Therefore

Fungal Fields: a Sth West WA mycological rejuvenation project

39 posts in this topic

Was just walking down the street in the sth west of WA and found a USB drive that had been lost (on purpose??). I plugged it in and found a file called bluetriangle.zip.

I opened it up and found some rather interesting plans for rejuvenating the Blue Triangle (Balingup, Nannup, Bridgetown area) with a unnamed 'native ornamental woodlover' as the author calls it. Can't find who who wrote this thing but i'll paraphrase some of the ideas below:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blue Triangle Project ~ Anon

There are a number of factors that affect the distribution and freedom of certain native ornamental woodlovers in the Sth West region of Western Australia. These include:

1.) small area of distribution

2.) regular police patrols in the small area

3.) low genetic variation

4.) reports of lower chemical content when compared to the same species of native ornamental woodlovers found in Melbourne

The Blue Triangle Project aims to lessen the impact of these limiting factors and increase the genetic variation and area of distribution.

The area in question will initially be limited to the Blue Triangle which is constrained by the towns of Balingup, Bridgetown, and Nannup. The outline of the roads are shown here in blue.

post-1997-0-55179000-1327551432_thumb.pn

post-1997-0-89185700-1327551858_thumb.pn

post-1997-0-27735800-1327551878_thumb.pn

The wood that will be used will be mostly Black Poplar (Populus nigra L. cv. Italica). The Black Poplar is listed as a weed in WA and is known to be very tasty food for native ornamental woodlovers. The trees sucker heavily and can grow to a height of 18 metres

The Blue Triangle Project has access to a large number of fully grown trees that were grown to lower the water level in a swampy area next to a dam. Farmer Joe Pistachio planted them to stop his lambs and sheep drowning.

post-1997-0-56834600-1327552138_thumb.pn

At this stage a few trees have been chopped so as to allow a few weeks of curing. The logs will be cut into 1 metre pieces for plugging with colonised wooden dowels. Smaller trees have also been cut and woodchipped to provide woodchipped and mulched beds near the swampy area. The area close to the former swampy area is suitably moist in summer and the 30-40 remaining trees provide shade from the summer heat.

Hand chopped with love

post-1997-0-78346100-1327552478_thumb.pn

Smaller pieces for mulching/woodchipping

post-1997-0-82176900-1327552491_thumb.pn

wrrrr goes the machine

post-1997-0-18670800-1327552502_thumb.pn

End result

post-1997-0-20800500-1327552514_thumb.pn

Full steam ahead. Bags of mulched/chipped Poplar wood. No point doing it half assed

post-1997-0-49066400-1327552524_thumb.pn

Friendly operatives have provided some colonised woodchips of the native ornamental woodlover. The source of these chips is Western Australia. Colonised chips of the melbourne variety are on route from Victoria.

Evetentually dowels of Tasmanian Oak will be colonised. Holes will be drilled in the cured Poplar and the dowels inserted.

post-1997-0-05253000-1327552806_thumb.pn

Left over chunks of wood will be utilised by being placed in beds.

post-1997-0-45149400-1327552948_thumb.pn

Some will be turned into mycological grenades

post-1997-0-34463300-1327553022_thumb.pn

Mycological Grenades will be utilised by the MTU (Mycologial Terrorist Unit).

5-6 colonised dowels will be drilled into these smaller bits of wood.

The small size will alow them to be surreptitiously placed into the woodchip piles of shire councils and into select garden beds in urban regional areas.

As i said earlier i have nothing to do with this project at all. I just found the .zip and thought i'd share

Certainly looks interesting.

4 people like this

sounds good

very interesting

I wonder whose it is :scratchhead:

if this goes it ahead it will become the stuff of legend.

the blue triangle. sounds like an mystical land of treasures. and in a few years it most likely will be.

go forth, send the loving grenades into the wilderness.

best of luck.

2 people like this

believe me its going ahead :) muahahaha

this stuff is already happening

and aparantly there are more people making it happen than i thought

good to see :wink:

2 people like this

believe me its going ahead :) muahahaha

this stuff is already happening

and aparantly there are more people making it happen than i thought

good to see :wink:

Yes, there's some inspiring posts to be found about the place :wink:

Seems like a loose knit group of separate individuals with common goals have been hard at work already.

Who kows what will happen if they make contact and start working together :devil:

Edited by .:. Greencavefloat .:.
2 people like this

My God, I feel so sorry for you WA folks. Is it really as bad as I hear? Nothing but gyms outside of Balingup? We Easties should run a Sponsor-A-Western-Australian scheme, where we have them come out for a week or two in winter and show them our secret spots.

2 people like this

My God, I feel so sorry for you WA folks. Is it really as bad as I hear? Nothing but gyms outside of Balingup? We Easties should run a Sponsor-A-Western-Australian scheme, where we have them come out for a week or two in winter and show them our secret spots.

yes it is quite bad

a foaf of mine once went up to Balingup and it was flooded really badly and they only found one mushroom of interest.

It was dark though and you could tell heaps of people had already been looking around

yes it is quite bad

a foaf of mine once went up to Balingup and it was flooded really badly and they only found one mushroom of interest.

It was dark though and you could tell heaps of people had already been looking around

Then they should keep looking. if it looks like a heap of people have been there, hunt somewhere elese :)

they where going to but the river was so flooded they couldn't get across to the good spot

falling in at 6am in the morning is not one i can recommend. :P

hahaha fuck that naja thats gotta be cold hahaha

last time i made the pilgrimage was about 3 or 4 yrs ago and everything was completely frozen

grass and plants litterally cracked and snapped and broke as you walked on it mushrooms were completely frozen solid

was pretty crazy to see but fucking so so cold haha :)

haha my foaf left at about 6 at night got there at i donno what time and got back at about 10 in the morning.

it was an epic trip for very little return but was still lots of fun xD

Absolutely fantastic thread, communal consciousness or what...

More thoughts - soaking some pine cones, draining them and then stuffing the gaps with spawn, then incubating until colonised - spawn bombs, just like your 'myco grenades'.

Or even better, get an old trailer, line it with black plastic with some holes poked in for drrainage, fill it with moist woodchips and spawn heavily. Then keep this moist and covered with a tarp until colonised, then tow it to desired location and shovel fulls go into every woodchip bed you can find. :)

3 people like this

seems like there are people spreading down south and around perth

i've always this idea of covering your car in spore prints

and driving through the forest dispersing them everywhere hahaha

not a great idea but it would be funny to see :)

or maybe it is a great idea

imagine seeing a car covered in prints driving through the forest

with pinecones and logs flying out the windows into the bush

hahahaha

if you ever see this you'll know its probly me haha :)

Edited by myco

What an absolutely terrific idea, it's a shame you didn't come up with it first, Therefore. :wink: A real beacon of hope for WA. What impresses me is the scale of it; after checking it out properly on google maps, it occured to me that it's a fair chunk of the bloody earth thats going to be transformed. What an inspiring effort.

Unfortunately I am new and mostly uneducated in the world of mycology so I haven't completely grocked exactly what's going to happen - but I think I understand the gist and the implications. I have a couple burning questions (which will be asked in the same fashion as an annoying child, rapidfire), apologies for my ignorance on the subject.

So it seems to me that this is an attempt to make that particular area of land more fruitful. Are the woodchips being spread to make areas more susceptible to certain woodloving mushrooms? If so, what sized areas will be covered in woodchips? What areas within the blue triangle would be picked over others and why? If certain mushrooms were to succesfully grow - would they continue to refruit (is the term fruit applicable to mushrooms?) for several seasons? Would they require a continued effort to keep the land susceptible or would it eventually reach a point where the land becomes succesfully 'rejuvenated' for years to come? If the reason for the woodchips is what I assumed, how many bags would you need exactly? What do you think will be the implications of a successful rejuvenation on the WA community? Where do babies come from? Where am I?

Edited by Buttcrabs

hahaha the idea is a little different to wat your getting at there

the blue triangle is reffering to the area were the species in question is already abundant

the plan is to spread them far and wide well beyond the blue triangle

the woodchips are simply to get things started by colonising woodchips with mycelium of the said mushrooms

they can then be spread to different locations wich some areas maybe council woodchip piles wich will then be spread around to garden beds everywhere aswell as introducing them to places where they will eventually grow from the wood debri of the natural bush and will not need to be constantly having woodchips added

they will eventually be growing wild in the native bush and become much more abundant in places where at the moment they do not grow

it has already been proven that they can be fruited well beyond the blue triangle

its now just a case of spreading mycelium far and wide :)

^^ yes what Myco said. I only just heard about this blue triangle. Some people have been quietly working for the cause for ages. In areas outside the triangle which may be even more suitable for these fungi.

A FOAFOAF i heard about said that the plan is to build up some good stock in the triangle and then start shifting it around in locations where it suits.

Supplies for agar work are coming soon. And it's hoped that clean agar wedges of melbourne subs will be put into jars of birch dowels. Dowels will then be drilled into cut logs. Once the logs are colonised they will be put into woodchips. Then, hopefully, the logs can be moved to areas away from the prying eyes of cops.

Summer is a good time to search for suitable spots as a good spot will be green even in summer heat. For instance farm dams next to the roadside have a certain amount of seepage and these areas are always green and moist.

The foafoaf is doing parts of it by the book. The book being The Mushroom Cultivator by Paul Stamets particurly pages 110 - 114

Once the primary bed has been established, it can likened to a perennial plant which is the nature of mushroom mycellium. Indoor spawn preparation and incubation become unnecessary. With each succesive year chips can be drawn fom the original bed and used as innoculum. This means the total bed area can be mutliplied by 5 on an annual basis

Foafoaf has his eyes on council woodchips as he doesn't want to be paying $20 a bag. Materials need to be cheap or free.

nice work hope this goes gangbusters and spreads far and wide is there any reason it is not expanding southward manji, pembo, denbarker

Why not innoculate the piles of woodchip kept in council depots and let the local government "chip in"?

Why not innoculate the piles of woodchip kept in council depots and let the local government "chip in"?

Yep, im trying to build up a good supply of colonised chips for insertion into various places. The garden beds in town are chipped with retic which is handy.

Also, thanks to the SAB member who sent me 2 lovely handfuls of aggressive Victorian sub myc. Ripping through my two pots of chip with thick rhizomorphic strands.

I suspect growth will slow down a bit now that it's getting cooler. Just bide the time until after the season :P

1 person likes this

Legend,this will become stuff of legend this tale.Lots is happening :-)A mates farmer mate said it is being done outa the triangle as well

Edited by nut