The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest reville

Australasian Free Seed Ring (AFSR)

Guest reville

Its been a while but it can now start...

The australasian free seed ring or AFSR

is based on ralphster44's Free spore ring

The website will be up soon as well as a web address on the SAB server

Within the australasian postal zone 1 pkt of seed will cost you AU$1. outside it will cost you US$1. this is to cover postage and packing.Excess accumulates and will be used to purchase bulk seed to be fed into the seedring

There is a limit of 1 pkt per order in order to minimise hoarding and ensure attention is given to each pkt recieved.

The address is

AFSR

PO box 2227

Kardinya WA

please include

* your specified name and address.

* seed request and either ' no substitute' meaning your order will be put on backorder if not available or a list of substitutes in order of preference

*your $1

and preferably any seed you would like to donate to the cause.Preferably clean seed with collection date species name variety if known and source.

* please tell us whether youd like us to keep

your details or dispose of them after sending

We keep all our details on paper.if you dont want us to simply write 'do not keep' on the bottom of the seed request.

This is an experiment at my own expense to make sure that all seeds can be exchanged even though retail outlets dont yet exist for most of them.

We exist to supplement ventures by dutchie Earthalchemist and later my own private venture.

I make this public promise that any seed sent to me in confidence for the purpose of free distribution will be used for that purpose and not used for personal profit

As All seed sold is sold unconditionally it may be used to start commercial ventures by anyone (including myself)

my benefit is the same as everyone elses in that i get access to a large diversity of seed (i also get to decide what bulk seed to buy with the excess funds)

Orders will be processed one day a week (yet to be decided) in order to limit its effect on my time, therefore orders may take 1- 2 weeks to process but we will endeavour to be as quick as possible.The website will hopefully be updated every week or fortnight depending on changes..

we can refine this as we go along

[This message has been edited by reville (edited 03 October 2001).]

Rev, yer a legend smile.gif

good to see its up and running.

kardi hey? just round the corner from me.

Cool. I'll put the details in my entheo-directory. Have you considered the use of postage stamps as currency. I don't know if you can trade stamps at the post office for cash but coins could get "lost" through the post.

great, rev, i've got some seeds to spare and certainly will want some that you have....

Great!

.... If anything is welcome...I'll donate some seeds....

Guest reville

Thanks for the support.

Like any open trading/barter system this wont work without your patronage and goodwill.

As far as bulk seed goes ( from excess proceeds) im thinking native species at first as it seems that thyre simply not in circulation.. (see my new thread on this)

thanks again

Current seed list

Almost all of this seed is collected within Suburbia from home-grown plants or plants from wastelands.

Have a look around and see whats growing in your local area.

Motherwort, siberian /Leonurus sibiricus

Sinicuiche/ Heimea salicifolia

Paeony poppy

Amaranthus spinosum

Datura meteloides

Tobacco/ N tabacum

soon..

Withania somnifera

Phalaris aquatica

Nicotiana glauca

and more..

Please dont think this is limited to Psychoactive plants - i was hoping to mirror all the sides of ethnobotany including medicinal and culinary plants as well as those with some sort of historical or genetic significance especially in australia not only for preservation but also for people outside australia. heres a funny example - 2 years ago i met a dutch guy in Wongan hills WA at a guesthouse. Hed never had pumpkins like we have here and was really excited by it, he took some seeds home with him - and we have some unique varieties here too modern and colonial. I dont think we need to become a pumpkin seedbank but plants like this with strong ethnobotanical links to our past are valid contributions

Oh yeah when you see the list you may say "Indian Mustard!?" well its in there cos of a

sentence in tim lows bok that mentions that the leaves have been used asa cannabis substitute (!) then again its a common claim tht often leads to nought but i thought -why not?

Guest reville

Spaced i like that idea about stamps and will

leave it as an option for those concerned about postal integrity

you may send $1 or/ 2 X 45c stamps - one already attached to an SSAE. thanks

Id really like to start off by getting together second generation seed from the annual and otherwise common plants that were offerrred by SAB that arent likely to be taken up by new retailers in the near future

Argemone/ Artemisia/ Atropa/ catharantheus/

Datura/ Eschscholzia/ Erythrina sp./ Eupatorium/ Lactuca/ Leonotis/ leonurus/ Lobelia/ nicotiana/ Ocimum/ papaver/ Phalaris/ salvia/ sida/ stipa/ tagetes/ Tribulus and withania

exxcellent Rev,

I might be able to help with heaps of Sida species (and genetic varieties within each species) and Argyreia. Eden seeds has Ocimum sanctum and Artemisias. A lot of other stuff i only have my starting lots and am still waiting for seeding.

cya

Adam.

good on ya bro

if only I knew a couple of weeks ago I could have sent up a shitload of calea seeds but I was too lazy (and had no reason) to collect em. should have some calmus seeds soon. i hope everyone will be doing their part smile.gif

Tac ethnobotanicals sells the calea herb...with seeds in it.... check it out!

Guest reville

Once again thankyou for the support.

The calea seed problem is part of the reason i want to do this.

I have a lot of material that i grow harvest and it just sits around for several years losing viability.. i thought itd be better to

disperse it.

Thanks for the sida offer fractal. As for the HBWR i have plenty of extra from the ones you sent me - may i use those? I dont want to interfere with any venture of yours.Your strain seems a prefferred one judging from talk on the chilli space so itd be nice to distribute some more seeds.

also this can start to build up the knowledge essential to the collation of Earthalchemists kallangurs garden project

cant wait to recieve additional seeds

thanks

rev

I'll be happy to donate some seeds when I have some spare.

Will you have a supply and demand list on the site? (probably a stupid question)

E D

No worries Rev. I'd be honoured to see my HBWR strain gettin' around the world. Maybe I should make up a special name for it. wink.gif There will be heaps of other things i can put into the seed ring as time goes on...

Good job Reville.

I am just wondering if you will expand this ring to include cuttings as well if things work out?

Good Luck to you.

sorry for the delays. the seedring should be on the server in 3-4 days.

Guest KasperX

Just want to say that this is a great idea especially for beginners like myself.

Good on you, reville.

Guest reville
Will you have a supply and demand list on the site?

E D[/b]

Yes i will. at the moment the choice is very limited but by th looks of it ill have heaps of great stuff really soon.

Im hoping to sort it out so that there are indicators to show how low we are on seed but as you say an indicator of supply/demand would be more appropriate. something i will figure out as this idea evolves

as for cuttings the answer for now is no..

Four reasons..

perishability

Quarantine and general hygiene

Postage costs

and finally..

Itd make a great little business opportunity

for someone and id rather see that than ad hoc cuttings. supplying SD (and multiple strains), brugs, b caapi etc etc. Its a whole business unto itself.

Im not sure what ill do commercially but i habve a few ideas. For now its just Uni work and the seedring though.

BTW Thanks Torsten - ill write to you tommorrow re piccys and such

[This message has been edited by reville (edited 10 October 2001).]

In for a penny in for a pound!!!youll get a buck outa me!!!I can never forget Neil from the young ones..."I plant the seed ...Nature Grows the seed ....I reap the seed!!!!

"The emphasis, then, should be on propagation: to own the only plant of a rarity and make no effort to multiply it is false economy, for one day it will die. If you had handed out offsets, someone might then be in a position to offer a replacement. 'If you want to keep a plant, give it away' is a maxim that has been handed down through generations of gardeners. Even more important is the future of a whole collection - a point many a grower never thinks about. He dies, his plants are left until they become pest ridden and unsaleable, and a life's work in building up a collection is lost in a few months. Verbal or (better) written instructions should always be left on how to dispose of your collection in the event of your death.

"Greater education of the young in respect for nature, and an increased awareness among collectors of what they stand to guard, will achieve more for conservation in the long run than harsh laws that are difficult to enforce and often bring unwanted attention to the rarities they seek to protect."

From

Gordon Rowley, 1978, Chapter 7: Conservation a Thought for the Future in the "Illustrated Encyclopedia of Succulents", Salamander Books Ltd

Early on this year Assassin sent me a heap of Datura Stram. and Heimia salicifolia seeds.

I would just like to know how long these seeds remain viable for, because if they are still viable I would like to send them in to the seed ring on behalf of assassin.

Thanks