The Corroboree
Bert&Ernie

Ants farming on my cacti

Okay so I've been seeing these little black ants on a Cereus cutting that's been growing on its own root for about 6 months at first I thought nothing of it until I saw them putting dirt on a little pup growing out the top witch seemed a little suspicious (so I blew it off and got dirt in my eye lol), And these little Gray scale looking things.

I usually don't mind them farming as long as it doesn't harm my plants to much and they didn't look like they where doing harm until about 5 minutes ago when I went to look at my babies (cacti) as I usually do on a nice day like to day and I noticed the pup was black! :ana:

so I ripped the pup off and threw it away. I put some tomato dust on it to see if that will make the little ants disappear.

I have a few questions:

1. why where they putting dirt on a cactus? (where they trying to make a home in it?)

2. is tomato dust suitable for using on cacti that has an infection?

3. what is the best method for getting these annoying little black ants away from my beloved babies?

also has anyone else had this or something similar happen to them?

thanks for any help oh and I hope this makes sense if it doesn't just ask what the hell I am talking about :blush:

1. They would be making a home around the afids. The ants move the afids so they can feed on your cacti and the afid make something like honey for the ants to eat

2. Tomato dust should probably work but it wouldn't be the best thing to use i wouldn't imagine

3. I would just spray a small ring of some ant killer around the base of the cacti just above the ground to stop them climbing it.

• Like 1

oh forgot to mention it is in a pot

thanks for the help cactuscarl

Ive always been very cautious of ants living around my cacti after I saw them coming out of a sick cactus that theyd hollowed out, or was hollow and they decided to move in.

I tend to just flood anthills in the cactus zone and leave them alone on the other side of the garden. I think we are slowly reaching a compromise and I have had no problmes

sometimes i get tiny flys hangin out in my soil? Anyone know what that is?

Not trying to hi-ack ya thread either :)

Chef

Jwerta there is one thing and one thing only which will get of ants in wa. Amdro. yeah it's poison but sometimes you gotta bring out the big guns. Just spread it around where they are hanging out and don't water for a few days and they should be gone for at least 6-8 months. Usually I try to be a bit let's try and live together but if they start getting too close then all bets are off.

sometimes i get tiny flys hangin out in my soil? Anyone know what that is?

Not trying to hi-ack ya thread either :)

Chef

Probably sciarid fly

Edited by tipz

they look like tiny fruit flys.. r they bad?

utse chef :)

Edited by tipz

Jwerta there is one thing and one thing only which will get of ants in wa. Amdro. yeah it's poison but sometimes you gotta bring out the big guns. Just spread it around where they are hanging out and don't water for a few days and they should be gone for at least 6-8 months. Usually I try to be a bit let's try and live together but if they start getting too close then all bets are off.

thanks my nans house which is out the back of my house just found out it had termites so we will be getting some of that stuff you mention pretty soon anyway... the tomato dust got them off my cacti anyway

oh does anyone know if tomato dust is ok to use on cacti cuttings?

utse chef :)

utse?

utse?

i reckon you could find out what that stands for be utilising the search engine on this forum

my caapi has ants on it... but i don't think they're doing anything, just climbing up it to get somewhere

edit: trying to be on topic on an off topic post... and i forgot what thread i was in >.<

Edited by Distracted
  • Like 1

i reckon you could find out what that stands for be utilising the search engine on this forum

my caapi has ants on it... but i don't think they're doing anything, just climbing up it to get somewhere

watch them distracted - they feed off the extra floral nectaries ( yellow spots on the undeside of the leaf )