The Corroboree
niggles

Anyone else like the Joe Rogan Experience?

In the last 6 months, Ive really started to warm to the Joe Rogan Experience podcast (http://www.joerogan.net)

If you dont know him, he is a comedian from the US, he hosted Fear Factor, and is a commentator on the UFC.

He also has an isolation tank in his basement and likes to take mushrooms in it :)

The podcast is usually him and a few other comedians chatting about whatever takes their fancy, but he often has interesting guests on, recently I was entertained by his talks with Michael Ruppert, Kevin Smith, a few guys off Vice, and he claims Dennis McKenna recently contacted him to come on the show.

He often mentions interesting parts of popular culture (new movies, books, ideas) that Ive completely missed because I dont pay attention.

I dont always agree with is opinions, sometimes his research is a little lacking, but he is entertaining and often broaches topics I like to listen to.

I reckon its worth a listen.

What do you think?

• Like 1

i think his voice is annoying, and some of the stuff he says is a bit BS, but i have to respect that as a well known social commentator, especially being a part of ufc, which has millions of followers worldwide, he is open about using certain compounds, and is promoting a positive outlook on them, and he even put his face on the spirit molecule doco, which would make it appealing to many that would not normally be interested in a doco like that.

so all in all, i respect him but think he's annoying.

• Like 1

so all in all, i respect him but think he's annoying.

HEhe yeah I think my housemates feel the same way, but they usually end up listening cos he talks interesting topics with good guests.

his isolation tank and dmt chat etc is fairly old, honesly though i really like the guy. i have the first UFC's 1-20 on dvd and i think he first pops up in a round about UFC 11 which is 1997ish. Im sure you can wiki all of this but i believe he was an late belt tai kwon do practitioner and he now is a brown belt in brazilian ju jitsu and his early calls on oma platas and kimuras etc on UFC today you cannot but respect. his chat on drugs etc just goes to show that you can lead a wholesome a productive life and be respected whilst dabbling in recreational drugs and his honesty and insights are refreshing. i also like the way when he interviews people how he becomes one with them by putting a handon their shoulders thus joining them in a spiritual non confronting type of interview/subject symbiosis. His chat is a mixture of time fill and insight mixed with knowledge and he makes a point to get into the mind of a fighter then he himself must be accepted as a fighter and i can only respect him for that. He is the blueprint for future journalsts and media.

He was discussing isolation tanks, dmt and out of body experiences with Hamilton Morris this morning.

---edit-- and weaponised THC hehe

Edited by niggles

If it's the guy I'm thinking of, Joe Rogen has an upper arm sleeve tattoo that includes an indelible illustration of the DMT molecule.

Yeah man, this is the same guy. He basically got 'turned on', and is a big advocate of psy journeys, without having that whole hippy or drippy spiritual association.

Check it out:

joe-rogan-tat.jpg

yeah its a decent listen, some of his guests are quite good characters too. And eddie bravo, they have some stories hehe.

I listen to him every now and then, if I'm bored I'll just chuck a pod cast on.

Sometimes he gets boring, but it's general very listenable.

niggles you've actually made me want to check out some of his talk shows, i'd definitely be keen for one with dennis mckenna if that ever happened.

he flowed pretty well in that interview, and got his point across quite well, but there were some things which weren't too accurate, in particular i didn't agree with what he said about bad trips happening to bad people and not ordinary people, it's much more complex than that, but perhaps he was trying to make it easier for a broader audience to understand. in particular much of the ufc demographic.

A regular JRE podcast listener and UFC fan here !

I especially like Joey Diaz and Bert Kriescher, they crack me up !

Hamilton Morris and Graham Hancock are favourites also.

I havent had a listen in a while. Might give it another shot on my day off tomorrow.

Graham hancock was cool wasnt he :)

you know he wrote a fictional ayahuasca thriller?

never heard of that before!

Oh yeah and that guy Aubrey Marcus who described his ayahuasca experience in the amazon (with his mother), that was the best explanation I have ever heard of the ayahuasca experience.

He's vivid proof that DMT doesn't necessarily lead to any more enlightenment than a UFC punch to the head.

• Like 1

He's vivid proof that DMT doesn't necessarily lead to any more enlightenment than a UFC punch to the head.

Im not sure I agree, hes pretty stable and cool for a blokey american. Wether it was DMT or punches to the head I couldnt say :P

I liked his recent chat with Jason Silva:

& here's a short excerpt:

But I think this has more to do with my interest in Jason Silva than any acute appreciation for Joe Rogan. ;)

Edited by Kookaburra

dude i just watched that whole thing and am now gonna be severely sleep deprived for 6 hours of tafe tomorrow...

fuck.

thanks anyway

But I think this has more to do with my interest in Jason Silva than any acute appreciation for Joe Rogan. ;)

You're such a groupie!

i'm a big fan.

would recommend checking out some of the rest of that scene's podcasts. Duncan Trussel Family Hour, Ari Schaffir's Skeptic Tank and most the stuff on Deathsquad. Podcasts are a fascinating format. Conversations are long and intense so you can really get to see how someone thinks which is fascinating and beneficial when devloping the way that you want to think.

• Like 1

Listened to this for the first time today because Sam Harris was on it.

Really good actually, but I'm an unashamed Sam Harris fan.

And Rogan was better than I had him pegged initially. Now I don't know if he's the thinking jock's man, or the thinking man's jock.

In the interests of Sam Harris evangelism, a link: http://blog.joerogan.net/archives/4463

Edited by MORG

I like a lot of what Joe does, but not all. I think it's a shame when it feels like he's just brought a couple of buddies onto the show, who don't really know anything about anything, and sound like they're talking rubbish the whole time.

Edited by Ayahuasca137