The Corroboree
Psylo

Wikipedia Blackout

some of us hold the internet in higher esteem so please show empathy towards us.

• Like 1

Santiago... the problem i see with your post isn't so much one that you're using the internet to complain about the internet... that's just funny.

It's more that your crusade against the internet and pointless crusades is just the same and just as pointless as any other crusade and fear mongering. It's hypocritical at every turn.

The internet is the free flow of information... stop that and we plunge into a mini age of darkness.

What I find somewhat hilariously ironic is that the recording industries were out laughing-stock for years for failing to fight change with change, and sticking to their outdated model like none others existed.

We're in the exact same position, sticking to our hierarchical tree model of connectivity (the internet) instead of fighting change with change (we're also being laughed at). The solution that seems obvious to me is to use this ubiquitous wireless connectivity that we all have available, to connect directly to eachother and build local networks. Basically real peer-to-peer.

p2p as you know it is only emulated, through an overlay network.

It's almost uncontrollable, other than through using a defined protocol family.

I have not thought about the protocol, and what the content would be, but it's high time that we stopped being dependent on the internet. There are other network connection models options available, and we're being crybabies for not investigating them and sticking to the outdated model we have like none others existed.

I agree and disagree with you Santiago, depending on the point you're making. I think without the internet, these days, much of society would crash and burn. The entirety of the stock exchange, many communications, huge corporations and much else relies either entirely, or heavily on the internet. I think the damage its loss would do to society would be as extensive as if the automobile ceased, or all telecommunications, or money. As much as you may not like it, the internet is definitely an integral part of our lives, and a strong part of not only the society, but the effective function of such.

I did not get here through ethno beliefs. Other interests led me to this site, and the same other interests will keep me here. I don't have much care for those who would use ethnos as their crutch, or rely on them in any way.

and this woe is me attitude of me vs the government is starting to wear a bit thin.

Do you think your woe is me attitude of you vs the internet does not do the same?

@Bluntmuffin. This and this are parts of reddit dedicated to developing an alternative p2p network. There are major difficulties, like bridging the inter-continental gaps etc, but there are definitely some people working on it. You may have some interest in that. There are some links on the right of the page if you want to look into it further.

• Like 2

Cheers Sheather - I hadn't heard of it. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who sees the futility in trying to keep a centralized system from being corrupted. :P

Yeah cheers for sharing sheather some interesting stuff on there good read.

Why was MegaUpload really shut down?

In December of 2011, just weeks before the takedown, Digital Music News reported on something new that the creators of #Megaupload were about to unroll. Something that would rock the music industry to its core. (http://goo.gl/A7wUZ)

I present to you... MegaBox. MegaBox was going to be an alternative music store that was entirely cloud-based and offered artists a better money-making opportunity than they would get with any record label.

"UMG knows that we are going to compete with them via our own music venture called Megabox.com, a site that will soon allow artists to sell their creations directly to consumers while allowing artists to keep 90 percent of earnings," MegaUpload founder Kim 'Dotcom' Schmitz told Torrentfreak

Not only did they plan on allowing artists to keep 90% of their earnings on songs that they sold, they wanted to pay them for songs they let users download for free.

"We have a solution called the Megakey that will allow artists to earn income from users who download music for free," Dotcom outlined. "Yes that's right, we will pay artists even for free downloads. The Megakey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works."

The internet is the free flow of information... stop that and we plunge into a mini age of darkness.

While I agree with everything else in your post #27, I'm going to disagree with the quoted statement above. The world of social networks ran just as smoothly before the widespread trend of current technology, in fact I'm going to say it performed better. You meet with mates at a gig/pub/party/park/festival at an agreed time. It worked well. People depended on each other's reliability. These days, there's too many excuses and 'get-outs' for folks to be reliable.

And fuck. I mean, FUCK. What about when you arrange to meet people these days, and they get there first, decide to SMS you at 7.31pm saying "Yo, Psylo, I'm here on Platform 8, where are you?" after the mutual agreement was always "yea, lets meet on platform 8 at 7.30pm for the 7.45 train to *wherever*. Fuck, I'm literally a minute away, it's one minute after our agreed meet up time, and you're fucking stressing? Fuck off with your messages.

As for information, I'm getting a bit fucking sick of the computer being the 'go-to' for clarification on discussions. Let's say a small group of friends are chillin' to vibes, pipes & beers, having a good chat, sharing our understandings of a given subject, spculating, hypothesising, enjoying the interaction. The some noodlehead says "hey, let's check out the FACTS on the internet". FAAAAAAAAARK. Conversation just died. But we got the 'truth'... where does it go from here. (it should be said that I am very often that noodlehead, because its just so darn tempting to 'google it')

WHere does the conversation go ?

Damn this weather's been funny lately ? Oh, there's a 'flu that's going around ! I like your shoes, are they Jimmy Choo ?

The internet is a wonderful thing, don't misconstrue my words. But the times before mainstream acceptance of the technology was not "the Dark Ages" by any stretch.

The days of writing to loved ones in your own heart-fuelled hand on a postcard when overseas, that personal touch, is a lost social treasure. And for those old-timers who try and keep the torch alight, theres no support. Speaking to a work colleague last week, she told me of an old guy who lives in her apartment. The fellow has a mature aged daughter living in the UK for many years, he likes to write to her, but doesnt habe any inclination to get computer savvy. He like to WRITE to her, with his own hand. Dear daughter, however, has refused to keep him updated with her address, because it's all about emails for her. SO my colloeague helps the old-timer out by taking his letters, scanning them and emailing the image to the daughter. Dear daughter will respond with an email (keyboard typed), of which my colloeague will print off for the old-timer to read.

This is, to me, a fucked up scenario.

Would be cool if all ethno related stuff was shared over darknets, except that I would almost certainly know nothing about them.

Yea man, great point....... the knowledge sharing of cultural usage of plants began with the internet. :rolleyes:

Not sure what made you think that was my point.. I think you are reading stuff into what I wrote, of course I am aware that knowledge (of all kinds) has been shared for long before the internet existed!

I was simply commenting that I personally am pretty out of the loop even with the internet, and so as cool as I think they are I would be the least likely kind of person to know about darknets and dark internet (which are still kind of the internet anyway).

Psylo Dread is just being sarcastic and antagonistic.

The world of social networks ran just as smoothly before the widespread trend of current technology

As it did before the automobile and telephone. It just so happens that without them these days, things get difficult for a vast majority of the population. If you're hanging with the peopl that use an "out" then they obviously want to spend their time elsewhere.

The next paragraph has nothing to do with the net, so I guess that's just a piece of rant. Then you go on about being sick of computers being a go-to for knowledge. Are you suggesting you'd rather ignorance to knowlege? Just for the sake of continued conversation? And you admit to being the one to propose going to the computer a lot of the time! It is hardly the internet's fault that you cannot practice self restrain to a level you find satisfactory.

And a successful finish up with an anecdote regarding one sad relationship. I have a couple of my own, including but not limited to having letters sent between myself and my mother and girlfriend, between girlfriend and pen-pal, and between my grandparents and the entirety of this household. But there again, that fault hardly lies with the internet. That girl just doesn't appreciate what she has. She could have typed it on a typewriter and mailed it before computers were designed, or sent a telegraph.

You sound bitter. Like you have a personal little hatred against something that is not inherently bad, despite its bad use by some. You should go on a rant about the evils of vehicles next, because drunk drivers and hoons mean cars are bad for society.

EDIT: Starting to regret that response already...

Edited by Sheather

Not sure what made you think that was my point..

I'm on a contiuous month-long substance binge, so please work with me here, guys :innocent_n:

You sound bitter. Like you have a personal little hatred against something that is not inherently bad, despite its bad use by some. You should go on a rant about the evils of vehicles next, because drunk drivers and hoons mean cars are bad for society.

I'm almost approaching that stage in life where I'll be writing letters to the editor of my local municipal newspaper. bemoaning the schedule change of the garbage collection service from 7am Wednesdays to 7.45 Wednesdays. It's a beurecratic bungle over there at CIty hall these days.

• Like 1

Does these lawmakers even care that these sites are going on blackouts? Remember, these are the same sites that will be affected once this bill is passed.

It's really up to us, the internet users, to stop it.

Does these lawmakers even care that these sites are going on blackouts? Remember, these are the same sites that will be affected once this bill is passed.

It's really up to us, the internet users, to stop it.

Does a duplicate post represent your intention to bring the system down, one kB at a time? :o

• Like 1