The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i agree with alice, as far as i can see vuel wasn't blaming a whole race of people for stealing his plant, thats just fucking stupid... wasn't he just pointing out that in his area there is a large community of people that come from regions of africa that love chewing khat?... put two & two together & it seems fairly likely that it may very well have been someone from that community... not garanteed of course but fairly fucking likely... thats not racist it's just logic..

i would almost go as far as to say that crying racism in situations like this where there is such a simple & logical connection that can be made between two things is racist itself... i don't even see how race is really relevant... no matter what their race, many many many people from areas around the horn of africa are well known for absolutely loving to chew khat with a passion...

large community of people from said area live nearby... them being almost the only people on the planet (except ethno heads) that know how to identify khat & a plant goes missing... how can you not make a connection? jeez

we live in a global community whether we like it or not, sensitivity is key but we also have to move forward & keep it fucking real! otherwise we're going fucking backwards.. & by keeping it real i don't mean expressing ones ignorant bigotry because thats what you really feel, i mean.. well, just keep it fucking real! if you're a dumb shit bigot then wake the fuck up & if, in trying to be politically correct you're hysterically making an issue out of race when actually there isn't one then you're doing more damage than good.

for what it's worth (SFA :rolleyes:) i too am in a long term relationship with an african migrant

EDIT: Oh & i haven't actually read the whole thread

also agree with sapito that staring down some random kids is stupid... isn't that just mean? they probably didn't know what the hell to think... some rando guy staring them down molevolently... no wonder they looked uncomfortable!

I didnt consider the first post to be openly racist but I think that was the choice of words rather than what vaul really thinks. The use of 'abo' later on was pretty dodgy IMO.

What's the problem with "abo" ? It's just an abbreviation, such as "Leb" or "Aussie", neither of which identified groups seem too upset at it's usage. A non-justified reference is far more scathing, such as "Yanks" (most USA people do not identity with New England settlers), "Kiwi's" (New Zealand folk are little flightless birds?) or "Pommies" (I got nothin' on that one).

Use "Abo" to your heart's content, if we're going to use the term "Aussie" at any time without shame. Or, go ahead and be selectively hypocritical and cry racism, ya bleedin' heart blouse wearin' nancy boys.

With apologies to all the Nancy's I've loved before.

EDIT: Oh & i haven't actually read the whole thread

Nice work, feeling the need to express your opinion in such detail on a subject that you have not bothered to read. Should we all assign as much value in your words as you obviously do, or simply skip your post and move on?

no i was commenting on a few specific posts, but do what you like... & by the way, 'abo' has a long history of use in a very demeaning & derogatory way by white people, where as aussie is a word coined by white australians for themselves... if you can't see the difference you're an idiot

you've almost got a leg to stand on since abo is an abbreviation, but i reckon it is used almost exclusively as a racial slur so most of the time it's no better than saying boong.

if you can't see the difference you're an idiot

I sure am !

You should try walking around the streets of allice springs using the word abo till your hearts content.

I mean, you'd end up in the hospital pissing blood. But as you so intelligently pointed out, it's just an abbreviation.

Peace 

they're all just words, words don't have to be offensive, it is only the context in which they are used that can be offensive in nature. the term nigger or nigga is now commonly used in a friendly manner like "yo what up my nigga?", in this context nigga is synonymous with brother/brotha/homie/friend/mate/etc. social consciousness has evolved past culture and race with the post-race movement, obama the race of.

it is now acceptable for whities to refer to other whities or even their darker mates as nigger/nigga (though nigga is the more acceptable term).

you may have seen this before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzltOo8_Z9c

many people are still stuck within culture and race, but you don't have to be one of them, you can move past them and effectively make racism inane and redundant

You should try walking around the streets of allice springs using the word abo till your hearts content.

I mean, you'd end up in the hospital pissing blood. But as you so intelligently pointed out, it's just an abbreviation.

Peace

Nice work on promoting race war stereotypes against this country's indigenous people. Talk about the master of beating up propaganda... AGAIN. Anyway we were taking about that awful xenophobe Vual and the weak-as-piss allegations that he's a racist. Who else can we accuse of racism today, jabez? Can we use the term "Lebbo"? I use that one often amongst friends & family. Also "cuzzy" towards my maori mates, who don't mind at all, but you may have something to say against it. As spokesperson for all that it right and decent in human behaviour, I'm really, really looking forward to your response, as a shining light of guidance to all that is right & acceptable in society.

Oh, no those words arent right either. I meant to say I'm increasingly not giving a fuck about the crap youre rattling on about. Here's where you say something derogatory but clever towards me.

The term abo is racist even though it's shortened.

Just like the term Jap in america, or the term Jew.

You can say they're not racist to you... but you can't argue that the majority of the race that would hear you say that word wouldn't be offended by it's use. It may or may not be a logical thing, that's not up for debate.

Just deal with it

...or you can end up like this guy:

Do many of you realise how incredibly insulting the term "Yank" is to many Americans, in the context of the word? Do many of you even know why? I wonder how many refrain from using the term, or would kick up such a stink if it was used in a forum thread. None, oh of course not, that different because.... (insert inane justification here)

It's not different, it's still racist. Just like saying the word jap. Of course these words may not seem racist in certain cultures but to discount them without knowing their history is ignorant(not meant to be an offensive use of the word).

Just like I said before, Jap is meant to be incredibly offensive to japenese people from WW2 but in Australia we have Jap Auto Dismantlers and countless other businesses with the word Jap in it.

If anything i'd agree with chnt's first movie, it's all about the context and culture you use it in... but to simply say these words aren't racist seems like argueing for arguements sake.

We all know they're just words, emotion isn't logical though, you can't simply out-think it.

:P

that's more of a nationality thing though isn't it? i might be offended if a tourist called me a convict but that's not really a racial slur and quite often can be said in jest. if the tourist called me something like whitey then it has entered the realm of racial slur and is considered especially offensive.

hey, whatever. i don't remember who said abo. just know that you won't win much respect by throwing around racial slurs.

I get more offended when people say i'm from new zealand.

Roentsch (1985b) offers a useful definition:

“Let there be no misunderstanding. ... a racist is

anyone who accepts the existence of racial collectives”,

i.e. assigns attributes to an individual purely on the basis

of their membership of a racial group; usually of a negative

kind in the way that racism is commonly meant.

Racism is a social construct... if you align yourself with a race... you are being racist. :D

i think it is different. yeah, some words depicting nationalities can be pretty hateful, but it doesn't approach the ugliness of using a DEROGATORY name for somebodies supposed race. it says 'my race is superior' and justifies the dreadful atrocities that have been committed on the basis of racial superiority.

it may not always be the intended meaning, but the word "abo" says that a person is inferior because of their ancestry, and words like pom and yank don't approach that level of hate.

i think it is different. yeah, some words depicting nationalities can be pretty hateful, but it doesn't approach the ugliness of using a DEROGATORY name for somebodies supposed race. it says 'my race is superior' and justifies the dreadful atrocities that have been committed on the basis of racial superiority.

it may not always be the intended meaning, but the word "abo" says that a person is inferior because of their ancestry, and words like pom and yank don't approach that level of hate.

I dont know if ANYONE in this thread is being racist, however theres a lot of accusations flying around, first at Vual, then onto others. What is this disease ? Denialism ?

And Im not promoting the use of the term 'abo' either (this is stated for a certain narrow minded person not presently contributing *yet* who likes to jump to conclusions bout my posts at every opportunity), but illustrating the double standards that people have in relation to casually using the term "Yank". Or "Kraut"... is that acceptable as a term for someone ? Only as much as Abo, Kiwi , Wog or Curry Muncher.

I thought we came a long way when Nik Gianopolous casualised the term "Wog", but it appears we're heading back into the nanny age of sensitivitiy, where the denialists will go to lengths to wrongly accuse others of their own internal hate crimes .

I cop the terms weirdo, asshole, terrorist, hippy, freak, almost daily, but Im not running off to human resources to cry about it. That's life, and I think its funny. Maybe its my denial of the pain it causes me that creates the humour. :rolleyes:

You nannas need to relax.

I've got to be honest with you here pyslo dread. I'm yet to see you post a single post on this forum that doesn't come across as immature and for the sole purpose of provocation. Just my personal opinion.

Aboriginals find the word "abo" demeaning, which by definition makes it racist. So just deal with it.

Peace

Jabez ! most posts i see from you are provocative or argumentative.

talk about the pot boiling the kettle black ( no pun intended )

sorry - had to say it

peace

E

What's the problem with "abo" ? It's just an abbreviation, such as "Leb" or "Aussie", neither of which identified groups seem too upset at it's usage. A non-justified reference is far more scathing, such as "Yanks" (most USA people do not identity with New England settlers), "Kiwi's" (New Zealand folk are little flightless birds?) or "Pommies" (I got nothin' on that one).

I think people forget the relationship of power that goes along with the words. A white person calling aboriginal people abo has a lot more power/impact than an aboriginal person calling a white person whitey or whatever. Being white is considered a superior status by many so to be called white has little impact but the negative associations that are associated with being black are quite prominent in out society so terms such as abo have a greater impact. I think being a minority and the little political or social status these groups have makes it very different, though it doesnt not make one better than the other.

I dont use any of those other terms you mentioned except for the occasion someone asks me if I am aussies, I will agree that yes I am. Kiwi, pommie and yank dont makes sense to me so I dont use them. So that dont really apply. Im surprises you cant see that there is more attached to the term then it simply being an abbreviation.

Im sure most people have been called some generalising term based on their appearance but being called a hippy or whatever is also a choice we make to look a certain way while the colours of your skin is not so easy to choose.

My 2c:

Written racism is not about which words you use, but how you use those words. It's the difference between "fuck this shit", and "fuck you". Even if this distinction is made, you will still offend some people. You may not think you are offending them, but it's not your decision to decide if they should feel offended (regardless of whether it's irrational).

So in my opinion, it's all about whether you want to offend these people for your freedom to wantonly use a few designated words. In my case - I don't really mind skipping a few words. :)

Well tipz, I suppose that's the difference between you and me then. I just call it how I see it, in a clear and straight manner without sugar coating it, then that's the end of it for me. I don't hold grudges. Which imo, is a sign of respect that is very rare among my fellow human. I would like nothing better than If more people showed me the same respect.

But obviously you would rather just get all cute (referring to the enlarged and colour coded "peace") and then apologize for saying what you think! Personally, I find it very difficult to respect a persons honest opinion when they feel the need to apologize about it, but that's just me. Why would you be sorry if that's what you really think?

btw, well I'm here and for the sake of argument, lol. How do the 2 even compare? You said a lot of my posts a argumentative or provocative, but can you with all honestly say they don't serve a purpose of making a point (whether you agree or not), other than to just piss people off? Because I never made any claim to have an issue with people posting a provocative post to prove an honest point. I clearly stated that pyslo dreads posts come across to me as completely meaningless expect for the purpose of pure provocation. It's like comparing apples and oranges mate. IMHO.

I mean, on the one side he's on his high horse, saying people are picking at straws, to make the claim that staring down a few kids because they come from Africa and saying the word "abo" is racist. But at the same time he's trying to find racism in every other technicality he can find. 

Well anyway,

Peace (as in, once I hit the reply button there is no bitterness from my side and I don't have a grudge against anyone)

You really think that's where Psylo is coming from Jabez ?

From my perspective all I saw was someone trying cut through the tension with a bit of satire.

In a face to face situation that sort of thing can often make people see how serious they are getting over something that doesn't really need to be defended so vehemently.

I guess something gets lost in a communication based on text.