The Corroboree
Illustro

Flimsy Catha

Hola,

So, my friend Pablo has a Catha tree which is pretty flimsy.. Its been in the ground ca. 1 year, and has grown from ca. 40cm to ca. 260cm tall in this time. Problem is, that the root system seems not strong enough to bear this mass, and when the wind blows strong, the root mass closest the trunk (<30cm) visibly moves up from the soil, causing the tree to lean more, and subsequently cause more root mass to lift. Pablo has temporarily restrained the trunk with poles and flexible ties, allowing the trunk to move 20-30cm, but not enough to cause the roots to move. The plant doesn't seem to be getting any stronger though (been like that ca. 6 months), and Pablo was wondering whether the plant may need to be topped? Coppiced? Cut back to the ground? Other?

Pablo theorizes that the plant is just growing too tall for the root system to keep up with? Any other ideas? Pablo figures if he removes the main trunk, hopefully the next shoot to take apical dominance will come from elsewhere in the root system, or if not, setting it back will give time for the roots to 'catch up' with the growing main shoot(s)?

Gracias.

yeah, I'd just cut it back, I assume there are plenty of shoots coming from the base anyways. I don't see any problem with doing so.

Sometimes that can happen if the tree was rootbound before it was planted. The roots spiral around the pot and when you plant it they tend to stay where they are and not extend to the surrounding soil properly.

If you do have a rootbound tree it really pays to make some vertical cuts through the roots from the surface to the bottom of the root ball before you plant it out. Some delicate species don't like too much root disturbance so they need to be planted out before they become rootbound for the best results.

Catha can take a root pruning so now it's in the ground it could help to spade cut the roots without digging it up. You want the cuts to be like spokes on a wheel if you view the tree from directly above, make 3 or 4 cuts so that they cut into the old root ball by an inch or so and extend down as far as possible. If the soil is too hard to push a spade (sharpened) into you might be better to dig it back up and make some cuts with knife or secateurs.

It will set the tree back for a while but the new root growth should start to extend into the surrounding soil in a few months.

I don't think catha gets root bound unless grown from seed maybe. it is adventitious rooting, so any root that reaches into free space will become dominant. or new roots will simply take over.

I've had a similar problem with catha that was planted on clay. yes, I mean ON clay, not IN. I planted one in a bed that consisted of compost and mulch which was pretty much just dumped on uncultivated clay. The roots ended up not penetrating any deeper than the mulch [20cm] and shot laterally. Plant is 2.5m tall and roots about the same length. I actually tore the plant up by accident when digging a hole with an excavator 1.5m away. There were only 3 main lateral roots and I happen to snag one.

I guess any major change in strata could cause this, eg sand on top of loam, soil on top of pebbles or rocks, etc

if my plant had been watered or fed more the tops would have outgrown the root support long ago. I reckon cut the plant back and also do what sallyD says as extra roots can't hurt.

Cheers for the replies, so chop the tree it is...just, how low shall Pablo go?..all the way; we be talking dowwwn-towwwn? Mhmm!..

VERY GOOD,

trim it

i would not trimm it or stake it or do anything.

just dont do anything!

the flimsy stem will bend down and strong shoots will arrive from the base and even from the 3/4 point of the flimsy shoot,

those new ones will be much stronger.

if you stake, you will discourage, strong upright shoots from forming.

if you cut, you will, discourage the virgor of the plant overall.

if you cut and after doing so, there is suddenly far less above ground growth left, even the roots might suffer a bit.

imagen a plant in a pot, which needs a certain rootmass, to supply the above growth.

now cut all above growth, the roots will hgave suddenly nothing to pump towards...

some plant chemicals are moveable, so the flimsy growth will be able to supply the better growth with chemicals, once it's ready to die!!

• Like 2

My friend Pablo has the same problem, so thanks for the advice Planthelper, oh catha-god. I will heed your advice and inform my own friend Pablo on what to do. Cheers :)

p.s Sorry for hijack, Illustro!