The Corroboree
Chef

Crest

A'hoy there all,

Im near Coffs harbour and really struggle to find decent cacti and im trying to find crested and monstrose of anything at the moment.. Any Idea's?

The nursery's around here dont really care for cacti much :BANGHEAD2:

Cheers guy's

Chef

theres a small Trichocereus peruvianus crest on ebay at the moment.

Oh yeah awsome i'll have to check it out, i'm guessing that they don't come around much then?

Cheers

The peruvian crest is quite common now, as soon as that one is sold there will be another put up for sale.

Ebay has a few different cristate and monstrose plants at most times.

There has to be some way to get the other TBM clone in OZ!!!!

must be something going on that we dont know about :scratchhead:

Regardless of the crested or monstrose i still cant find anything locally here.... Espescially Carnivorous Plants (lol even though they have nothing to do with this thread)

besides SAB everything else seems expensive..

Does anyone here live in or near Coffs Harbour?

Time to suss out old Ebay

Cheers

Hey Chef,

I'm also into Carniverous plants, but at the moment only have a venus fly trap. I know a place very close to me which sells them, I think they also have the long stemmed plants that have pods which capture flies and bugs.

Cheers poisonshroom, but ive got three or four TBM's at the moment and was looking for anything else..

Im lucky if i can even find any of the sacred Trich's around here what so ever..

All i can think of is SAB or the actual garden at Mullum..

Chef

• Like 1

Yeah SAB and herbalistics both have a good selection of sacred cacti as well as some other interesting ones that have other uses (ornamental and fruit producing) id suggest taking a look there. You wont find any crests, but some of them are pretty cool anyway

triffid park is where you all want to go for carnivorous plants

http://triffidpark.com.au/

and keep an eye on ebay there was a seller in australia two weeks ago selling what he said was a new venus flytrap with traps 7cm long(not Bigmouth), wanted an arm and a leg for it but worth watching for the price to become fairer,here is his store link

http://stores.ebay.com.au/livingtraps?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Chef-pm me if you want a couple of small trich(plain bridgesii and some hybrids)

Anyone know if they end up alive if you send carnivorous plants through the post?, Amazonian sent me some way back (thanks again!) but they didnt end up surviving, but at the moment i have Drosera Binata (Native Australian) , D. Capensis, a Pigmy Drosera one i dont know the name of, a few Saracenia Giant, and a Saracenia Giant x Red throat.. next is to cross a few saracenia :) oh and a heap of unknown Nepenthes. Might order some pingulata and bladderwarts..

Herbalistics seems good.

Triffidpark is just insane!

Whats a good fruiting cactus? I've never eaten any!

Chef

Any of the hylocereus (dragonfruit) or selenecereus (yellow dragonfruit) are good, and apparently cereus, pachycereus and opuntia are decent too although i havnt tried them yet. Loph fruits are supposed to be fairly sweet (but very small) along with mammilaria sp.

Most cacti fruit are only slightly sweet, often with a light flavour and some sour overtones. Of the fruit iv tried the red dragonfruit are the best so far

Ive got a cereus that looks like tiny flower buds emerging at the moment (dosent look like a pup as it has overlaping "scaley" bits kinda reminds me of how fish overlap with scales lol worst analagy ever!)

Do they just fruit or do i have to do something?

Chef

They flower first then the petals drop of and the ovary thats left develops into a fruit if it was pollinated (some cacti are self fertile and dont need pollen from another plant, others do). Sounds like flower buds to me.