The Corroboree
Bush Turkey

Meet up: Perth

Without going into personal bias and course comparisons, why would anyone choose a small university run under the principles of the catholic church over the most highly regarded, by the international community, university in the state???????

Just read Notre Dame's academic freedom statement for an example.

Unless of course your Christian.... Then by all means carry on :)

• Like 1

Not one religious bone in my body, I am a complete atheist. Notre Dame's Catholic values are in no way forced down your throat, in fact it is challenged quite prolifically within the Sciences. I originally wanted to go to UWA, but after talking to lecturers who had taught there previously (I only say this within the context of Environmental Science and Archaeology), that UWA is caught up in major political bias and the practical aspects of their units are majorly lacking.

My Archaeology major at Notre Dame has introduced me into practical work from my first semester, that's working on a genuine Archaeological site relating to the colonisation of Western Australia with the guy who originally discovered the site and has written multiple papers on it. Why would I want to attend a uni. that doesn't introduce me to practical work until my last year. We have a ton of UWA students coming on our digs that have cross enrolled into Notre Dame because UWA simply doesn't deliver.

Again, I can only speak from within the Environmental Science and Archaeology streams.

• Like 1

Fair enough dude.

Any who shall we stop derailing this thread now :)

• Like 2

Did you guys find it hard at all to get into uni? I really want to but it seems super difficult :(

check out this http://futurestudents.curtin.edu.au/school-leavers/how-to-get-in/flexible-entry-pathways/uniready.cfm. Completely free 6 months course that have at Curtin where Im held, I got in with this it was actully really easy .. was done 100% onlin now, universities are pretty much businesses's nowadays they don't care about ATAR and shit :P (dropped out of highschool in year 9 to work).

cheers for all the info guys :)

Also ShamanRus it might be good to start a new thread for that as not everyone reads this thread

Edit- Lol I did not see you had already started a new thread :P

Edited by jwerta
  • Like 1

Hi, new member here from Perth. Mostly interested in cacti/succulents for my own garden but I am a lover of all things ethnobotanical.

• Like 3

Hey yo

What's happened to the Perth SAB gatherings? There hasn't been one for ages. Do any of you still meet up? It's Summer again and it's the perfect time to have a gathering again.

• Like 2

The weather says yes.

• Like 1

Keen for a meet in the next few weeks people while the weather is still joy !

Keen for a meet in the next few weeks people while the weather is still joy !

We need more people to join. 

• Like 1

I'm sure oatis n silly bean will appear

It'd be an easy way for me to sell some of the cacti I've got at the moment too.

• Like 1

I'm keen, Sundays are usually good, just not this weekend. 

• Like 1

how about at the Sunday morning Vic Park Farmers Markets. Pretty chilled, morton fig shade, tables, space, live music, some cool plants.

• Like 1

Let's make a meet happen sandgropers, it's been too long. 

• Like 1

Sunday16th of April, 10 days from now, Vic Park or otherwise. Bring trades if you want to, or just come and chill. Spread the word, fellow cactus heads and friends welcome :)

Edited by Ambient

2 easy, hopefully ya can make it BT. I've also had some interest from a few mates outside of SAB, so I'll be there either way.

Hopeful I can make it hard day to get away from the family thaT daTe ..

Hopefully should be able to make it :o have not seen you all in too long