The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderIdeal

Pittosporum pehylliraeoides / Pittosporum angustifolium - gumbi gumbi

is anybody convinced of anything about this plant? i have only found a list of mineral elements found in the leaves and tea.

They grow around Dululu where I am in Central Qld in the pockets of semi - evergreen vine thickets on the edges of the Brigalow scrub and some in the adjacent Poplar Box woodland.

They germinate very easily after soaking for 24 hours and potting up.

One in my garden has about 6 self seeded seedlings in the mulch.

A nearby farmhouse has about 100 seedlings in the grass around it.

I have potted up seeds stored in an open box for 1 1/4 years with almost 100% germination.

The locals send people to me for seeds and seedlings to make a drink from the boiled leaves to try and help sick friends with cancer etc.

The president of SGAP, Ipswich told me years ago that he was collecting anecdotal evidence about its health properties.

They may be able to help you better.

He knew an old man who cured lesions all over his body which the doctors couldn't.

A chemist, who I think may be the one at Mt. morgan, Qld, was selling a concentrated brew for $195 per litre.

I was told he was breaking branches off the trees and asked not to tell him where they are.

I have given large quantities of seed to 2 Rockhampton nurseries in the hope that more people will find benefits from this plant.

Someone gave me some drug information about it years ago which I will post when I find it but I cannot guarantee its veracity.

For example, it states that here are different varieties with varying amounts of drug concentrations but the Qld Herbarium lists no subspecies or varieties and a botanist there told me that she would doubt if there was any variation in drug content.

The locals where I live say there are different varieties but all that I have examined match the one botanical description.

For example, fruits vary from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 centimetres.

They may also be confused with another scrub tree, Denhamia pittosporoides which has the same colour fruit but 3 valves instead of 2.

The new growths on trees around here are nearly always attacked by stem tip borers which set the trees back badly.

I was told to use Rogur but it washes off in the rain.

When they are about 2 1/2 metres they are not so badly affected.

I had no trouble with these insects at Rosewood near Ipswich.

I think there is some mention of Aboriginal use in my literature so I will have look for it when time permits.

Kent

• Like 4

interesting stuff Kent, nice post.

I have some quite old seed (>10years) that is still in some of the fruit pulp,

which seems to help it keep. Germination rate is not as high as fresh would be

but still 30% 3 months ago.

I would be interested to see your other info on it, especially that regarding Aboriginal use.

they grow around melbourne as street trees

"Plants Of Central Qld", by Eric Anderson, published by Qld Gov. Department Of Primary Industries - Cattle bush was used by the Aborigines in different ways. Some groups ate the gum that oozed from the wounded branches, and others ground the seeds to flour. The seeds taste intensely bitter and it is not surprising that some tribes found no use for them.

Kent.

bump!

https://gumbygumby.com/whatisit.html

https://www.puregumbygumby.com/gumby-research.html

i bought a seedling of this tree at the sapphire markets for 25aud and he gave me seeds for free.

we talked for an hour and he told me a few stories about people who were cured of cancers by this plant.

i can't find the paper work now and my previous research, but my plant and seedlings, i believe are from type 12.

i don't remeber excactly what makes this plant contain medicinal properties, but remeber clearly, it is an organism which lives inside plant tissue.

some word similar like epiphyte, and asperagus and yew trees contain a similar organism (propably the same organism that give the yew trees the cancer treatment properties).

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancer-in-general/treatment/chemotherapy/yew-clippings

if somebody could find a link with that term of the organism residing in the gumbi gumbi, i would be greatfull, this maybe fungus like organism, lives in pretty much every plant on this planet it's said. 

Edited by withdrawl clinic
dyslexia