The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Smiling Cloud

Poppy seed for trade

My poppies have seeded. Has anyone got anything they would like to trade for these.

I would like ephedra seeds but any interesting seeds will do. The poppy I collected seed from has developed 18 seed pods! That's the most I've ever had on one plant.

[This message has been edited by Smiling Cloud (edited 12 October 2001).]

A hypothetical peaonyflorum. The seed pod count is growing. I've noticed another 4 flower pods forming.

Nice web site lambo. Is it true that all "Papaveraceae seeds do not contain opiates"? I've heard of people getting addicted with 200g/day habits. And I've heard that if you eat to many somniferum seeds morphine can come up in urine tests.

Guest lambo

lambo reply to 'spaced' question:

Q: "Papaveraceae seeds do not contain opiates"?

Generally, the seeds are produced after the Papaver pods have already reached their peak alkaloid production cycle, and the alkaloids are no longer being produced, and are in decline.

The Papaver seeds themselves are biologically isolated from the alkaloid producing Endocarp Lactifers, the 'milk' system in the pod, and do not come into contact with these 'Alkaloid Lactifers'.

Generally, commercial seeds available on the market, i.e, your local grocery store 'SpiceRack' shelf, have been washed in an organic acid solution, which also decreases the possibility of alkaloid cross-contamination during seed processing.

I have heard reports of people testing 'positive' during a urinalysis, after eating a 'poppy seed bagel', however, these 'positive' results are probably not due to Morphine contained within the seeds, but alkaloid derivatives of morphine contained in the seeds themselves.

A 'positive' urinalysis for Morphine, does not neccessarily mean that one has opium alkaloids within ones system, but is referred to scientifically as a 'false positive', meaning, that the enzymes used to bind to specific alkaloids to produce a 'positive response' to Opium Alkaloids, are actually binding to their derivatives.

as for a 200g/day poppy seed 'habit', I can only suggest that these seeds may have become cross-contaminated with alkaloids during seed processing, and they are actually 'addicted' to the 'cross-contamination'.

I would refute all claims that one could become addicted to the properly processed, washed seeds themselves, since the alkaloid derivative concentrations within these seeds, just are not high enough.

Please forgive my lenghty answer, but was a rather 'technical' reasonable question.

So, the next time you test 'positive' during your next urinalysis, just say "but, It was the poppy seed bagel !".

http://www2.aros.net/~lambo/paeony/paeony.htm http://www2.aros.net/~lambo/seeds/seeds.htm

Lambo Seeds

Soaking a quantity of commercial popy seed in water with a dash of lemon juice produces a liquid that will give decent opiate effects. So there is obviously something of interest in (or on) the seeds, that is not simply excused with enzyme binding.

Guest NOB

Lambo would you know what species and variety the HOYTS Poppy Seeds are, that are sold in supermarkets. I read a thread on here saying that they will shoot when planted, but do they contain any alkaloids?

Guest ens

On the topic of poppies ..

I was wondering if anyone knows which species commercial culinary poppy seeds are taken from ?? I was originally told that they were taken from papaver somniferum plantations??

Much to my surprise, under the necessary cooler conditions they were able to germinate quite successfully..

Guest NOB

Where did Lambo's comprehensive reply go re:commerical food grade poppy seeds, their species, variety ,viability and alkaloid content? It was here last night.

From memory you weren't familiar with the HOYTS brand of seeds. They do look like the turkish variety you mentioned, the pack just says Imported Spices

Originally posted by Torsten:

So there is obviously something of interest in (or on) the seeds, that is not simply excused with enzyme binding.

Is ELISA used for forensic purposes in Australia? I recall reading that the enzymes can be inhibited with increased NaCl concentrations. I think such urinalyses can be justified if, for instance, they were to check if someone was complying with their new methadone regimen but when used for the purposes of busting people they are useful devices turned evil weapons.