The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Welwitschia mirabilis for sale

Welwitschias are neato aren't they. I think I traded my seeds away too.... daaang. They need a pretty deep pot to get to any decent size and even then it'd be your great, great, great grandchildren that would be seeing that....

rub it in why don't ya! :-P It's a very nice specimen indeed.

Welwitschias are worthy of laudation.

Seems to me Torsten that you're giving someone hints about what you want for Christmas. :wink::lol:

I've had my eye on that for a while too. I've never seen one that size in Australia :drool2:

I ordered some Welwitschia seeds from an Australian ebay seller 2 weeks ago but it looks like I've been shafted. He won't even answer messages.

I sussed his feedback and it wasn't very good, but I ordered them against my better judgement anyway because I just want one so much.

Nice, I've been wanting one of these for a long time too. Would never spend that much on one though.

I've still got 20 seeds if anyone wanted them. Think I paid around a dollar a seed, but I never got around to sowing them and probably won't.

Seems to me Torsten that you're giving someone hints about what you want for Christmas. :wink::lol:

I can be pretty extravagant with my plant purchases, but in this climate I wouldn't risk that much with such an arid plant.

Torsten, can seedlings be grafted to a close relative that can handle the climate there? Hell, does it even have a close relative?

~Michael~

Michael, I doubt it, as it's one of the three (very distinct) orders/families within the phylum Gnetophyta and the only member of that order/family/genus. The closest relatives are Ephedra and Gnetum species, which aren't even in the same order.

By the way, some might be interested to know that Herbalistics has a couple of young plants for sale as part of a collection that is being sold via the website.

My botany lecturer used to grow these in Germany. Apparently they had a fairly extravagant way of growing them involving a really tall pot (around 6 foot) and water that slowly goes down as the tap root gets longer. The idea was to simulate the way the water table in the desert would get deeper after the one in a couple of hundred years rainfall that triggers these to germinate in the wild. He mentioned something about only 2 major seedling events in the past I think 700 years. pretty amazing plants.

• Like 2

This thread needs to go up. Does anyone know any viable seed seller for reasonable prices?? I am also looking for Gnetum sp.