The Corroboree
chep

DMT Bust

I saw the full story on the front page of the Kalgoorlie Miner a few days ago, I went down to get a copy today but there were none there. Anyway here's the online stub:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/regional/goldfields/a/-/news/12153440/bark-drug-bites/

-

A man admitted he tried to produce a hallucinogenic drug from the bark of a tree commonly found in Western Australia.

Michael Ray Randell, 21, pleaded guilty in the Kalgoorlie District Court yesterday to the attempted manufacture of dimethyltryptamine (DMT).

Officers from the Organised Crime Squad and ChemCentre chemists found bark from an Acacia tree and printed instructions to make the drug inside Randell’s granny flat at the back of a Wilson Street property in August.

Acaicas are also known as Wattles and grow across Western Australia.

The Wattle Tree is also the national emblem of Australia.

Officers also found materials used in the manufacture of the drug in Randell’s flat including glassware, liquids and chemicals.

-

But seriously though, front page? kinda scary

I wonder how they got tipped off. Purchasing suspect chems perhaps.

I remember the full report even mentioned something about the process for extracting DMT, calling it 'laborious' and 'time-consuming'. I didn't get much of a chance to read though

I wonder how they got tipped off. Purchasing suspect chems perhaps.

Maybe they got suspicious because he wasn't consuming 5 litres of beer each day like everyone else in Kalgoorlie.

:uzi:

• Like 12

Or he was boasting about his "latest tek" on an internet forum...

• Like 7

^^^

I think people are all too quick to blame there legal problems on there forum dealings. where was this guy scoring his pot from? Xmas raids are comming up. or could whoever he was renting the granny flat or possibly a neighbour smell him performing an extraction and assume he was cooking gear. bet the bright spark kept the step by step instructions in a box with his precursors and made the job all to easy for the fuzz

• Like 1

I´m sure this is just the tip of the Iceberg. Law Enforcement Agencies are aware of the fact that newspapers like to pick up headlines like this and use this to their advantage. You know, they need to proove their importance and effectivity on a regular basis to the people who fund them and thats one of the reasons they pickup DMT Cases a lot more in the future. Besides, its the political direction that everything is going to in Australia. I know some people dont like to hear it but i think its important that people know that they need to be careful about what they talk about on public internetboards. Even if it turns out that this case had nothing to do with online activities...its just common sense that people shouldnt post self-incriminating stuff on the internet. If i were a police officer looking for reasons to make a raid, it would be the first place i´d be looking. ;) bye Eg

• Like 1

Not as serious a post as that ^ but... fuck yeah national emblem!

what suspicious chems? Those are widely available chemicals.

The guy must have been ratted out, maybe he was selling or he was buying pot from someone and that's how they found 'm. But seriously, they get a warrant for these kind of things?

No warrant no entry.

Not true cops can enter your house and raid you if they smell it or see it. I think they can even bust you if someone comes out of your house and they find drugs on them

That's in Qld anyways don't know about the rest of au

Happened to a mate of mine

Does anyone know the actual legislation for this? Preferably in link form? Curious as to exactly what is said about that.

I was under the impression that seeing or smelling gives reasonabl suspicion, which is grounds for a warrant, but that the police would still need a warrant?

in most states probable cause [eg smelling or seeing] is enough to enter.

maybe this guy followed Julian's advise in a recent thread:

I can't see how beurocratic "laws" arising out of inane legislation occuring for political reasons are at at all relevant here.

If you are directed to take it, don't let the "law" stop you! If you are really concerned about the law, go to your local cop shop with some phyllodes and rue, and run it past them and see if you can't get fined or even better locked up! Make sure to film the adventure and put it on youtube. we'd all love to see you go ! :-) they would probably just laugh at you and tell you to stop wasting their time.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29950&view=findpost&p=332236

• Like 1

in most states probable cause [eg smelling or seeing] is enough to enter.

maybe this guy followed Julian's advise in a recent thread:

I can't see how beurocratic "laws" arising out of inane legislation occuring for political reasons are at at all relevant here.

If you are directed to take it, don't let the "law" stop you! If you are really concerned about the law, go to your local cop shop with some phyllodes and rue, and run it past them and see if you can't get fined or even better locked up! Make sure to film the adventure and put it on youtube. we'd all love to see you go ! :-) they would probably just laugh at you and tell you to stop wasting their time.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29950&view=findpost&p=332236

lmao at this Torsten. I also saw this post the other day and wondered how it wasn't removed, and then realised it must have been left for its comedy value.

Not funny at all if anyone actually followed this advice.

Julian has been claiming for years that dmt is not on the law enforcement radar, even though a federal police policy paper released about 5 years ago clearly indicated it as an emerging 'threat' with its hot seat in NNSW.

I think the main reason why there have not been more busts is because the cops don't have a prelim test for it, ie they can't swab for it on the spot and hence usually don't have probable cause or enough for an arrest. Obviously keeping an extraction recipe next to your extracted material eliminates the need for such a test.

Let's remember it's Kalgoorlie. Slow news week year round most likely, unless jimbo gets caught shagging his camel again or something. Anything that pulls the moral crisis strings gets air time now a days, would be even more so in redneckville I would think. Dude probably went around big noting himself as the only source in town for this new cool drug blah blah, most bring it on themselves one way or another. Or are just damned unlucky.

Yeah T... you're right that he's been claiming that. But many people have also been believing that he's in with the pigs.

I'm not accusing anything about anybody in the slightest. I don't know facts, and I won't make accusations based on speculation, however it is in people's interests to know that these claims exist.

And J if you read this... I don't mean to be a dickhead. I'm not accusing of anything. I'm just saying it how it is, and you'd understand creating such publicity behind you that it's not ridiculous that certain people more in the know than I am would draw such conclusions themselves as people do like to gossip lol.

I'd prefer to hope that it's got some very powerful plant spirits protecting from consequences that could result when so open about everything... it's almost like it doesn't pop up on police radar even when it's right in their faces i.e. a certain somebody that tried as hard as he could to literally throw the shit into parliament house years back with no consequences hehe.

Combine that with stories I've heard like raids for growing weed and cops and failing to see evap trays with xtal-ine extractions in full view.. also seen less dramatic examples from friends n police over the years first hand.

Too many weird coincidences like that makes you wonder if the stuff literally makes itself invisible to the law when it needs to protect it's people despite defying all rational logic :blink:

Edit: Altered to remove ambiguity.

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-

It could have been plant material. That would be counted the same as crystal :BANGHEAD2:

my thought too, but i'm not sure why he had it in the room there... maybe he was planning to bring additional equipment in to do an extraction.

it's interesting that the minimum "trafficable quantity" is 100 grams dmt.

I just got curious on sentencing for DMT. I found these sentencing remarks for a case from Darwin.

26 year old guy caught with 225grms of DMT (crystal?), some LSD, and 17g Methcathinone.

Guy was lucky as fucky and got 18 months suspended sentence.

Not sure where the judge got his info about the effects of DMT though:

http://www.supremecourt.nt.gov.au/documents/sentencing_remarks/2011/07/html/Fett_18072011_21006146_SenNet.htm

The DMT bogan carries that shit around... kinda an in joke but long story short a fellow I encountered a few years back who's name I didn't catch had that much in his van. I thought it was overkill, but it's living proof some people do such things for reasons I don't understand.. hell it could even serve as a security blanket to cuddle up to at night for all I know. :lol:

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-

would love to see how this would even go down in a court room.

if he is found guilty of possession of dmt.. then everyone including the prosecutor and judge are also guilty of possession of dmt.. think about it.