The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Looking for pure scopulicola seed

Wondering if anyone largish amounts of pure T. scopulicola seed, fresh within the last year. Can pay or trade for it.

Let me know.

Thanks. :)

Weird, when searching google for "trichocereus scopulicola seeds" the first results are from here.

And when searching for "trichocereus scopulicola" the top results apart from wiki are ethno forums.

Maybe this plant doesn't exist.

Wasn't someone requesting pictures of wild scops recently?

yeh that was me http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28994

even tho there seems to be a bit of a deficit in research on the scopulicola to have a guess i'd say it does exist. at the moment mine's in the process of dropping 2 ribs going from 7 to 5. never seen another cactus do that, they're an interesting plant

Edited by bulls on parade

yeh that was me http://www.shaman-au...showtopic=28994

even tho there seems to be a bit of a deficit in research on the scopulicola to have a guess i'd say it does exist. at the moment mine's in the process of dropping 2 ribs going from 7 to 5. never seen another cactus do that, they're an interesting plant

Trichocereus drop and gain ribs all the time, although scops do seem prone to it.

I mean, maybe they only exist in cultivation.. the skin has such a weird texture to it.

anyway, i should probably stop cluttering up tripsis' thread :innocent_n:

I vaguely recall reading about large stands of T. scopulicola being eaten by goats in the previous century. Maybe it wasn't scops and was just a few Matucana species, but I'm pretty sure it was scops too.

Can I ask what the scop seed is for? :P

(Not that I have any seed at the moment )

"Not that I have any seed at the moment"

Do you have flower buds?, On 2 different scops?

I have a couple of scops pushing buds but I'm pretty sure they are the same clone so will not self fertilize. I also have Super Pedro pushing buds so might do a x between the 2, if you consider Super Pedro as just a longer spined form of scop?(or what we call scop a shorter spined form?), I might be able to help you out.

I wonder how much of the scop in Aus are clones of each other, the plants are so uniform & the lack of seed make me wonder?, let alone super ped/cordo/lance...

Anyone have seed grown scops?, anyone have the bunnings/hamilton scops grown to a decent size?, wonder where they got their seed?

Edited by shruman

I have a couple of scops pushing buds but I'm pretty sure they are the same clone so will not self fertilize.

Shruman i have the scop that's nicknamed Hulk pushing about 10 buds now so if you think you have a diff plant i'll do you a pollen trade if you like.

I'm happy to give you pollen & would love to know how you go, but personaly, I do'nt have high hopes.

I have never had luck with traded Trich pollen & I do'nt know of anyone who has?, I only have a few scop flowers so would prefer to try to knock them up with something else that is open.

& personaly I think they are probly the same clone but I would like to hear of the experiment & maybe oneday conduct a few of my own to realy find out what is what.

My biggest bud is about 15mm so still has some pushing but I'll let you know when I have pollen.

Let us know if you manage to get seed on one of your plants guys. Especially if it's a flower pollinated with pollen of another scop.

I also have Super Pedro pushing buds so might do a x between the 2, if you consider Super Pedro as just a longer spined form of scop?(or what we call scop a shorter spined form?), I might be able to help you out.

That cross has been made both ways. My sowings gave me healthy fat little seedlings showing the characteristic traits of all scopulicola crosses I've sowed so to date.

Nice, you have pics?, If you do maybe post them in another thread so we do'nt derail this one any further, sorry Tripsis :blush:

Know where the seed came from?

Nah, keep it up, discussion is always good.

From what I understand a lot of the collectors corner scops are from seed.. I know I have at least a couple of distinct plants none flowering this yr though..

I'll see if I can't get some pictures up. They are still pretty young and I only have good examples of that cross one way.

The seed came to me via nitrogen, but I'd imagine it was originally from another SAB member.

Edit: That other member was probably PD or strangebrew. Thanks, nitrogen!

Edited by mira

Which Scop are people referring to? The only one I can visualize is the one which is almost completely spineless and looks very different from any other tricho - the "classic" scop.. But there is another one in Oz yes?

When trading pollen, I've had success but only if we trade pollen in a baggie rather than on q-tips - A good way to gather it is to place a glass under the flower and tap/shake the flower so the pollen falls off the stamens and into the glass - I brush it off the stamen with a knife or other object and then do the tapping/shaking actually..

I suppose Qtips work, but they leave very little pollen on the pistil of the other flower - I've had many fails using qtips..

Per storage, the pollen seems to only last a month or so in the fridge - I've heard its best to store it in the fridge rather than freezer, and be sure to double or triple bag it to prevent moisture from getting into it..

I've had best results with pollination by scooping little clumps of pollen out of the baggie with the tip of a knife and depositing the pollen directly on/in the pistil (the female reproductive thing in the middle of the flower) - and/or, holding a nice clump of pollen deep in the pistil and gently blowing on it so it goes right into the middle of the pistil..

• Like 1