The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dionysus

thesium australe - australian toadflax

does anyone have this plant in their collection or know of it being in cultivation? i have searched around but can't find much information other than it's root parasite qualities and likely extinction in tasmania and victoria and vulnerable status else where. the latter of which making me pretty interested in raising a specimen. it's nice to think through care that one is able to view such plants and try to preserve them, a notable example is the acacia phlebophylla.

there is some information about the plant available here:

http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/sprat/public/publicspecies.pl?showprofile=Y&taxon_id=15202

also worth noting for interests sake that Plant alkaloids: a guide to their discovery and distribution

By Robert Francis Raffauf on page 192 lists thesium australe as being an alkaloid positive variety of thesium. "Plant resources of tropical Africa: Medicinal plants" edited by Gaby H. Schmelzer suggests the alkaloid thesinine has been isolated from a species, but suggests it may be produced in the host plant that is sustaining the thesium's roots. thesium chinense was/is apparently used in korean traditional medicine to treat respiratory illness, and the following chemical analysis was found http://210.101.116.28/W_kiss2/05004590_pv.pdf and shows some interesting cinnimates, also found in essential oil of cinnamon and derivatives reportedly effective MAOIs.

considering this forum, i thought this information might be worth putting up

Edited by dionysus

Hello

I know a bit about Thesium australe as I have undertaken field research and written about its conservation requirements. I am not aware of any being in cultivation - mostly because it is a root parasite. Very little is known of its dispersal, specific germination and cultivation requirements. At the very least a suitable host such as Kangaroo Grass is likely to be required. The physical mechanism by which it attaches to roots seems to be unknown.

A single large population occurs on a basalt grassland in Vic and there are relatively large populations in coastal headland grassland in Northern NSW and in woodlands and grasslands on the New England Tablelands.

Some populations are going to be trashed for a residential development south of Woolgoolga in Northern NSW. Diggging out large sods of Kangaroo Grass with Thesium attached and establishing elsewhere seems to be an option worth trying.

good luck

Hello

I know a bit about Thesium australe as I have undertaken field research and written about its conservation requirements. I am not aware of any being in cultivation - mostly because it is a root parasite. Very little is known of its dispersal, specific germination and cultivation requirements. At the very least a suitable host such as Kangaroo Grass is likely to be required. The physical mechanism by which it attaches to roots seems to be unknown.

A single large population occurs on a basalt grassland in Vic and there are relatively large populations in coastal headland grassland in Northern NSW and in woodlands and grasslands on the New England Tablelands.

Some populations are going to be trashed for a residential development south of Woolgoolga in Northern NSW. Diggging out large sods of Kangaroo Grass with Thesium attached and establishing elsewhere seems to be an option worth trying.

good luck

thanks for the input :). i just wondered if it were in cultivation because i thought if i had interest someone else may have at some point and may have been able to grow some. i may however need to make a (pretty long) field trip of my own and observe them in their own habitat while i can.

it is disheartening to hear that development is still able to destroy such habitats inside the law.

with regards to dispersal, i am under the impression that plants will produce a small (2mm in length) oval shaped nut like seed, so i think wind is likely to play a part, however, this is pure speculation.

also, i would be interested to read what you have writting with regards to conservation requirements if you are willing to share.

thansk againfor your input.

Hello

Insects may be vectors for dispersal of the fruit as well as water, gravity and wind. Have sent you PM about my reports - happy to email you.