The Corroboree
Goldtop

Kava

Pretty sure this is scheduled now dude... although you can still buy low dose tablets at some healthfood stores, search the forum plenty of info about it. If I'm correct you may wanna edit your post.

D00d

Those Thompsons 2400 kava tablets are ok if you have 3 or more. You won't get the full Kava experience, but if you haven't tried kava before and want to give it a go, they are ok. Some chemists sell them. I think all of the major Aussie online pharmacists sell them.

I don't understand how it can be scheduled :(

But still, theres a lot of things I don't understand lol

There was a place in town called the kava hut, floors were sand and you drank kava out of coconuts (could choose from 5 diff strengths) it was the bomb for chillin before/after a big night out :)

But since kava has been scheduled they had to stop selling it and changed their name to 'the hut' major bummer!

Also I've been told smoking kava gets some nice mild euphoric feelings, don't know how true it is but sounds interesting enough.

I wasnt aware that kava is scheduled. I thought just a customs issue.

Could someone set me straight as i was hoping to bring some through customs in feb (going over seas)

I have no idea about specific laws in WA

BUT

if there is none ( someone may need to verify this)

"Incoming passengers who are over the age of 18 years are allowed to bring 2 kg of kava into Australia in their accompanied baggage."

From: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/importation-of-kava

Yeah I'm not to sure it's weird.

When the whole thing was going down I went into HHH and they were getting rid of all of it, all they told me is that they aren't allowed to sell it anymore.

Here's a real quick run down:

Can't be bought and sold, can be possessed and brought back into the country - I think on a technical level you need a prescription, but they certainly don't check for those when bringing it back into the country.

It all stems from John Howard's Aboriginal intervention in 2007 when it was stated it was being abused in such communities, therefore it was regulated. Doesn't make sense, nothing they do does. Don't try and make sense of it - it is what it is. For your average Joe who goes on a holiday, feel free to bring some back with you, you won't get into any trouble as it stands.

As for specific state laws I've got no idea, and I only say that cause I read a sentence somewhere once that said it was totally prohibited in WA.

I might give it a go still. If i declare it and im wrong i cant see anything bad happening, other then losing the payload.

I wouldnt bother eat, i tried getting 25g from over seas... it got seized :( But they never said anything about it being a controlled substance, they just said it was a quarintine issue or something

Was it on your person?

Nah dude just bought it off a website, coming through the post

As mentioned above, you can carry up to 2k on your person. But ZERO through the post

For all of your information:

Requirements of importation:

- Pretty much what is mentioned above

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/importation-of-kava

Therapeutic Guidelines: Schedule 4, Part 4, Division 2, Item 35.

- The way in which the product can be sold, bought and used in australia.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2011C00308

The National Code of Kava Management (from NT site, but clearly stated as a NATIONAL code)

- Rules, regulations, guidelines and penalties for disregarding them.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/legis/nt/consol_reg/kmr244/notes.html?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=%22nt%20consol_reg%20kmr244%22#disp1

KavaManagement Act 2001.pdf

there is a company in melbourne which sells online kava in $US, by the ounce, really strong stuff.

HINT: they also sell colostrum

Deals with $US sells in oz's ... is in melbourne?

are you sure thats were they ship from?

The lobby to get it scheduled would have been the alcohol industry no doubt, the "natives" alcohol is illegal to limit competition

• Like 1

Really a shame this sceduling business arround the world and specially Australia :slap:

I heard they wanted to ban all alternative therapy in Europe, including most medicinal/ alternative plants and stuff. It seems impossible, but just the thought of it is :BANGHEAD2: . What kind of lobby is that...

I've been looking for ages for a source somewhere in the world that might sell a live plant/ root to my coutry in Europe (it's a totally unknown plant where I live). I had a thread about it recentlly but I never got an answer. Can someone help me? thanks.

Edited by Quetzalt

Does anyone have a license to import Kava. I heard some people are allowed to import it but they need a specific license.

you just need to go to fiji then you can bring back 2kg if your over 18

i don't think its scheduled only prohibited import and sale i dont think you can get done for possession unless they see intent to sell

^^^ that's what they do at the kava hut in town :) but I think they said they go to NZ?

Thompsons the company who makes the only TGA aproved kava product would have an import permit Islandkava. You can only import for medical or scientific reasons.

"From 25 June 2007, import permits will only be issued for medical and/or scientific purposes."

"Kava in any form is a prohibited import and in accordance with the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956 you must hold a licence and a permit issued by the Office of Chemical Safety before importing it for medical and/or scientific purposes. You will be required to substantiate the approval status and/or use of the imported material and any permit may be subject to conditions on the custody or use of the substances. You are advised to contact the Office of Chemical Safety before you import kava.

You may contact the Office of Chemical Safety at [email protected] for further information or to obtain application forms to import kava for medical and scientific purposes."

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/importation-of-kava

It's S4 Dan, same schedue as valium, there is no specific exemption for posession but it has to be a legal grey area due to the ability to import in personal baggage. Unless its a TGA aproved product.

thanks for clearing that up shruman

I thought I'd read enough on kava obviously not

i was under the impression because you can freely bring it back into the country there was no law against using/possessing in any way these laws there doin ma head in lol :P

I just did a search for Piper sp. on the AQIS website under seeds for sowing, and up popped this:

Table 2a: List of Prohibited Species. These species are prohibited entry by Schedule 4 of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956. Imports of these plants must be referred to the Australian Customs Service prior to quarantine clearance.

Piper methysticum

So AQIS have decided to contact customs when you try to import the plant under any circumstances, including seed. So I followed their link to the customs website and this is what they say:

Kava (restricted import)

Description:

A plant that is traditionally used for therapeutic and recreational purposes by certain cultures.

Importers must obtain the following from the Therapeutic Goods Administration before importing kava:

• Licence to Import Controlled Substances, and
  • Import permit for each consignment of kava.

The original copy of the import permit for each consignment must be presented to Customs and Border Protection when the goods arrive in Australia.

Exemption:

A passenger, on a ship or aircraft, aged 18 years or more, may import up to two (2) kilograms of kava in either root or dried powder form in their accompanied baggage without a permit.

This exemption does not apply to kava being imported via post, courier services or unaccompanied baggage. In these cases an import permit is required to be presented to Customs.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp#e1065