The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tehk

Any one selling Acacia plant?

Hey,

I'm new here, 26, male, kogarah sydney, no idea how to ask this, and I suck at green thumb skills, but wouldn't mind learning or just buying one of these generous plants.

How long would it take to grow say Acacia Acuminata before I'd be able to enjoy it. Sorry if it has been asked a billion times, I've tried searching/lurking through the forums for info but seriously, I have no idea how to find what i'm looking for.

Anyhow, if anyone is happy to send me info i'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum :lol:

Always plenty of acuminata seed on ebay, i think to really bond with any plant its really best to grow it from seed. They're really easy to grow Just soak them in hot water for a bit then sow them in some regular seed mix. They can sometimes take a while to come up, so dont give up hope for at least a month or six weeks.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RASPBERRY-JAM-WATTLE-ACACIA-ACUMINATA-SEEDS-A37-/350307343153?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item518ff1db31

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/INLAND-JAM-WATTLE-ACACIA-ACUMINATA-NARROW-SEEDS-A38-/350307347272?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item518ff1eb48

I have bought from this seller before and germination rates are awesome!

I enjoy them right from the moment they pop their heads out.... I love looking after babies!

I got some acuminata tube stock from a national park nursery, they also sold seeds of accuminatas so if you know of any around yor area might be worth sussing.

I agree with hillbilly on the bonding, I feel closest to my obtusi, watched him grow from a little seed feels like a part of me :)

Don't stop at accuminatas though get a nice variety, all acacias are beautiful!

Good luck on your journey and welcome to the forum buddy :)

P.S acacias are slow as hell growers so be prepared itll take a few good years to get it a sweet tree, but well worth it.

However, if you get them into the ground in a good sunny spot (preferably around other wattles) from an early age, they can absolutely crank out the growth. Like 4 metres easily in 2 years.

Google "rhizobial inoculation of acacias". Some people achieve (limited from what I have seen) success in pots by finding a large acacia growing on the nature strip and scratching a couple of bits of dirt from around the base, and adding it to their pots to innoculate the soil.

But honestly I wouldn't bother with pots if you want them to get big fast, it's simply not going to happen. Get seed or the smallest tubestock you can find, and plant them in the ground. If from seed google "acacia seed hot water scarification".

And welcome to the club.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info, really helpful. Hopefully by growing one i'll be able to easily ID in the future.

Your offer to buy is nice and serves your reputation here well, but the greenback is not the mightiest thing around The Corroboree. (only used for large or rare trades)

PM me your name and postal details and I shall see to it that a nice little range of acacia seeds (including your acuminata) shall make there way to you shortly.....Free of course...the same way they found their way to me!

That is how Corroboree rolls! Welcome tehk and hope you find it a nice place to hang out and learn in a fostering and caring environment.

This place happens to be the only walk of life where i have not come to the conclusion that people = shit.

The people here that are into ethnobotany, botany, horticulture and nature are the kindest, most giving and supporting group of people.

Please help keep it that way :D

Peace

• Like 3

And grow it from seeds man,. Like Jonstn said...you get an attachment to plants you have raised from birth yourself :drool2::wub: ...you just may not be able to bring yourself to enjoy it physically once your mental attachment to a plant is that great. Would be like eating a domesticated pet in that sense lol.

And if you want to enjoy something's beauty (other than looking at it) quicker...I'd recommend you look into phalaris.