The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
strangebrew

spiritual electricity

And now the dimensional cut-off points started to happen. I was super propelled through multiple dimensions. I now lose all connection with the past realities (non-realities). I see myself only as being, what being is did not apply; all that mattered was the unintentional action of being. As my body became used to this state of hypersensitivity, I could feel the blood run through me, my whole body and mind acting in complete unison. Because of this unison, my soul/consciousness/pure form of existence was allowed to take over. This was no mere illusion of perception, this was what was actually happening (at the time anyway) what it is not for me to say.

In this state of what must be shamanic ecstasy I stood up and found that my body would move freely and completely to the universal rhythm. I’m not sure what music was playing, I think part or most of the music was created by the audio “hallucinations”. I danced in this state, I became translucent, not of body, I was a weightless consciousness perceiving the full universe at once and engaging with it at the same time almost as if to create some sort of balance. This was the best moment of my life, nothing can explain it properly.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=87405

I've found myself in similar places - sometimes physically dancing or at others I've been dancing in my mind.

Thing is if I concentrate real hard sometimes I can get back to this state naturally - imagining the rhythmic, cosmic movements, radiating the good vibes,

but when I do so this weird electricity starts in my head & spreads down my spine. It feels similar to the hairs on the back of the neck going berserk but it's internal, inside the skull.

I've felt this electrical sensation before in spiritual moments, when something really resonates with me. I was watching this doco the other night called "The Horse Boy" - about a young autistic kid who goes to Mongolia with his parents to visit different shamen to see if they can help with his more problematic symptoms. When the 1st shaman started chanting and drumming this electricity started up again extremely strongly. I was literally buzzing. I was amazed! WTF?

Anyone concur?

Yeah I've experienced similar states. Could be what's refered to as kundalini maybe, or lightning in the blood. :)

Aye, I do concur. Whenever I am praying to the gods or performing something spiritual, I get this 'sensation' of electricity going down my spine. It starts from the bottom of my skull and travels down. It also happens whenever I feel as though I'm being watched. It's a weird sensation... :shroomer:

but when I do so this weird electricity starts in my head & spreads down my spine. It feels similar to the hairs on the back of the neck going berserk but it's internal, inside the skull.

I get the same feeling when I have sleep paralysis. It feels like some outside entity forcing electricity into me much like the feelings you describe. Good times

It is Chi or Prana, the experience of which is pretty common for a lot of people.

But don't tell your psychiatrist or he may well medicate you :/

It is primary energy. You can also feel it in relationship to other people in the space between. Love is a kind of energy too, but it is has texture, "taste" and an intricacy to it.

But don't tell your psychiatrist or he may well medicate you :/

You speaking from experience? I've got a big hunch that antidepressants would knock it on it's head.

Occassionally some music will set it off. A certain tone maybe - could be why the shaman's stuff triggered it. Felt so strong though, stronger than usual. Could only think that something was indeed powerful there.

Tim Buckley's "The River" was the last song I heard that would set it off a bit.

Well, friends of mine have reported spiritual experiences and have been medicated because of it and become drooling zombies!

"IT" is the very life force that people in the west generally don't experience all that often. "Normality" to "us" is a general absense of life force or "chi", a life absent of kilowatts or gigahertz. So when we experience it, we think it is something special, but that is in fact the normal state of the bodies circuitry being activated.

It's the same "electricity" that keeps the heart pumping - basic stuff really.

Julian.

i'm not real sure what is being discussed. i thought "shivers down the spine" was something virtually everyone experiences during touching moments etc

• Like 1

>i thought "shivers down the spine" was something virtually everyone experiences during touching moments etc

look around you. callous zombies prevail.

It's much more than shivers down the spine but that's not to say the same nervous system isn't involved. Starts from the back my head, like strong amphetamine rushes and can shoot down all the extremities when it's really firing. At times my body can really ripple with it.

Look into spontaneous Kundalini awakenings, see if that correlates to the intensity you're experiencing.

Thing is if I concentrate real hard sometimes I can get back to this state naturally - imagining the rhythmic, cosmic movements, radiating the good vibes,

Anyone concur?

What do you mean by "if I concentrate real hard" ? explain how you'd do that, if you want

You could use such sensation as an object of concentration to enter jhana states. it creates a feedback loop - strong concentration on pleasant sensation generates more pleasant sensation, etc. you possibly have a sort of gift for it (karma/genetics/whatever)

This sort of sensation, often explained in the intense goosebumps/"hairs on the back of the neck" way, is one the 5 jhana factors (it's called 'piti' [from Pali] & often translated as rapture/bliss/delight, etc.)...given that we're talking about the same thing. may not be

jhanic concentration however (beyond first jhana) could not be attained unless the body and mind are still, with eyes closed, etc.

it's not necessarily kundalini activation though ... these sort of energy movements are common in people who've crossed the "arising & passing away" (from buddhist maps/stages of insight) & often don't even know it...so many people who've used psychedelics (even once) will have wandered into this territory.

Edited by coin
  • Like 1

No it's not Kundalini, not unless I've got a butt for a head - some might say that's true.

Browsing around various sites I can see that it's not uncommon but no-one knows what it is. Just about always linked to feelings of spirituality, something greater.

What do you mean by "if I concentrate real hard" ? explain how you'd do that, if you want

Well actually it's not that hard, just got to be fully focused on re-experiencing the peak.

To my mind if by just reexperiencing, the sensations are triggered, there must be a correlation with what goes on when you're really hitting the heights, so to speak.

when you say "no one knows what it is" -- what are you wanting to know?

you want a physiological explanation?

because like ThunderIdeal said, it's really nothing strange...i get exactly what I think you're describing except that my eyes well with tears, which you didn't mention. (this is not uncommon when entering the first jhana the first few times). don't most people just call that inspiration, or a moving/touching experience?? the word inspiration, after all, means to be filled with spirit, as well as to draw in breath - which historically is related to spiritual life force (chi/prana)....

and there's a second distinct sensation I get that is a whole-body feeling of humility/gratitude.

either people will say it's being "touched by/filled with the spirit", "it's a movement of chi/prana", or it's a mind/body phenomena facilitated by dopamine/serotonin/endorphin/neuropeptide surge

if it's the physiological that you're interested in -- there have been some studies done about the brain states correlated with jhana, and there are some new studies going on that are a lot more detailed and related with specific jhanas.

i'm not sure why you think it's unusual that recalling a past experience that re-triggers the phenomena is somehow unusual.....of course mentally reliving an experience revives the related sensations ... otherwise nostalgia wouldn't be such a popular pastime ? :)

i'm still not sure exactly what is being discussed or whether everyone is on the same page.

as far as 'shivers down the spine', strangebrew, what you're describing sounds more prolonged and intense than any i get.

electrified by a ghost sapito, that happened once, i wrote it up somewhere here, bizarre.

the other phenomenon that came to mind is one i don't think i've experienced in a decade. it is meditation-induced, always happened while intentionally stationary and while stoned, and i describe it as being overwhelmingly filled by an energy that pounded between my head and toes like a piston.

and there's a second distinct sensation I get that is a whole-body feeling of humility/gratitude.

Yep, that's there as well. I normally have a hard time feeling anything, I guess that's why it strikes me as unique but maybe I'm just magical thinking.

P.S. - I like the jhana stuff, I hadn't heard of it. It's interesting, the 5 hinderances are pretty much what I've always thought were hinderances to my otherworldly excursions too!

Edited by strangebrew

All this is normal stuff to a lot of people I know. Most people I know call it energy. Which is admittedly a crap word, but works better than "chi" or "prana".

wow it is good to see other people discussing these feelings with peace of mind... i experience this frequently and one thing that really triggers it off is a strong emotional experience; even if it's just from watching a touching movie or seeing a sad story on the news...

generally no-one else is around when it happens which in some ways comforts me as i do feel a bit odd when it happens sometimes... i almost feel like im going to cry for no good reason sometimes and i can definitely see how a psychiatrist would diagnose it as an illness and prescribe zombie inducing meds..

i feel a lot more at ease after reading this post! :worship:

you want a physiological explanation?

because like ThunderIdeal said, it's really nothing strange...i get exactly what I think you're describing except that my eyes well with tears, which you didn't mention. (this is not uncommon when entering the first jhana the first few times). don't most people just call that inspiration, or a moving/touching experience?? the word inspiration, after all, means to be filled with spirit, as well as to draw in breath - which historically is related to spiritual life force (chi/prana)....

Interesting! I've never heard of Jhana and will be reading up as much as I can cram in. I've had what this sounds like quite a few times. Watching Baraka (at various points) has triggered this feeling. Also just being in the presence of particularly powerful crystals/minerals (in a store where the lady is always nurturing and charging the stones) has also done this. Like an overwhelming wave of Zinging crashing around my upper torso, intensifying around my head. My eyes always welled at the time, too.