The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Nexuswalker

Acacia Maidenii seeds alkaloid content

Hey all,

I just found a half full packet of A. Maidenii seeds from SAB which I bought years ago before I knew what acacia trees looked like or that they were all over my property, anyway I noticed these say on the front of the packet 'high alkaloid content', I searched the forums and google and found no info, I'm wondering whether or not it would be worth my while to collect as many seeds as I can from the trees that I'm 90% positive are Maidenii (going to get a guy to look at them soon ;) ) this way I will not hurt the trees at all and I'll collect the seeds anyway if anyone wants any.

Does anyone have knowledge of the data on alkaloid content of A. Maidenii seeds at all please? and does anyone know if the alkaloid content on the seeds varies the same way they do in the bark of this species.

I don't know of any data on the alkaloid content of the seeds, but I don't think it would be worth while collecting the seeds for that purpose even if it was legal.

I suspect the label indicates that the parent trees that the seeds were collected from had high alkaloid content (given that many maidenii populations have very low content), rather than saying anything about the seeds themselves.

• Like 1

Damn, I only thought this might be the case because A. Maidenii isn't really high in alkaloid content at all, at least not compared to Obtusifolia or Mimosa Hostilis and definitely not to something like Phlaris Brachystachys. I may yet even get someone else to do an alkaloid extraction and just see what it yields. Will post if it's worthwhile or anyone is interested.

I may yet even get someone else to do an alkaloid extraction and just see what it yields. Will post if it's worthwhile or anyone is interested.

I'm pretty sure that performing an extraction would be construed as illegal (regardless of the result) if your intention is to extract illegal chemicals from the seeds.

Just thought I'd throw that out there to save you taking an unnecessary risk.