The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

Long day...

Edited by Ogun
  • Like 9

Took some strays to the free shop in the little coastal village where I grew up... Lots of hippies out there, I'm sure they'll find loving homes.

• Like 6

I got my first flower from a seed grown cactus...

Species is a mystery, any ideas?

• Like 1

a bridgesii looking quite rosy:

post-13685-0-94770000-1384134704_thumb.j

post-13685-0-06224300-1384134736_thumb.j

post-13685-0-45884700-1384134766_thumb.j

post-13685-0-31344200-1384134795_thumb.j

DSCN0433.JPG

DSCN0432.JPG

DSCN0431.JPG

DSCN0430.JPG

DSCN0433.JPG

DSCN0432.JPG

DSCN0431.JPG

DSCN0430.JPG

I checked some of my grafts today and I'm happy to say that I succesfully grafted two aztekium riterii seedlings to pereskiopsis. I will post pictures when they're bigger (they're like .5mm wide so they're hard to see) and also a crested monstrose bridgesii section grafted to a pereskiopsis took.

Pretty stoked about these grafts. :)

• Like 3

^^

excellent. i desperately want some aztekium

• Like 1

They are extremely hard to grow. The seeds are like little grains of finely ground flower. They take forever to even get to a size that you can handle to do a graft.

I just started about 30 different species today though (lophophora aztekium astrophytum ariocarpus echinocactus gymnocalycium and trichocereus) and I will be growing riterii and hintonii this time. I am excited to see what method of grafting works best for aztekiums. I'll keep you updated. I was pretty stoked when I saw the little seedlings puff back up and start receiving nutrients from the peres. Feels like a miracle. (I accidentally knocked the pot over a few weeks ago and could only save the tiny seedlings by grafting them. I didn't expect them to take. 2/7 took though.

Super stoked!

Edited by hostilis
  • Like 3

I'll keep you updated.

please do, just received some aztekium in the mail today your right you'd mistake it for dust if you didn't know what was in there. do you use anything special for aztekium or just the same as other mexican cacti (a rio and etc.)

I use a mixture of 20% earth worm castings and 80% fine sand for germination. I leave them in the humidity for a lot longer than any other cacti since they're tiny or so long. But I treat them prettymuch the same. Some other members might have more light to shed on the issue than me. I am only on my second try right now (this time with riterii and hintonii)

I have had a three goes with Aztekium ritteri the first I had a couple germinate and lost both at about 12 months the second was 0 germ and the third is what I have going at the moment. Five germinated and four were going ok one was stunted. I know there are definitely two still alive but I haven't lifted the pot out to check on the others for a month or so. They have been in humidity now for around 4+ months and I wanted to keep them in that environment for 12 months but I am getting fungi growing on the substrate now. I will probably try and graft two in the next few weeks and if there are other survivors then I will try spraying to kill the fungi and hope it doesn't kill what is left.

I also have a graft ( not my graft) that I have had for a year or so which pups quite a lot so I am going to try grafting some small pups soon. This is supposed to be a relatively difficult cacti to graft its pups but someone here said they had done it successfully but I cant remember who.

Cheers

Got

I spent the day extending my cactus garden to fit in the new editions to my spiky family. (Thanks again Got)

Planted some seed, looked at my newest cactus flower, and washed a whole heap of pots the neighbor gave me in preparation for a few cuttings to be planted in the next couple of weeks.

Edit: I just found a couple of cacti that I left on my shed's roof and forgot about for the last couple of months, in full sun and no water and one's fat as and the other is flowering! :)

2013-122.jpg

Edited by terracottacactus
  • Like 5

grafted 2 more tpm X n1 and grafted 2 pups from the same plant of a TPM X (sso2xpach)

removed the stocking from my 2 previous tpm X n1 grafts and both are successful

peace

Still haven't fixed the GH. brought some more stuff home

Finally got the greenhouse built and enough finishing modifications done to move some plants in. I still need to stain the benches, add a gravel floor and ventilation system and get electricity run out to it, but it was beginning to feel like I would never even get this far.

I have moved most of my Trich collection and a few others in temporarily since their previous temporary housing wasn't going to continue to protect them from the increasingly cold weather. It is challenging not to move in more before I get the rest of the finishing touches done.

Pretty stoked to be able to provide more consistent and optimal growing conditions for these guys and avoid some of the past issues which resulted in some of the scaring they show.

post-11556-0-23586900-1384798663_thumb.j

post-11556-0-16224000-1384798685_thumb.j

post-11556-0-51846900-1384798705_thumb.j

post-11556-0-23586900-1384798663_thumb.jpg

post-11556-0-16224000-1384798685_thumb.jpg

post-11556-0-51846900-1384798705_thumb.jpg

post-11556-0-23586900-1384798663_thumb.jpg

post-11556-0-16224000-1384798685_thumb.jpg

post-11556-0-51846900-1384798705_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Kykeion thats an epic little greenhouse, I'd love something like that, especially with a view!

• Like 1

Very well done Dawnbeaver! Lovely flower.

It's cool at the beginning how you can literally see the bud pulsating as it stretches out to the sun.

cheers :)

Edited by glimpse

I think as long as the cambiums are fused together and the exposed flesh is callused it should be fine.

Kykeion thats an epic little greenhouse, I'd love something like that, especially with a view!

Thanks lhb2444! It has been a dream long in the making. I jumped the gun a bit on moving plants in though. The BF had to move them all back out yesterday so he could get the benches stained. No big deal, but it just ain't the same without all those plants in there! He is doing electrical wiring today so hopefully they will be back in there by tonight or tomorrow.

^^^

awesome topping, that rock, very pretty seedlings, already showing their genus traits !

Edited by mutant

Potted some new cuttings, and a seedling:

ouSqIjO.jpg?1

OST 90641

PV94tJh.jpg?1

BK08611.5

Pztfk4J.jpg?1

Matucana cutting tested by Ogunbodede at 4.7%

• Like 1

Scored me some red, white and yellow dragon fruit plants. :)