The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

Hey dood, I could come over and give it a go for you if you like? I wouldn't call myself a pro but I have had pretty good success rates in the past :)

• Like 2

I have one that might be ok to use depending on how big the seedling is, let me know when your home one arvo this week and ill bring it over :)

I potted up some pachanoi pups and put them on the heatpad, just rooting a few grafting stocks in preparation for spring.

post-8023-0-61175900-1373274149_thumb.jp

Not today, but I recently refurbished my greenhouse with a layer of peastraw.

It feels like a cosy, comfy little nest now :)

post-8023-0-07709700-1373274248_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-45268000-1373274283_thumb.jp

Our cats love it!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

Assay like how nice they look? :) Sure.

D'oh! Thanks for the guidance Dr. Octogon - newbies do have a lot of info to take in. I assay that 'Los Gentiles' is beautiful. Love to touch the spines. Best of all, as others will no doubt attest, the connection of germination to nurturing the green dot to in this case foot-tall companion is like a full breath of clean air. We have a strong relation. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Wow Sclaws that unbelievable :) :)

Question: is this little caterpillar/worm/larvae eating my bridgesii? Or is he just hanging out by the damage coincidentally?

post-8023-0-90454300-1373492743_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

Today I bought 8 bits of wood (for the corners; I'll use some leftover decking timber for the rest of it) from the lumber yard / timber merchant (I prefer the sound of timber merchant), for my big potting mix bin. The dimensions will be about 1.2m wide, 0.8m deep and the height will start off at ~0.7m (but could go up to 1.2m high if I was psycho enough). It'll go under the house, so the potting mix will remain dry. Now that I think about it, I should probably attach some plastic to the inside of it to stop the potting mix from contacting the wood too much, even though it'll be dry.
Once that's done (probably a few weeks away), I can buy potting mix ingredients by the trailerload (no more expensive bags for me), and then I can pot all my seedlings into 2.5L pots. Then once they have grown nice and big, they can be for sale. :)

Now I need to find/buy some g-clamps, and then I can drill and screw together the corners, and then I just need to cut the decking timber to length, and using trusty clamps - drill and screw these into place too. Part of the slats on the front will be removable (cheers Nemisty for the suggestion), to make access easy for when the level gets low.

Edited by CβL
  • Like 1

This old mama has flowered for the first time this year today. The main plant is 10cm in diameter, on her own roots- some new pups (not visible) just peeking through the soil...

DSC_0971.jpg

Edited by sclaws
  • Like 8

The weather is pretty horrible today so I thought it would be a nice day to tackle some repotting.

These are Nitrogen's tricho crosses from 2012 (?), the generation that came before all the mutants.

There are some very cool genetics in these hybrids,

names like Huarazenis, Puqiensis, Ayacucho, puqio, and the ever-beautiful 'N1' :)

post-8023-0-31829800-1373769143_thumb.jp

Its gonna be a loong day :P

I remember sending out alot of these seeds, does anyone have seedlings on the go?

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

The weather is pretty horrible today so I thought it would be a nice day to tackle some repotting.These are Nitrogen's tricho crosses from 2012 (?), the generation that came before all the mutants.There are some very cool genetics in these hybrids,names like Huarazenis, Puqiensis, Ayacucho, puqio, and the ever-beautiful 'N1' :)attachicon.gifimage.jpgIts gonna be a loong day :pI remember sending out alot of these seeds, does anyone have seedlings on the go?

Looks like your going to have fun day, I have a few of those crosses, I grafted this puqiensis x scop because it looked weird :)

post-1330-0-55472000-1373770058_thumb.jppost-1330-0-23908400-1373770156_thumb.jp

Do you loose many seedlings when repotting at that size?

post-1330-0-55472000-1373770058_thumb.jpg

post-1330-0-23908400-1373770156_thumb.jpg

post-1330-0-55472000-1373770058_thumb.jpg

post-1330-0-23908400-1373770156_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeh haha its already been a couple hours of dithery repotting and I'm only up to the 4th type of 12 types total..

Nice! That is one odd lil cactus you got there.

I don't usually loose more than a couple when I'm repotting, but these have already been upsized once since I sowed them.

They might actually be older than I thought, I neglected them for ages by leaving them cramped in a TINY little dish, thats why they are so small and lanky. But they are very tough! They have been through some freezing temps lately without any losses.

Go Nitrogen! King of cactus seed!

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 1

post-11286-0-80429200-1373838863_thumb.j

Im always repotting… its Icaros turn: from the white 11 liter square pots in the right to the rounded brown 25 liter pots in the left, definitive home for the mothers.

post-11286-0-80429200-1373838863_thumb.jpg

post-11286-0-80429200-1373838863_thumb.jpg

Edited by slice
  • Like 2

grafted a few more seedlings, i tried a few upside down seedling grafts to see what happens. Astropyhtum tex and coreesei :P

hey, slice, nice ICAROS !

bogfrog,

1: are you using vermiculite with your substrate for the seedlings?

2: how are you sure the cat wont fuck the potting ? have you trained it? :)

• Like 2

Well, the other day...I spent a couple hours pulling weeds and crabgrass, which means my hands are a bit achy and red from all all the spine bits. I didn't get the ones in the front of the house as well as those in back...I mean, it's not easy work when you got crabgrass over a foot tall and seeding.

post-19-0-16195400-1374333088_thumb.jpg post-19-0-98533100-1374333153_thumb.jpg post-19-0-20785000-1374333122_thumb.jpg

~Michael~

post-19-0-16195400-1374333088_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-20785000-1374333122_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-98533100-1374333153_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-16195400-1374333088_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-20785000-1374333122_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-98533100-1374333153_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

^^^^

nice and tidy as always

how do you remember so many clones without tags?

And do I remember right, clay pots al over?

Yeah, I like them tidy...always saw cultivation as an art rather than a science. I certainly think I'm a little sick to remember all the names...though the known hybrids get a few tags.

And yup, with an exception of one clay colored pot in the back yard (right foreground) and a few black square containers for smaller plants it's all clay.

~Michael~

That cresting TBM is quite special.

hmm, bit slow over winter eh? :wink:

but potted up some bits and bobs been meaning to for a while, finally reached the third wall around the side (to keep them out the rain for the time being),

Of the 3 upside down Astro coreesei I did onto unrooted pereopskis, 1/3 were successfull

Finally got around to grafting the last 3 Nitrogen X's up. 20 in total, 8 each of the freaky crosses and 4 of the Psy X N1 cross. So all 8 of nitrogens X's are now grafted, atleast 4 plants of each. With how many freaks see from the other crosses I am excited to see what comes out of this lot. Moved afew of the larger grafts outside as they had grown too tall for the grow tub.

I worked further on building my gigantic potting mix bin. It's slowly, slowly, coming together. I have the base beginning to form. I overestimated the strength of a single screw, and found that the partial structure wasn't fully rigid. So where there was one screw per connection on the bottom, there's now 3. This is mainly to allow the partial pieces to be moved without breaking, rather than later structural integrity. I'm still going over in my head about the order of things remaining, and then it will be solely a function of time, materials (running out of one cut of timber), and how well my hands can survive screwing screws in before my skin rips off (already had some rip off just before).
Further problems are where to actually build the damn thing, as it's so big it won't fit out the shed door, and whether to drill all holes first, or drill incrementally in-case there's a drift in measurements.

• Like 1

Further problems are where to actually build the damn thing, as it's so big it won't fit out the shed door, and whether to drill all holes first, or drill incrementally in-case there's a drift in measurements.

Use datum dimensions in your plan, that is all your measurements are taken from a common reference point or line. That way you wont get any drift in measurements only minor individual errors.

Edited by SallyD
  • Like 1