The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

Man that has put on some nice size :drool2:! I was just looking at it earlier today in another thread of yours, I have been trying to get info on my little Tricho & found out the name or a word for what they call the yellow one's like yours & it's Schizochromism which means it is lacking a certain pigment but has the others, in the case of yellow & red cacti the missing pigment is chlorophyll. You probably already new that :P , but I just read about it the other day & found it interesting.

Cheers

Jox

• Like 2

yeah I have 3 really good sized ones they took really well and tough as not like my true albino lobivia which all turned to water past a certain % of albinosm.

watered, took some shots, took some cuttings, repotted the myrti crest, the usuall.

met again one of the most beautiful grasshoppers

http://postimg.org/image/f8cf6csuf/full/'>P1100309.jpg

The Obregonia in here is pretty biggy. I have it 4 years or so and was pretty tiny back then

http://postimg.org/image/71p0sis5j/full/'>P1100307.jpg

also took a shot of this alien fly! how I know its alien? it hasn't got off its space glasses yet. just arrived.

http://postimg.org/image/ska7tal8n/full/'>P1100325.jpg

• Like 13

today i whispered quietly to these tackers to lift their game and go for the ball instead of hanging around the outside of the pack waiting for someone to handball the pill out to them

post-4664-0-39543300-1370511546_thumb.jppost-4664-0-65868000-1370511567_thumb.jppost-4664-0-31900100-1370511586_thumb.jppost-4664-0-05578200-1370511608_thumb.jppost-4664-0-56869600-1370511625_thumb.jppost-4664-0-31525200-1370511647_thumb.jppost-4664-0-09989700-1370511678_thumb.jp

plants 024.jpg

plants 026.jpg

plants 027.jpg

plants 030.jpg

plants 031.jpg

plants 034.jpg

plants 038.jpg

plants 024.jpg

plants 026.jpg

plants 027.jpg

plants 030.jpg

plants 031.jpg

plants 034.jpg

plants 038.jpg

• Like 8

toes in 5 outa 7 shots :lol:

• Like 3

Woah.

Better call some assistants, pay them in cacti :P

That'l be a looong job otherwise.

• Like 1

wow. amazing collection slice

• Like 1

Today i gave some cacti and succulents a new home with my mum.

I took her through my collection and let her choose a few plants, she really liked an astrophytum myriostigma and thought the name was really funny when i said to her :P also gave her lots of succulents and pretty lil cacti which will have nice flowers in spring.

I organised to buy a greenhouse the same as mine for her off trademe and we set it up today, bit of 3D puzzle-making was good to clear my mind. When it was complete and we put the plastic cover over it, she was so stoked, huge grin :D we brought down comfy chairs and beers and potted up lots of little cuttings together.

• Like 5

How many did she chose out of your collection that you had to say nooooooo not that one because ....................... this one would be better for you :lol:

Cheers

Got

• Like 2

I gave her general guidelines, ie you can choose one from these 5 etc ;)

I just got a big box of new cacti and potted them up, then was wondering where to put them all lol.

Someone was trying to be generous and they were very generous, but i am low on space so i knew it was the right time to be passing on the cacti-joy.

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 2

I pulled some shade cloth over one of my A frame shaped stands and realised one of my oldest TBM and a few other strange cacti had pupped, considering I thought the growing season was over(almost) I was surprised... :)

Nothing overly exciting in comparison to the above members :( :(

Hey R&M, I have noticed some of my cacti are actively growing now too.

Its odd, my ariocarpus graft seems to be growing more now than it ever did in summer.

Cant wait for spring ( grafting season :P )

today i pollinated a few flowers and cut a big bridgesii into 3 pieces because it was getting too big for its pot and i wanted some cuttings from it. nothing too exciting

any tips for button cactus that are turning soft and squishy in winter ?

She hasn't seen much water over the last month or 2. I thought keeping her dry over winter was the way to go....... now im not so sure

In summer when they go squishy i give them a drink and they bonce back nicely, but im not sure about watering them in winter...

Hey Dreamtime, is the plant indoors?

I have noticed this as a potential problem too. As long as you keep the button indoors, preferably somewhere with artificial heating such as a heatpad, or even just in a room where the heatpump/heater/fire is on for several hours a day, watering a little bit is fine.

Aim for a small amount though, say 3 or 4 tablespoons worth to begin with and see if that puffs her up a bit.

I have lost a few of my slow growing cacti during winter by dehydrating them too much. I think when they are too sucked in they cant defend themselves from sunburn, bugs and infection as well as they usually can.

Edit: recently noticed this mummified-looking strombocactus disciformis which i dried to death

Woops

post-8023-0-10500600-1370845983_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 1

'myriostigma' is not funny, its greek :P

it means "million dots"

• Like 1

Hey thats awesome :)

Million dots sounds about right.

Are there any other greek cacti names mutant?

Btw i love your photos above, beautiful little bowl full of minatures, that aztekium looks happy, and that space fly is one cool dude :P

Edited by bogfrog

the aztekium and other slow growers started looking cool when I put them in soil and not the heavy draining mixture of perlite and sand I had put in my newb days. it even put on a new rib, so I can count the growth easily!

about greek names

lots of latin names are greek! lots of medical terms too!

For example

Hygrophorus , two greek words Hygros - wet , and phorus comes from a verb which means "baring" - indeed, Hygrophorus bares wet caps

Hygrophoropsis , which has a 3rd greek word, opsis, meaning "looking" , which means Hygrophoropsis, looks like Hygrophoros, or looks wet, but they're really waxy if you taouch them

TrichoCereus is also greek, well I think cereus is greek and means candle. tricho is hair - from hairy bvuds I guess.

opsis from echinopsis or anything is greek

echino- from echinocactus is also greek I thing, meing see urchin

asterias (edit] , means star in greek

Gymnocalicium gymno is naked and calycium is obviously "kalykas" in modern greek, which is calyx - well this might be latin or what. there are modern greek words deriving from latin indeed.

Gymnocalicium had naked (spineless/hariless) calyx

whenever you see acanthus, its greek for spines f.e. ferocactus chrysacanthus

here both the chryso = gold in greek, and acanthus is spines

Ancistrocactus ?? yep greek ancistri = hook in greek

hell Lophophora

Lopho is probably from greek lofio which is the tuft, and phora, like we said its greek for "baring" , so Lophophora means "baring tufts"

Steno (as in Stenocereus and Stenocactus) means narrow in greek, from narrow ribs

you want mushrooms?

-phylum = leafy

Cystoderma , both greek words, derma is skin , cysto -- > as in cystis

Leycoagaricus , leyco = white in greek

Lepiota - lepi = scale in greek

Amanita is also a word of greek descendence , I think, but i cannot proove it right now

Cantharellus is from ancient greek cantharos, a type of glass for wine

ending -oides is also greek, like in Leycopaxxilus lepistoides

Boletus pinophilus - philus = friend , as this like pines

Amanita citrina = cintrina - yellow in greek

Pseudo , like in Pseudocraterellus = false, and of course its greek

Hydnum is also a very old greek word, and it means I think, "mushroom" , or possibly truffles

so this Iwas doing, while I was supposed togot to the GH towater and check on my cacti!

I sould be leaving you... till laters!!

I will try to take a photo of that space fly without the glasses! :P

Edited by mutant
  • Like 7

taking care of a few seedlings sowed towards the end of this winter.

The next generation…

post-11286-0-05804600-1371565687_thumb.j

post-11286-0-05804600-1371565687_thumb.jpg

post-11286-0-05804600-1371565687_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I watched most of them from a distance,..... hosed the same lot with some water from a distance,.... mawfgin lizards ate my new seedling hostiles babies... (should I shoot them to schmittareens with my pellet rifle..?)....

a Hylocereus Polyrhizus has bloomed for the second time (2nd blooming wave)...too bad it needs cross pollination in order to set fruit. Have a few other hylocereus & selinicereus strains that should be able to take care of the cross pollination in a year or so... :-)

have a decent amount of graftstock ready,... Peruvies, perseky's amd selinicereus planted for some serious grafting I hope to be doing in the near future....

I'm selling some check out the trade forum :)

Made 60 more pereopskis cuttings. First time wearing gloves, I think I like it, More damage to the pere, but less damage to me :)

• Like 3

Sounds like your gearing up for some serious propagation there naja!

My peres are refusing to budge I cant wait for spring when everything starts moving again.

I sowed some ariocarpus and validus seeds on my heatpad today. Tried out using gibberilic acid for the first time, so i'm intrigued to see if it makes any/much difference.

I also used a little worm juice for the first time the other day, just on my indoor plants which are still growing on my heatpad. I diluted it for my cacti, and used full strength on my prized leafys. Leafys are looking spectacular a couple days on!

Edited by bogfrog