The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

aye that Auxi

the applicator wands are those things that girls use for eye make up ... :D and some guys according to youtube ... but any way..

were suggested i thnk by one of them... maybe both... to use a fresh one every time

to rid that very problem ... and i thnk maybe cuz theyre easy cleanable?...

maybe id gotten the paintbrush idea for pollinating some place else...?

yeah i thnk maybe a buddy in france i got a flowering pachanoi from - edit- no i thnk he said cotton bud/ cue tip

... shrug? i went back n edited it slightly , sorry my memory can suck sometimes despite other times being sharpened :innocent_n:

but artists paint brushes are definitely useful for gently cleaning seedlings of media

and flicking bits of dirt from the centre of lophs that had some spilled there / or however they get it...

lol maybe they juggle what they bring up from the dirt originally, from sprouting sub-soil level pups sometimes

and also the brush is useful for hard to reach/spiny bits on the trichs , and especially for getting into the grooves of dehydrated ones...

although the fat werdermannianus needed long nose tweezers

the hoover is quite useful for some work so long as the plant is too big/heavy to get snaffled up

and if ya dead careful not to tear it a new gash hole

static 'feather' dusters are useful time to time on the cacti

maybe you guys can put your expertise together and design a tool to fix these issues re: loph combing

and maybe bug extracting for when applicable...

possible name for it ... "the cactus ramora" :innocent_n:

mind you finding new uses for other things is fun - lol nice to see dog hair in the mix of ideas

here's one I forgot to addpost-14443-0-83514700-1418217464_thumb.jmy old toad's feeding tongs, they've been melted at the grips to get rid of any nasty scratchy bits and are nice for moving uprooted seedlings to a degree, rubber/foam padding and/or bristles would maybe be good additions

DSC00114.JPG

DSC00114.JPG

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

the applicator wands are those things that girls use for eye make up ... :D

Oh now you specify, you could have saved my mind that brief attempt at pollinating a cactus with a tampon :P

• Like 2

lol yeah girls here tell me theyre called make up wands, n if ya ask at the counter of some stores theyll tell ya applicator wands

x] i thought tampons were meant for smoking?

best tinder you'll ever find ;) every bush-going man should carry at least 1 pack at all times

dont inhale tho ;)

never know though , might accidentally find the latest "performance enhancing fumes" :P

Those are sexy.

Auxin, what do you call your hybrids, Old Yeller 1, Old Yeller 2? :P

yeah I'll buy ya puss hw much dyu want for it? ;) .....oh for scale, not for sale, *cleans non existant glasses*

beautiful kitty all the same

today in the cactisserie I added rosei genetics to the hunt list that's for sure :worship:

and set the props for the best sunpost-14443-0-34882100-1418215531_thumb.j at the angle it's beaming from for this time of year

havent added the little windmills yet, might not bother ... but i was going to

post-14443-0-95753900-1418215562_thumb.jpost-14443-0-70689400-1418215571_thumb.j

DSC00113.JPG

DSC00111.JPG

DSC00112.JPG

DSC00113.JPG

DSC00111.JPG

DSC00112.JPG

• Like 1

Fuck sake pimento, I hope your replacing the labels with better ones or planting in a very well defined grid and making a map.

It'd be a shame to have no idents on those in 5 years

• Like 2

Fuck sake pimento, I hope your replacing the labels with better ones or planting in a very well defined grid and making a map.

It'd be a shame to have no idents on those in 5 years

Yeah man, freaks me out that I may loose a name so after trawling the threads of this wonderful forum I have done and will do the following..........

1 - They have been planted in 6 rows

2 - Pachanoi, Scopulacola, Bridgesii, Peru have been planted in lineal groupings as have the crosses of each variety.

3 - I'll be replacing the labels with engraved metal ones that will be attached round the base of each plant with 2mm fencing wire.

4 - Have several written lists, on multiple devices of the plants in planted order.

5 - Once all plants are in the ground this year I will take pics of each plant and have a photo database as well.

With these 5 identification methods I hope not to loose a name.

• Like 4

Pimento, that's an amazing planting. Can't wait to see it in 20 years.

• Like 3

Update- Well fingers crossed. I surgically removed as much rot as I could and dusted the base of the lophs with mancozeb. They have been in front of the fan with their bums in the air for a few days to dry them out. I guess time will tell if it works. I have resigned my self to the fact that I may lose them. Its just the way the cookie crumbles some time.

Hopefully I can source some seed of the locale varieties if they succumb to the stress and rot. Its just really disheartening to see something you have cared for for so long to be dealt a double blow from rats and rot. I suppose I have the rest of my life to try and get it right.

The good news is that none of the other rat traps have been triggered, so I may have one less thing to worry about for the time being. I really hate having to kill any animal, but sometimes you are left with no option.

On a positive note, the few other cacti in the collection have responded well to the rain we have been getting in my region. They are super plump and have a lovely bright green colour to them. I will just have to be on my toes and make sure they dont get too water logged.

I might try and get some photos up when I can get outside. Ill also show you guys some of the damaged plants and see if you can give me some pointers or recovery tips.

Chow for now☺

• Like 2

Turtle Hermit, those three cuttings are AWESOME! Would love to see them in the Future! Very cool Variety...never seen this One before. Really rare and it would be great if you would breed with them!

• Like 2

200+ clones to get in the ground this summer, planted 140 so far.

Wow....a forest of cacti.
  • Like 2

Pimento this is an awesome project mate. And it looks like an awesome spot too! Well done, that must have been some work to clean and plant all these...

I think that 'beningo ben bridgesii' is a peruvianus though...

===

Well I tried the "old toothbrush" plot combined with blue spirit and soap spray. Works great for removing coccouns and shit from spines.... works cool to clean the underside of madnrake leaves off meally too. I think the mandrake, like Hyoscyamus doesnt like spirit, like it partially burns the leaf, I guess, I should do mandrake with plain soap then.

Edited by mutant

theres this shit called horticultural soappost-14443-0-08035900-1418392767_thumb.j , i dnno if its any better than reg soap but goes nice with this shitpost-14443-0-70920200-1418392771_thumb.j too

they were relatively cheap for how long they last as was

sb pi post-14443-0-05078000-1418392777_thumb.jis the muttz nuttz tho for non cactaceals (caapi is a little sensitive to first application, in my experience; but not the 2nd time and beyond), got this from cactusshopuk

and the label is lying about spidermite, nuthn beats sulphur n alcohol with wind and ventilation fr those brutha sukkaz

im not sure how a brew of 2 types of shit, some mutts nutts, and sulphur / alc would perform but might have to try it one day if plagued with bastages of the minute world ever again

-good to know mandrake/hyosc' is sensitive to alc , will be sure to pass that on if anyone asks in future

today in the cactery i vented and sunned the new cactlets and packaged up some seeds to share with a fellow

SABbage

after removing some tranformers from the downstairs halogen lighting , with a view to upgrade/downgrade to LEDs ... I wondered if they would be useful for future lighting needs or worth anything to someone else..

since I'm done with energy sapping halogens and really love LEDs.. I will probably visit some orchid pals of mine and see what transformers theyre using to convert voltages for their 8000k LEDs

I only want 6500K though for my cactery/aquaria/rainforestery/house lighting and i know there are a lot of shite LEDs out there currently in the mix... dont wanna burn my cacti and then the chip only last half a year lol

DSC00002.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00001.JPG

I guess I am too lazy to get on with real pesticides. I like to not wera gloves and masks and shit..

mites and mealies will always be around, I prefer to consider my cacti trained and hardy, and try to avoid chemicals or expensive biological solutions, unless a serious crisis occurs in numbers and not only in one or some specimens.

I cant feel too anxious about growing so many specimens, it should be enough most of the time..

My chillies were also hit my mealies, but they survived, now mealies seem to prefer mandrake which is actively growing.

Mealies also seems to like astros and gymnos in the closed greenhouse. Toothbrush manipulation should be better than pressure washing away

Cut some 3-4 cuttings off my Hildewintera CV alpha motherplant, a cactus every columnar lover should try and grow

excellent, aromatic flowers with a scent of apricot

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/HILDEWINTERA_HYBRID/Hildewintera_hybrids/Hildewintera_hybrid_alpha/Hildewintera_hibrid_alpha.htm

Edited by mutant

saw a tiny root on a loph degraft i got in a trade some months ago, only been sitting in effing soil for bloody 3 months sheesh

• Like 1

saw a tiny root on a loph degraft i got in a trade some months ago, only been sitting in effing soil for bloody 3 months sheesh

I hear ya ! lol There has to be a quicker way....

I hear ya ! lol There has to be a quicker way....

The ones I succeeded in rooting took from 1.5 years to 2 years

The ones I succeeded in rooting took from 1.5 years to 2 years

God Damn !

• Like 1

I degrafted a Lophophora alberto and it rooted in 2 months.

i bought a degraft loph with kikko ribs n it rooted within a couple of weeks in the cactus tank

post-14443-0-69473400-1418494632_thumb.j

I wish all my cuttings rooted that fast...

DSC00006.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

200+ clones to get in the ground this summer, planted 140 so far.

Bit of a job :)

The patch is 60 meters long and 20 wide, had to chop a few trees down and dig out a lot of crap to clear it all.

Still got some area to clear in the pic [/url]

Good work Pimento, that's awesome! Now you've got me looking at rural pproperties for sale on the internet

not happened today but i planted some 50+ pach x bridge seeds a while a go and fried almost 85% of them now i only have 7 or so remaining,

although maybe i can be reasonable assured they'll be able to handle the sun more better

• Like 1