The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

oooh philo that false-stick did eat a lot...

I am repulsed but this creature, but you cant help but admire its built and amazing stealth...

it also seem solitary and not in groups, seen in on graft but not trichos , hey philo is this a semi-monstrosa bridgesii it ate?

anyone got an idea on latin name , IDing the little bugger?

I have seen it also in green, but it might be a chameleon :P

• Like 1

Fuck slugs!!!! Never touched the scop before then decided to rape in while I was on holiday!! :(

post-13498-0-93615900-1404007588_thumb.j

post-13498-0-93615900-1404007588_thumb.jpg

post-13498-0-93615900-1404007588_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's an SS02xbridgesii that it was munching on in the pic, it seems like it targets new growth.

Me too, it's pretty amazing how this worm is built and how hard it dies. It's a try survivor. I burned a few and all of them took more than a second of being flamed to dies, which it think is too much for such a small body mass.

It seems that they're not interested in lophophora nor ariocarpus as they haven't touched any.

Most of my trichocereus have scares on they're tips and all of my pereskiopsis on the roof have half eaten leaves.

I was going to start a thread on IDing insects that feed on cacti, but I got too lazy :D

• Like 2

Fuck slugs!!!! Never touched the scop before then decided to rape in while I was on holiday!! :(

Do you know if it will still grow naturally from the tip or is it more likely to pup now?

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Like 2

(slugs / scop) might make it and not terminate, had this happen after worse attack : maybe thje aroles in the centre prevented them from eating deep ;)

• Like 1

Went for another hike in the desert and photographed this Crested Saguaro.

SaguaroCrest1.jpgSaguaroCrest2.jpg

SaguaroCrest.jpg

SaguaroCrest3.jpg

• Like 12

holy freakin sexy... there are a few cresting saguaro's in scottsdale, mainly on the frank loydwright road. would be awesome if you contacted the owner of the land and bought that top piece for your backyard.

• Like 1

thanks for sharing, amazing plant...

I watered, repotted some stuff, took some shots... planning some grafts tonight... should I check the moon? :P

this ozzie lophophora 'rahli' was grown from seeds of memeber rahli, one made it, it was grafted for some time , in selini, then I rooted it, then it went through damage with my GH adventures, but its looking fine and bluer than any of my lophos, and its also budding...

P1120044.jpg

also , what the fuck is this turbinicarpus doing? I dont remember the name.. I got the name somewhere though..... I always thought these areoles are strange and even looked like a pussy, but now new areoles seem to be coming from there... wtf?

P1120045.jpg

Edited by mutant
  • Like 3

Hey TH, what is the one 8th from last, with 8 ribs, in your last post?

Trichocereus sp' Andacollo chile

when i got it , i got a few, EG told me they were all chilensis on one of my first ever posts on this thread too :)

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

oooh philo that false-stick did eat a lot...

I am repulsed but this creature, but you cant help but admire its built and amazing stealth...

it also seem solitary and not in groups, seen in on graft but not trichos , hey philo is this a semi-monstrosa bridgesii it ate?

anyone got an idea on latin name , IDing the little bugger?

I have seen it also in green, but it might be a chameleon :P

looks like a geometrid caterpillar or "inch-worm" ... there's loads of types too

I love them, maybe since cartoons as a kid , and would personally let them off, unlike :uzi: slugs

heres a green one

and a pet :)

maybe ur turbinoctopussy x3 does have a name there somewhere ... lol maybe in one of the "secret pockets"

or its last name is x] quimbalanus

or is pupping like a mufu like I see some aztekiums and lophs are like occasionally , when shopping

and another cactus that i think is called ubelmannia ?

oh yeah moon is at 6% atm

• Like 1

Aired off the mighty tricho hybrids and added a bit more rubblepost-14443-0-13427100-1404076223_thumb.j

checked outdoor cacti for slugs since its been battering it down , found none so went out into the garden to slay some as a warning to the others x] ... or rather a distractive snack for them to gather round which would take them all night to eat...

and making them more prone to the daily "morning one-rocket killtacular"

and just in case they make it to the cacti before nightfall...

watered the flowering pach ... first one to dry , all the others still looking moist...

bought a lol pelecyphora ...

watched a varigated terscheck getting voraciously bid upon... and a few HUGE ariocarpus and a crested loph and an ancient aztekium

checked all the cacti over ... sat down ready for a night's study alongside them, beginning with watching the nightly bats fly around the bay tree hunting for moths n the like...

wishing it was a validus of equal proportion being pollinated by them...

got back up and added some mesh onto the cactery windows that I usually use for screening pots morepost-14443-0-63694100-1404080432_thumb.jthat should keep the bastskeeters out

found a tricho pach of mine has lol developed either pussies x3 or puffy nipplespost-14443-0-06526500-1404076402_thumb.j

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00088 (6).JPG

DSC00018.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00088 (6).JPG

DSC00018.JPG

I thought it was somwe T. schmiedicheanus , which has 10+ vars, but I cant seem to find it..

• Like 1

i daren't even look at terbies yet ... i only looked at pseudomacrochele , and found a few of my pelecyphs are synonymous ; so far

and that name is kinda funny x3

i dnno if its just me but it seems a lot of plants have been named with humour either by accident or...

um otherwise ... maybe its just the sense of humour of the universe's language as it tailors it to feed into my eyes ?

i daren't even look at terbies yet ... i only looked at pseudomacrochele , and found a few of my pelecyphs are synonymous ; so far

Most of your Pelecyphora's are now Turbs & HAVE BEEN FOR MANY YEARS!! I tried to tell you awhile ago but you told me to fuck off!! Maybe you should learn some respect. I was just trying to help!!

Cheers

Jox

• Like 1

Most of your Pelecyphora's are now Turbs & HAVE BEEN FOR MANY YEARS!! I tried to tell you awhile ago but you told me to fuck off!! Maybe you should learn some respect. I was just trying to help!!

Cheers

Jox

wow i must have blocked you too back then , i had to click something to see this

sorry Jox , I should've been grateful , and more polite, ... now to try undo this block thing

yeah i love that name pelecyphora , even if the others dont fully "bear hatchets"

the next one is solisia / mammilaria pectinifera..

last on the 'olde list' I wrote up when i had nothing and no pics .....

before a rather nice windfall compensation enabled me to get all these plants I wanted and wished so hard for...

, and as i've learned more about cacti , and some of the pitfalls in naming since you tried to help me ... from other ace peeps here

its definitely opened my eyes to what i couldnt see before I joined here, and probably my early days here too

so I'll add turbinicarpus to the backs of the labels in case I die and dont get to tell whoever inherits them; their most updated name

I will label them with synonyms attached from now - since I can write them small enough,

but will still personally see it as a pelecyphora too and want to keep that side of the label showing for me ...

I hope I didnt piss you off too much

I hope I can learn more from you and look fr a way to reciprocate

• Like 1

Planted a few more cacti in the ground. T. Lumberjackius, SS01, non PC Pachanoi, and T. glaucus

attachicon.gifIMG_20140624_144147.jpg

New growth on everything that has been growing is looking great, really fattening up and great spines.

T. Peruvianus X SS02

attachicon.gifIMG_20140624_151423.jpg

T. Pachanoi monstrose

attachicon.gifIMG_20140624_144219.jpg

T. Peruvianus Tarmensis

attachicon.gifIMG_20140624_151505.jpg

Should be visiting my other patch this weekend if things go right, I miss my other cacti :P

those two middle ones look like they're emitting light :wub:

wow i must have blocked you too back then , i had to click something to see this

sorry Jox , I should've been grateful , and more polite, ... now to try undo this block thing

yeah i love that name pelecyphora , even if the others dont fully "bear hatchets"

the next one is solisia / mammilaria pectinifera..

last on the 'olde list' I wrote up when i had nothing and no pics .....

before a rather nice windfall compensation enabled me to get all these plants I wanted and wished so hard for...

, and as i've learned more about cacti , and some of the pitfalls in naming since you tried to help me ... from other ace peeps here

its definitely opened my eyes to what i couldnt see before I joined here, and probably my early days here too

so I'll add turbinicarpus to the backs of the labels in case I die and dont get to tell whoever inherits them; their most updated name

I will label them with synonyms attached from now - since I can write them small enough,

but will still personally see it as a pelecyphora too and want to keep that side of the label showing for me ...

I hope I didnt piss you off too much

I hope I can learn more from you and look fr a way to reciprocate

Your apology is excepted mate, I have been checking out you posts & you seem to be a very enthusiastic cactus collector & very keen to learn, there are plenty of smart members here learn from :wink:!

Cheers

Jox

• Like 4

@ mutant- scop didn't terminate as they didn't eat into it deep enough to damage the meristem. Just some unsightly scarring now.

• Like 3

FruitsClose.jpgFruit2.jpg

The fruits taste like a fig that is not quite ripe - slightly sweet with lots of tiny seeds!

I love how the fruits "bloom" when they ripen.

• Like 2

I love how the fruits "bloom" when they ripen.

Yes the fruits "bloom" nicely - and the birds are waiting for them when they do!

Sometimes I see the doves just drinking the juice and not even eating the seeds (perhaps they already got their fill) - it's a hard life out in the desert!

• Like 2

did some emergency surgery after black rot had spread on a pupping stump to the point it was weeping orange liquid , whatever it is... off it fux!

sulphur dusted the wound ....post-14443-0-53056300-1404200619_thumb.j

-since reading a post zelly made about leaving black rot and doing nothing about it... ,

so far I had done just that ,but

making sure they got plenny of air

-seems to be working for all the "black bubble spot" Trichos but that single one...

gazed at them .....since it's basically having an ace dream with ya eyes open :wub: so is beneficial for me :lol:

they still havent dried -media wise- but I've never seen them growing so fast by the day before !

- checked the Sulcorebutia de-graft... has burst into roots B)post-14443-0-66961800-1404201801_thumb.j

-might've forgotten to add that i got a new pachanoid the other daypost-14443-0-77872900-1404201808_thumb.j

and the dinosaurus fast turned into a piece of crispy dry shiyt despite having thrown a few roots out ... dn thnk I'll be gettn one of them again

DSC00023.JPG

DSC00025.JPG

DSC00027.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

DSC00025.JPG

DSC00027.JPG

• Like 1

TH

some collective info on the notorius "black rot"

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21263&hl=%2Bblack+%2Brot

on old names, I urge you to buy that book 500 cacti by preston. its got plenty of Turbinicarpus species, one Pelecyphora, its dirt cheap.

Tons of info and notes on taxonomy, why and how some genuses merged with others a.o. The author accepts most of these modern changes, but keeps some names as, in his opinion are worth keeping , noting the latest taxonomy tendencies. An author with experience in the field also. What a fine book I bought by mistake. Lots to learn from there, and a fine book to aid in ID

I find the old genus name Echinofossulatus weird, I use the updated one with translates good in greek and fits the cactus shape.

When people use Echinopossulatus, I reckon they're old school growers and/or haven't opened up a recent book on cacti.

Thats waht some people might think about you calling macrochele or psudomacrochele or any turbini Pelecyphora.

cheers

• Like 1

boy I am tired.. the nice kind of tired though... I cut the grass with a grass-cutter, I had previously cleaned a bit around some cacti hidden in the dry grass, but hadn't found / remembered all.

Thus I cut a couple , a bridgesii tip and a pasacana tip hidden in the grass. its kinds of funny, as I have cut through cacti with all tools possible: knife, pruning scissors, grass-cutter, saw, even an axe!

well the possibilities are endless

• Like 1