The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

@ hookahhead- that looks similar to what zircon6 sells as "kk242" on ebay. I received a cutting from a private collector last year and if looks very similar to this. Also as AZS said it does slightly resemble SS01 tho my SS01 is far more glaucus. I don't believe it to be cuzcoensis. I'll post some pics once I can get a spare bit of time and daylight

Not exactly today, but anyhow, I got the Trichocereus collection outdoors a few days ago. The other shot is a little cactus garden I've had in a bay window in the same pot for a very very long time. I little secret about making these small collections that are for show and not propagation or size, and avoiding them outgrowing the container; use Coryphanta, in this case C. runyonii v. violaceae and C. compacta, as the genus has the ability to inhibit the growth of other genera that grow near. The other plants are Mammillaria heyderii in flower, Turbinicarpus jauernigii, and Echinocereus triglochidiatus.

attachicon.gifCollection 1.JPG attachicon.gifCactus Garden.jpg

~Michael~

Hi MsSmith,

do you have any problems with those clay pots, with the cacti getting cold feet? or do those pots in summer sit on soil and not concrete like the picture so won't conduct the cold and potentially cause REAL problems down the road?

i initially made my collection of all clay, but them being on tiles, it was inevitable that the cold feel made them susceptible to disease and not ideal growing conditions, whats your view on this?

much appreciate your vantage point, cheers!

@ Hookahhead - that definitely doesn't look like T. cuzcoensis to me. I have a plant that looks almost the same, and it came from 'T. pachanoi' seeds that were going around a couple years back. And at about the same time, there was a batch of mislabeled KK242 seeds that were actually pachanoi. That plant is almost certainly in the pachanoi/peruvianus group, and it's quite likely that the report on it's beauty isn't overly exagerated.

• Like 1

Hookahhead this is the 'KK242' from zircon6 clearly not a Cuzco. Gets very glaucus in the shade, I really like the spine color on this one. Got this off a private collector, as I don't really care for the BlanketMan.

post-13498-0-60638300-1399067251_thumb.j

post-13498-0-98130400-1399067477_thumb.j

post-13498-0-60638300-1399067251_thumb.jpg

post-13498-0-98130400-1399067477_thumb.jpg

post-13498-0-60638300-1399067251_thumb.jpg

post-13498-0-98130400-1399067477_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I might just stand corrected then. My clones do seem to look very similar to that EthnoGuy.

I don't remember the mother exactly, but some of the things I remember that made me think cuzco your plant shows as well.

White/bleached spines at the base
Dominant Central spine

Spine is fatter at the base

Spines get fairly long

The hair at areoles looks strange to me

I'll try to get a pic of the mother next time I see him, It's a large plant. I will definitely admit to him if I'm wrong :)

• Like 1

Hi guys, am about to go to sleep but wanted to add that kk242 is more than trichocereus cuzcoensis! This is really important as the kk242 stands for plants coming from a region/population, not the type itself. Many kk242 are cuzcoensis but many aren't! The plant in the pics has similarities to kk242 from the rio lurin!

• Like 2

Had one of those awesome days where you get to unwrap a package full of cacti :)

This is what I got from SS, can't wait for things to root so I can plant em in the ground. Not shown is several thousand seeds of 30+ tricho hybrids :wink:

post-13244-0-51265400-1399081271_thumb.j

Got the ones with roots planted into temporary containers

post-13244-0-23401700-1399081257_thumb.j

Put the unrooted cuttings into empty pots to get some indirect light under a table while rooting, I'll probably put them into something better to root this is just a temporary solution.

post-13244-0-21788400-1399081240_thumb.j

post-13244-0-21788400-1399081240_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-23401700-1399081257_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-51265400-1399081271_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-21788400-1399081240_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-23401700-1399081257_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-51265400-1399081271_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi MsSmith,

do you have any problems with those clay pots, with the cacti getting cold feet? or do those pots in summer sit on soil and not concrete like the picture so won't conduct the cold and potentially cause REAL problems down the road?

i initially made my collection of all clay, but them being on tiles, it was inevitable that the cold feel made them susceptible to disease and not ideal growing conditions, whats your view on this?

much appreciate your vantage point, cheers!

Hey C_T, I've never really had much problem with terra cotta, even when sitting on concrete or brick, and that is how I've grown my plants for 20+ years and well, do they look ok? In the photo above they are just acclimatizing in the driveway, but they will eventually sit around the homestead on concrete or brick. I'm certainly not providing ideal growing conditions, but my goal is pretty plants, and not maximum growth.

As for using terra cotta, well I know a lot of people regard it as inferior to plastic, but I use it primarily because of my temperate environment where I get quite a bit of rain throughout the growing season. The second advantage for me is that I can bring even wet plants into the garage at the end of the season and simply put a fan in there to help dry the soil as the clay is more pourous. I suspect that with plastic I wouldn't be able to get the soil to dry nearly as quick and I would get more root rot. But I think clay is pretty and I like the natural feel of it, plus cacti and plastic just seem like they should never touch each other.

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith
  • Like 3

Had one of those awesome days where you get to unwrap a package full of cacti :)

This is what I got from SS, can't wait for things to root so I can plant em in the ground. Not shown is several thousand seeds of 30+ tricho hybrids :wink:

attachicon.gifIMG_20140502_184753.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20140502_195947.jpg

Put the unrooted cuttings into empty pots to get some indirect light under a table while rooting, I'll probably put them into something better to root this is just a temporary solution.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140502_200026.jpg

Aw, a SS package! I remember those fondly..

• Like 2

Hey C_T, I've never really had much problem with terra cotta, even when sitting on concrete or brick, and that is how I've grown my plants for 20+ years and well, do they look ok? In the photo above they are just acclimatizing in the driveway, but they will eventually sit around the homestead on concrete or brick. I'm certainly not providing ideal growing conditions, but my goal is pretty plants, and not maximum growth.

As for using terra cotta, well I know a lot of people regard it as inferior to plastic, but I use it primarily because of my temperate environment where I get quite a bit of rain throughout the growing season. The second advantage for me is that I can bring even wet plants into the garage at the end of the season and simply put a fan in there to help dry the soil as the clay is more pourous. I suspect that with plastic I wouldn't be able to get the soil to dry nearly as quick and I would get more root rot. But I think clay is pretty and I like the natural feel of it, plus cacti and plastic just seem like they should never touch each other.

~Michael~

yes they look great, im was simply asking cause ive had some problems...

and no, i thought it was superior to plastic, which is why i bought all teracotta. but...

Edited by C_T

terracotta might be cool for lots of rain in the season, but its not very good for hot and rainless summers. I prefer clay for the extreme slow growers or the astros I keep in my roof the whole year...

• Like 2

The average rainfall for my growing season, April to October, is around 24 inches, or a little over 60 cm. Well, usually the plants come out mid-April and go back in mid-October, so minus a little if you want. Still quite a bit I suppose. Yeah, clay might not be best for hot and dry environments, especially if you want to save on the water bills.

~Michael~

• Like 2

Yeah, I live in a very hot dry place (in the summer) and I have to water the plants i have in terra cotta like crazy. I'm starting to like plastic better in my climate.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_20140502_184753.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20140502_195947.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20140502_200026.jpg

dude thats a genius way to dry your cuttings.... in an empty pot in the upright position. I just recently started using 100% perlite for my cuttings. That way i can pull them out to check for roots much easier without damaging roots and im certain to get way less rotting issues when planting a cutting too soon.

• Like 2

terracotta might be cool for lots of rain in the season, but its not very good for hot and rainless summers. I prefer clay for the extreme slow growers or the astros I keep in my roof the whole year...

was gna say the same for decent sized lophs too

but ill be sure to do the same with the astros now ..too

thanks

all my trichos are in plastic n loving it,

feels a lot nicer if one lands on ya toe when its plastic

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 2

Ernie the milkman must have been covering for pat again.. i only just bought this the other day frm Papizinha

Oh my Werd! -erm...annianus

gallery_14443_734_154865.jpg

size shot

gallery_14443_734_219454.jpg

that is one sexy -assed mo hocken kaktardo

ummm , turned the macrogonus cuttings round so the other sides could enjoy the sun

watered the hylocereus undatus..

• Like 2

Put up some shade cloth and noticed some flowers , a pup on my O. Echios and a pach that is possibly beginning to crest (?)

post-13369-0-56558200-1399426113_thumb.jpost-13369-0-97664200-1399426127_thumb.jpost-13369-0-24052200-1399426141_thumb.jpost-13369-0-95764200-1399426153_thumb.j

post-13369-0-56558200-1399426113_thumb.jpg

post-13369-0-97664200-1399426127_thumb.jpg

post-13369-0-24052200-1399426141_thumb.jpg

post-13369-0-95764200-1399426153_thumb.jpg

post-13369-0-56558200-1399426113_thumb.jpg

post-13369-0-97664200-1399426127_thumb.jpg

post-13369-0-24052200-1399426141_thumb.jpg

post-13369-0-95764200-1399426153_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Got my first variegated tricho, and it's a crest!

post-13244-0-68515900-1399439942_thumb.j

I also got a variegated TBM but the new growth fell off in transit so going to have to do some grafting tomorrow :BANGHEAD2:

I also tossed a couple cuttings in with my new crested pedro to help facilitate rooting

post-13244-0-80796300-1399439928_thumb.j

Going to visit my other garden at home this weekend, bringing lots of goodies to plant and will be sure to snap lots of pictures :)

post-13244-0-80796300-1399439928_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-68515900-1399439942_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-80796300-1399439928_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-68515900-1399439942_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Djmattz0r! Interesting Spination on the Variegated! What is that soil in the Rooting Box? Looks a bit woody and mulchy to root stuff in. I mean, it can work. But if you get a fungal infection in there, it will be hard to control.

In general, I would recommend you to choose another soil type. I see wood pieces as large as a finger. Rather looks like Orchid Soil.

• Like 2

It's a soil they sell at my place of work that is 'Texas Friendly' and It is very woody indeed. I actually removed a bunch of larger wood pieces, so this is less woody lol.

Surprisingly I have not seen any issues using it yet and we usually put uncalloused succulent cuttings directly into it when doing propagation. I just am using it temporarily though until I have a day off to run errands and purchase more soil ingredients :wink:

I don't plan on watering them either, was just something to set them in besides empty pots :)

• Like 1

The average rainfall for my growing season, April to October, is around 24 inches, or a little over 60 cm. Well, usually the plants come out mid-April and go back in mid-October, so minus a little if you want. Still quite a bit I suppose. Yeah, clay might not be best for hot and dry environments, especially if you want to save on the water bills.

~Michael~

May i also add tho, that you store your cacti, ON CARDBOARD during their winter (as shown in pics).

I think if you stored them bare on the concrete floor, they wouldn't look like that.

Any my point of asking and posting, was to confirm what your doing that works so well! Cheers :innocent_n:

• Like 1

today i got the very fattest cactus i ever owned ...a terschalidus :P

awesome Mutant work... the very 'validus' that has been winking at me for the last year or so from your posts

s'fkn immaculate condition! - what a pro

heres one side; that the cactus must have been laying on a lot of the journey ..as the spines stayed lodged in the box

gallery_14443_734_76602.jpg

gallery_14443_734_243378.jpg

gallery_14443_734_541759.jpg

heres the fully intact side .. in a 24x24cm pot (18 litre atami/wilma hydro pot)

gallery_14443_754_407200.jpg

i tapped the spines with a very dry super sponge that I usually wipe down the inside of the rainforest box with (10x own weight in water sponge) , every time i retracted the sponge, several spines came with it ... i imagined how my hand might've looked had it been instead of the super sponge, also each time i tried to pull a spine from the sponge it snapped unless i was ridiculously careful... ive been pranged even in the face by my other terscheckii's and they never left anything in me

, these "validus" spines seem a lot less forgiving, far more brittle and a lot whiter too .. seems this cactus wants its attackers to never forget :D - almost as bad as an opuntia

-just went and tried the same sponge flappy tappy thing on all my other terscheckii's and not one left a spine in the sponge - i wonder if this is a valid ID method?

- now i tried it on the werdermannianus and no spines came out

-just tried it on the macrogonus and the kk242 and the taquimbalensis - no spines came away on these either - im not even gna try it on the colossus , those 2 or 3 spines are fkn sacred :3

-anyone else notice tricho spines that want to pair with your flesh for life? a la opuntia, maybe theyre serrated/barbed under a 'scope too?

with a terscheckii?

DSC000282.JPG

That looks like a terscheckii to me. Still pretty young though. Nice plant either way.

Edited by hostilis
  • Like 1

thanks man, hoping for fast rooting!

hostilis this a huge fatty top unroot cutting with cut spines

it most definately is validus and was ID'ed from a couple of experienced fold here.

I will try to get more from my source, there doesn't seem to be enough around.

===

hmmmm what I did today with my cacti ...

the usual and quite a lot actually

gathered some stenocacti seed

de-weeding, re potting, I took the last pach crests from the old greenhouse, potted some newly rooted stuff.

I also retrieved some cacti that had been in the ground for a while in wild conditions, a couple ferocacti and a taquibalensis, all survivors of the fire

mechanically washed away scale

Edited by mutant
  • Like 2

there i took a pic of the beat side and swapped the pic- mustve been fkn heavy on its side for some time in the post

the beat side looks a lot less like a terscheck, most of the spines from that side were lodged in the box

:o I sure hope my terscheckii's are gna get that fat !

lol ok i edited it to the point this post is kinda in-valid now , my bad

• Like 1