The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

Loving how fat this little guy is getting, soooo slow but ought to turn into a monster in the end.

IMG_0306_zps2efc1428.jpg

IMG_0307_zpsbe5921b4.jpg

• Like 7

Earlier this week I came home after a couple days of heavy rain to find a branch had fallen and broken a big hole in the lid of my seedling tub and most of the pots in ziplock bags were floating on top of the water and a couple must have had small holes in the bags and were still on the bottom under 300mm of water , I'm just luck I checked them when I did :)

Since then I have got new tubs for all my seedlings , removed all seedlings from ziplock bags , done a couple more seedling grafts and ordered a heap different trich seeds .

• Like 1

A couple of days ago i removed the new shoots coming out the side of my fissuratus x lloydii peres graft, its been close to three weeks now and until i removed the pere shoots the graft was a bit shrivelled and looking like a fail.. Now the seedling has puffed up really nicely and looks like it may have actually worked :)

All my cacti are loving this heat, everything has pumped out fresh growth and this is looking to be my best summer yet.

• Like 2

fuquen around on super bowl sun day

post-11432-0-14007400-1359929827_thumb.j

:innocent_n:

they got some good h20 today too

post-11432-0-14007400-1359929827_thumb.jpg

post-11432-0-14007400-1359929827_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spine Collector

Do you use leaf goo to stick them down Spiney?

• Like 1

I tried a bridgesii on pere the other night, got sick of trying to use the goo and impaled it with a 27g sharp tip. I've heard from local cactus enthusiasts that this doesn't significantly cosmetically hurt the cactus, we'll see. (Of course they were using sewing needles...)

My first attempt at grafting (ariole) was washed by the rain, sadly. But it was my only casualty so I shan't complain.

• Like 2

nah, well I did on the albino one and another that I dropped and decided to recut in the first batch... but honestly I think that takes too much time and my best guess as to whats working is speed, cutting motion and mental preparation lol

i did that method with the little thin razor snapped in half, then cut peres a hair over the right height and then cut the scion in nice swift slicing swoosh to where the scion stays on the razor... if a little piece of the bottom gets hung push it off with my finger and then with the same razor the scion is waiting on, slice a thin sliver off the peres to where I can put it on there fast and careful... i'll admit I had to recut a couple of peres more than once just to get a nice straight cut... and the fresh cut has enough goo, even when i had to cut down 3 inches or more so they'd fit in the dome lol the goo definitely helps but for my hands there couldn't be a better method to get the scion on there as fast...

Meanwhile, Al B. is lookin strange...
post-11432-0-50661300-1359952473_thumb.j
hang in there Al. B!

post-11432-0-50661300-1359952473_thumb.jpg

post-11432-0-50661300-1359952473_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Today I moved some Peres grafts outside and very reluctantly gave my trichos a water... It's been two weeks of cloudy 20ish degree weather and I'm thinking maybe were done for summer where I am so wanted to get one extra water in!!

Today I moved some Peres grafts outside and very reluctantly gave my trichos a water... It's been two weeks of cloudy 20ish degree weather and I'm thinking maybe were done for summer where I am so wanted to get one extra water in!!

How are your Peres grafts going man ? Have you had much success yet? This weather sucks down here :(

I do all my peres indoors under CFL since I moved here man! I start all my grafts indoors also until they are strong enough for my balcony and the 3-4hrs direct sun and heat.

My viridis and coleus on the other hand are loving the weather lol can't win em all I guess!

This not what I have done today but what I don't have to do.

I don't have to hand water tonight because I have got all of my reticulation connected back up for all of my Trich's on the weekend. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did 30 grafts ( Loph's & Trich's) onto pere on the weekend as well :)

Cheers

Got

• Like 4

Nice work, GoOnThen.. I'd love to have some sort of automated water system.

I planted out my remaining trich hybrid seeds using the takeaway tek. I also watered my two month old germinated seedlings for the first time with a half-strength seasol mixture.

Some selenicereus grafts basking in the green house. Scions are seedlings from Nitrogen and Zelly's seed.

IMG_0053_zpsdcc846f6.jpg

TPC x Juules, SS02 & ( SS02 x Pach ). Lots of crazy freaks in this batch. So far just decided to graft this one.

IMG_0058_zps94336fab.jpg

Azureocereus hertlingianus I got from Corro cacti starting to grow!

IMG_0128_zps5e5b069a.jpg

Edited by Nemisty
  • Like 5

Nice Nemisty

What is your success rate with your selenicereus grafts and are you doing any thing different compered to using pere as stock

Cheers

Got

I've done about 12 grafts total this season with selenicereus and had one fail so far. I used it because I had stuff-all peres around and had this stuff nicely propagated.

In terms of care and maintaining prior-to and after grafting I treat it just the same as peres. Slightly older seedlings take really well on it I've found to be one difference when grafting. Its amazing to handle, those little spines do next to nothing to your skin and you can take off its pups with just your fingernail. It probably grows at about the same speed as peres also.

One disadvantage is I dont think its quite as rigid and strong as pereskiopsis as far as I can tell so far. So somewhere along the track they may need some propping up but we'll see

• Like 3

did more grafts today!

split an alby in half and did 2 grafts, 2 Peruvianuses too, and stuck the ass end of one on a pach

I am not addicted, no I am not

Sure sure :P

I gave most cacti a feed of seasol today, gave some to my pere grafts too.

I have a little ario cherry now as well. Super pleased that one was a success.

I grafted a very blue long-spine pedro pup to a pc pach. Also did an un-happy looking double-headed coryphantha to a pach and a few seedlings onto pere.

The gods have blessed us with another few days of 25C+ weather so all the trichs got another feed with seaweed juice I made myself. Super stoked that summer will continue for a bit here in the gong!

Fed all Trichos with worm wee. Hope to see some improved growth.

Last weekend all 12 of my year old T.Peruvianus fell out of their pot onto the grass. Replanted them today. Hoping they survive the trauma!!

Fed all Trichos with worm wee. Hope to see some improved growth.

Last weekend all 12 of my year old T.Peruvianus fell out of their pot onto the grass. Replanted them today. Hoping they survive the trauma!!

They will survive. without a doubt.

hey doodabide

how do you make you own fishweed fert?? we got lots of seeweed here and I was thinking about making some years now.

GOT Senicereus as stock need less water than both Pereskiopsis and even Hylocereus. If you dont believe me, You will have to kill a couple :)

So one suggestion I have to make about selini, if you're not really sure, dont water, leave it to the next time. On the other hand min have easily survived winters exposed to the elements. So its overwatering [some people get this with grafts, happened to me to] that kills them.

I grafted 15 of nitrogen's hybrid seedlings to Peres 7 TPC x JJ,sso2,(sso2 x pach) and 8 tpm x (sso2 x pach) I hope they all take :)post-1330-0-04860100-1360378744_thumb.jp

post-1330-0-04860100-1360378744_thumb.jpg

post-1330-0-04860100-1360378744_thumb.jpg

Edited by mushroomman
  • Like 3

Hi mutant. I use two methods

#1; leave heaped seaweed composting under lawn clippings for 2-3 mths. Turn each month removing lawn clippings first then replace over the top. When it's broken down nicely just sprinkle around your garden.

#2; thoroughly wash seaweed with fresh water and dry. Once dry I put in a bucket and cover with water. In a 30L pale I normally 2/3 fill it with seaweed and cover with water. I break it up vigorously with a stirrer (I use to use a cement mixer drill attachment) once a day for a week or two. Sometimes a week is enough. You'll notice the slush takes on a new appearance when ready... Drain and feed :)

I don't want to say this is a correct way of doin it and maybe ppl think its a waste of time, but I think it's an amazing tonic for our friends.

• Like 1

I left my only two new cuttings I received on the bench to heal. Awesome.

I also looked at them a few times, too.

Finding more victims from my ongoing dramas. Starting to think I've got something fungal combined with possible mites going on :BANGHEAD2: