The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

Yay for adeniums!!!

Today fertilized all my cacti with fish emulsion and seasol 10ml each in 9 litres. Excepts for my huernias and stapeliad which I sprayed with this awesome miticide and fungicide combination I picked up at Bunnos, mancozeb is the brand I think. Though I believe the spider mights have been and gone.

Split up a large Loph caespitosa for callousing and individual potting. Grafted a few homegrown Loph juveniles onto Bridgesii and pachanoi stock. Checked my other grafts of Loph juveniles (1.5yrs old) onto hulk and pachanoi stocks, have all taken and looks good. Screw pereskiopsis. The root stock of my Loph grafts past have healed over. Hopefully they produce more buttons. Pierced thenloph scions onto the rootstock with large old peris spined after applying pressure. Works a treat :)

• Like 1

checked my Astros that I had attempted to cross and looks like fruit forming.

DSCF2001-17.jpg

Some Gymnocalycium crosses setting fruit too.

• Like 6

I thought superkabutos dont fruit !?!

These Adeniums look awesome alright!

P1080110.jpg

It looks as if this seed grown and grafted asterias carries variegated genes after all. Seed sourced from a collection with lots of awesome astros.

Also got to transplant a possible crest from a tricho sowing

P1080127.jpg

• Like 4

Wow, that mutant tricho seedling looks pretty cool... excited to see how it develops! Any plans to graft it?

I haven't heard that before Mutant, I think its more the fact they don't necessarily produce reliable true Kabuto quality off spring. Which is cool any way as Astrophytum asteria are my favourite Astros. Love the crested little fella very cool.

today I tried to battle spider mite on my little adenium seedlings. Anyone got any tips I have treated repeatedly with pyrethrum today I trimmed back the leaves and give them a hit of metho. If that doesn't kill them I don't know what will. I don't have spider mite on any of my cacti but they just smash the adeniums its driving me crazy.

today I tried to battle spider mite on my little adenium seedlings. Anyone got any tips I have treated repeatedly with pyrethrum today I trimmed back the leaves and give them a hit of metho. If that doesn't kill them I don't know what will. I don't have spider mite on any of my cacti but they just smash the adeniums its driving me crazy.

tried white oil or sulphur?

• Like 1

will try sulphur tomorrow I here it works a treat.

You got a good magnifying glass Stillman?

I was battling with these little fuckers at the nursery for a few weeks...The pyrethrum didn't really do much, persistance and removing any traces of them (leaves and all) was what eventually proved successful... Bag them up and bin them....

• Like 1

Today I got a few big flexi-tub containers out and mixed my first ever cacti soil. I based the formula on information from "Trout's Guide to Cacti Cultivation" - an awesome little book, prolly one of my faves ethno-wise.

I ended up using a mix of 60% pumice, and 40% a mix of coir, compost and coarse sand (almost in equal parts - slightly less sand).

Then I planted my Eileen cutting in a goodly sized pot of that goodness, and filled a couple more pots for the other cacti I have either on the way or callousing off.

I kinda underestimated how much coir was going to be produced though haha. I buy it in 5kg blocks for $10 each shipped to me, but each one makes 60L approximately. So I kinda have about 40L left over. Any suggestions for leftover coir?

gtarman - i spread out my excess coir and let it air dry before bagging it up. gets a bit rank if you leave it wet. preferably use old potting mix bags, or something similar thats perforated. stores well this way.

• Like 2

I'm thinking I might just end up digging it in to a stretch of garden that has kinda crappy soil. Not too keen on keeping it, seeing as I still have another couple dry 5kg blocks ready to go when I need more.

^^LOL, Get more cactus :lol:

• Like 2

winterized cacti greenhouse by adding film

moved all the newly rooted cuttings inside

made them cozy

post-1168-0-40501700-1351433434_thumb.jp

post-1168-0-08059300-1351433493_thumb.jp

post-1168-0-00322800-1351433526_thumb.jp

post-1168-0-40501700-1351433434_thumb.jpg

post-1168-0-08059300-1351433493_thumb.jpg

post-1168-0-00322800-1351433526_thumb.jpg

post-1168-0-40501700-1351433434_thumb.jpg

post-1168-0-08059300-1351433493_thumb.jpg

post-1168-0-00322800-1351433526_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

be repetitive and very thorough. takes 3-4 applications over 7-10 days to kill all the adults and eggs

spray from the bottom up don't miss any nook or cranny

add a bit of humidity helps break their life cycle

• Like 1

dg420 - nice greenhouse. i'm assuming the string line on your first pic is to prevent your cacti from toppling over..?

if so good idea dude. i've been loading my pots up with gravel to make them more sturdy but a string line is a much better idea.

Drooled alittle over my little monster in the making. All kinds of different funkiness going on with it.

DSC00323.jpg

Other side.

DSC00324.jpg

Not bad for a $12 purchase last year.

• Like 11

If u don't want to eat them, yates rose gun has always worked for me. I guess u could use just the insecticide portion/active constitute of it, but hey just got the rose gun, it doesn't burn things.

gave all mine a big feed to kick in the season, noticing new growth on all of them now :)

snowfella nice monster!

cool GH dg, nice to see ;)

Too many cutesy cacti here, how about some cactus GOOOORRRREEEEE!

8141092791_bc5b22b1cf_c.jpg

This poor fella didn't like it's 1st winter in the ground and got beaten up good and proper with the cold and wet.

I waited to see what would happen as the weather warmed up and today I got a chance to see if there was anything I could do. I cut away the dried out skin to expose the mucky stuff, removing some of that too in the process. I’ll see how it dries out before deciding on further measures.

The pup looks like it could kick on.

8141215635_852e78379e_c.jpg

• Like 4

Today I just stared at my cacti.. :drool2:

The seedlings are coming along. The bigger plants are exhibiting new growth. And all is good. What I found extremely strange however, is one of my bridgesii seedlings has started throwing pups... It has thrown about 6-7 pups, including two on the same rib. Very strange. The tip is still growing excellently, so it's nothing to do with that being dead. It just must be a really excitable plant. Photos one day soon. :)

• Like 2

^

Witches broom maybe?

Or have you been using coconut milk?