The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

Today, I thanked my cacti for all the times they have spiked me, because no matter how bad they have been, it pales in comparison to this bloody fibreglass rash I have from crawling around in the ceiling!

• Like 2

Fiberglas is the devil. Hope you had Mask on. This shit is really hard on the lungs.

• Like 1

Potted up my epic find from the warehouse last weekend. $10.99 for this little mutant.

Have nick named 'Egor'

tricho_mutant.jpg

• Like 5

Out there staring at my cacti in the dark and rain. Still there...good shit!

• Like 1

Today i planted three cuttings that i took a month ago. Im not sure if trying to get them to root in winter is the best idea but i thought id give it a go.

I also re potted two smaller cacti

These photos were taken a month ago when i took the cuttings.

The first one is Trichocereus terscheckii X PsychoO

2012-04-30153953.jpg

I forget the name of this one maybe someone might have an idea ?

2012-04-30154002.jpg

These are the Cuttings

2012-04-30153923.jpg

2012-04-30153915.jpg

One month later planted

2012-06-10161832.jpg

This one is my favorite, Ive had this cute little button for almost a year and its time for a re pot

2012-06-06112340.jpg

2012-06-10152605.jpg

2012-06-10152938.jpg

2012-06-10154106.jpg

This one is two years old he was tiny when i got him from Bunnings. It wasn't labeled so i have no idea what he is either.

2012-06-06112309.jpg

2012-06-10151807.jpg

2012-06-10154116.jpg

And this is the whole family. The larger one in the blue pot is a Super Pedro, He is 3ish years old and was my first ever cactus. I saved him from some sort of black rot in his first year and now he is looking amazing.

2012-06-10162021.jpg

Im really looking forward to spring. If all goes well ill raise my first succulents from seed and give graphing a go.

Peace.

• Like 3

The second one looks like a Trichocereus scopulicolus (scop). I like the look of those terscheckii X PsychoO. All look nice and healthy.

I like the look of those terscheckii X PsychoO. All look nice and healthy.

Nice looking plant I don't think I have seen a mature plant of this cross before.

I had plans last night to do some grafting but that turned to shit. Its a bit hard to graft with no lights. Power was out four 12 hours :BANGHEAD2:

Cheers

Got

Storm damage :o From sundays storm, not the wussy one last night.

My seed grown scop and a scop X bridgesii

th_585565763_stormscop_122_227lo.JPG

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 3

Planted some seeds from a trade. Bridgedsii Hybrids..........and others that I had left. Have plenty graft stock ready for action.

• Like 1

BTW - seed credit goes to NZ forum member,.... also,... forgot to mention that half the Lop seeds that were up for trade went in a germination tray as well,.... feeling a little mad scientist crazy Muhuhahahahahaha today........ there will be more seeds soon if there people interested.

Did my first pereskiopsis graft (LW texansis) and got my first taste of glochoids in the fingers!

• Like 5

Did my first pereskiopsis graft (LW texansis) and got my first taste of glochoids in the fingers!

Good fun arnt they

Ooh baby yes. I added some tweezers to my grafting kit for next time.

^^^^^

lol

you graft for a while on pereskiopsis and then find out its a bit overestimated.

Try selinicereus sp. people

===

planting whatever gets into my hands [seed wise] repotting tens of cacti , grafted some rebutias / echinospsis, lobivia monster yesterday [on kk339, on myrtilocactus, on selinicereus]

freshly repotted Gymnocalicium baldianum. there are a couple white flowering ones in the bunch.

P1060435.jpg

• Like 1

They look really healthy mutant how big are they ?

Cheers

Got

hey

I did not grow them, huh, I bought them wholesale, but if I have toestimate anage, they must be 4, since they are flowering.

they look healthy, but the gymnocalicium batch plus some others had awful root mealies infection and I had towash them roots completely.

but yeah they seem to love it their new house.

Note: I am far from the best gymnocalicium cultivator. despite my impressive graftsof that gymno hybrid with pink flowers[managed to root 2 degrafts so far too!] , I have failed to teach gymnos to swim,that is survive the winter while getting wet by rain, lol. No, they cant do this. They all die, like f.e. stenocacti, or the more sensitive astros, capri and asterias.

so, as far as I am concerned, this time Iam taking them seriously, they are cacti and like to be treated as such.

So I bought a quantity of them to make friends for the ones I have killed in the past. Hopefully I sell most before I kill them, lol!

Some of the bunch even cluster so despite the infection the genetics were varied and nice: one heads, multiheads, at least on white flowered, all the species variation is here.

cheers!

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

Mutant baldianum grow like rockets they could be as little a 12 to 15 months if grown in good culture. A white flower is very strange something odd in the gene mix, grow that one out for sure. I rate the Gymnos have a small collection. I'll go take a couple pics of my baldianum I have one that is really weird Like a Giant I think its a cross only got it last year and it was tiny so can't wait for it to flower.

Ok so took a few pics of the harder to get Gymnos (the ones I have found harder to get lol) and a couple shots of a normal baldianum and my "Hulk" baldianum.

DSCF2534.jpg

DSCF2528.jpg

DSCF2526.jpg

DSCF2532.jpg

OK normal G baldianum and hulk bought at same time both were quite small both normal looking. Just realised the pic of the mutant bal is a bit fuzzy shit. but you get the gist of it its nearly twice th esize. same conditions everything.

DSCF2531.jpg

DSCF2530.jpg

and lastly a little G friedrichii rubra on own roots. I really like these guys, common as mud but nice plant cool pink flower.

DSCF2533.jpg

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 2

Those are beautiful cacti. I got a few, in fact I have a VERY variated garden.

Today, I thought of replacing my cacti soil. Instead of all sand (which was gray sand, think construction sand), I turned it into a 1:1 compost-sand and a shovelful of bromeliad mix (I don't know why it just banged in my head, but it's not much). This was done on the pot that has 3 species of cacti. I didn't bother replacing the soil of the other since it is very spiking, penetrating even my gloves.

12-15 months from seed ??

no way

have you grown a gymno from seed?

no fucking way unless you're suggesting grafted plants

I got a very good book on cacti, it states:

flowering time: 3-4 years from seed ,

white flowered forms appear in habitat

the white flowerted G. amerhauseri seems to simply a form from an outlying population"

an awesome book actually,bot it by chance, but has proved awesome

other than that, we will see if they are growing fast.

awesome specimen you got there, huh?

big and happy!

The lady I bought them off said they can flower one year old

so does Cactus art

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/GYMNOCALYCIUM/Gymnocalycium_baldianum/Gymnocalycium_baldianum/Gymnocalycium_baldianum.htm

They are th efastest growing Gymno from what I understand.

I am growing out a heap of Gymno seeds from my plants not G baldianum they are slow as lol. I'm just repeating what I was told, G baldianum are really fast maturing. And one of the few Gymnos that self seed.

Edited by Stillman

OK, I did not know that., pretty impressive, Its true that some of the batch I got are flowering at a small size 2.5 cm as the cactus art link says, but those in the photo are more in the 5 cm range. I guess we cannot know till we grow them from seed.

Other than that, they are definately not the fastest growing gymnocaliciums, G.saglione and its several varieties are the kings of gymno size and speed.

Also, I dont think Gymnos are self-fertile, especially baldianum so you might be growing hybrids.

http://cactiguide.co...bfb61da5958fd32 there are other example but this was the first one an an interesting thread.

I'll have a look around but G baldianun will self pollinate as will a couple others (gibbosum maybe?) it doesn't seem to be regular though. Mine did last year and afruit produced 8 seeds but my kids tipped it out lol.

edit

Mutant check this link out its a couple years old, this guy was growing Gymno in aeroponic set up.

http://keinhong.tripod.com/flowers-gymnocalycium02.html

In there experience manual pollination produced seeds. Thats what I found too, also with This variety I'm not 100 percent what it is. Only one I have manually polinated, It was in a hot box away from other Gymnos I thought it was either G gibbosum or eurypleurum or similar god knows.

DSCF2295.jpg

and the fruit

DSCF2001-6.jpg

and the seedlings are all about 5 mm at 4 months but I have neglected them and they are outside lol.

Edited by Stillman

repotted a heap of Gymnocalycium and took a tonne of photos in wait for the Summer seed project.

DSCF2544.jpg

link to a list of Gymnos I will be hopefully producing seed from, maybe some hybrids too. Really just depends on how well they flower this year.

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n153/stillmanz/Gymnocalycium/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ24

• Like 1

Good stuff Stillman I have been trying to buy some on ebay but I keep on getting pipped at the post :(

Cheers

Got