The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

I bought a tunnelhouse for all my plants, moved everyone into their new home and gave them a fertilize with Seasol.

Also notice my normal pachanoi pup from a pachanoi crest has thrown another two pups at the top

wow that is one nice house can i haz one? lol jk

srsly though id want a greenhouse in a city in a subdivision with a little space the biggest space and the only available spaces i got are at the front or at the left side of the house (still considered outdoors though) which is very near to the AC where do i put a greenhouse i want? D;

...or do i have to move to america? :P i'd love to see snow too and get my cacti to flower

Edited by Volle

lol if you're considering moving for your love of growing cacti, i dunno if America would necessarily be your best option. Australia or New Zealand are pretty nice!

yeah :) imma get a Business Management course and invest in aus-trey-lyah!

I have been doing some winter preparations. Put a fine gravel layer over most of my seedling containers to murder the algae and keep the soil from getting too dry too quick. I got some special sand from a volcano the other week, so I have put that into or onto a few containers too in the hopes it makes them into Xmen. I potted up a few cuttings and such, so that they can get some Autumn growth going before going mostly dormant. I weeded all my big cacti and gave them a liquid fertilizer, again to make use of the last few sunny days. I'm really amazed at how some of them have grown

I'm pretty sure I found two crests growing in my seedlings. One's a bridgesii cross, while the other is a peru cross. It's early days yet, and they could turn out to be just normal plants or pups. But I have a feeling they are crests. Another one of my big plants has been dropping ribs and going crazy, I was hoping it's not mutated, but it very well could be. My lophs are getting wastified by spider mite, and I'm having difficulty getting it under control. Part of it is apathy, as I hate whiny plants. But will be applying sulfur later today as well as purchasing some neem oil to try and salvage them.

Also repotted a few Acacia seedlings, but I think I have not inoculated the soil correctly, as the two that went into larger pots appear to be dead. I will try and scrape some rootsoil from an established Mimosa to hopefully keep the others alive.

That's about it I think. ^^ Happy gardening everyone else.

• Like 2

lol if you're considering moving for your love of growing cacti, i dunno if America would necessarily be your best option. Australia or New Zealand are pretty nice!

Hey bogfrog,

Gardens looking great, hope the plants you and your partner got from me are doing okay.

SA is cactus growing paradise, it never bloody rains!!

SA?

SA?

south Australia I assume

Yeah South Australia, climate seems perfect for Cacti though coming from New Zealand I wish it would rain just a little bit more!

• Like 2

Recieved some awsome rooted Pereskiopsis in the mail today :) Potted em up and gave a few other's a fert..

Bring forth the grafting (well, later hahaa)

Grafted another 30 loph seedlings, a few larger lophs onto some pc pach, packed and wrapped some waiting orders, and degrafted a large copiapoa.

Also - Australian cactiphiles may find It 'very' interesting to hear that the NZ crested pachenoi has finally made it here to Australia.

Shouldn't be too long and i can start grafting up a few for the community.

Happy days :wink:

Edited by tipz
  • Like 5

Considered moving my dudes inside as its getting very chilly, although we are still getting beautiful days.

My plants from you Quentin are looking fantastic, il pop up some pictures in the nz trichocereus thread soon. Lucky u in cacti paradise! I like my rain too much to leave.

I had to perform some emergency surgery on a rotting loph.

It had some strange blue/green fungus and serious root rot.

Got a few grafts but I was very sad to discect this one as it was my first loph and a gift from my partner.

Recieved a heap of different LW's and other Lophs, and numerous other sexy little cacti.. Planted them in their new homes!

• Like 1

^^

hey show them dude!!! pictures or it never happened :P

===

bought 6 LW caespitosas I spotted in a nursery and a begonia rex.

took some photos, potted some native / wild succulents I obtained yesterday from the wild / habitat

Hey Mutant are you into begonia's ?

I can probably get rare and hybrid seeds if you are.

post-4489-0-11213000-1335231984_thumb.jppost-4489-0-53251300-1335229796_thumb.jppost-4489-0-84986900-1335229830_thumb.jppost-4489-0-52015900-1335229866_thumb.jp

Sorry for the hijack back to the cacti

post-4489-0-03026400-1335230284_thumb.jppost-4489-0-50746200-1335230527_thumb.jp

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-53251300-1335229796_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-84986900-1335229830_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-52015900-1335229866_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-03026400-1335230284_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-50746200-1335230527_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-11213000-1335231984_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-53251300-1335229796_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-84986900-1335229830_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-52015900-1335229866_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-03026400-1335230284_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-50746200-1335230527_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-11213000-1335231984_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoOnThen
  • Like 2

hey show them dude!!! pictures or it never happened :P

Done! But started my own thread :)

Sorry for the hijack back to the cacti

post-4489-0-03026400-1335230284_thumb.jppost-4489-0-50746200-1335230527_thumb.jp

Cheers

Goon

What are those grafts mate? :drool2:

What are those grafts mate? :drool2:

Ariocarpus furfuraceus :)

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

continued to baffle my neighbours as i lumbered my newly acquired 3 metre pachnoi into my unit. frickin 3 metres long, thats gotta be a bloody record (only just fit in the car!).

not bad for a freebie (thanks to some random old italian woman whose door i knocked)

• Like 4

i just repotted mai cactus, "sided" (to put to the side; as i call it) (and was put on the floor quite harshly by someone), added some potting mix, just a a little and added a cute rock :)

Hey Dave have you got that on a unit balcony?if so that is excellent.

Not really done today but still, moved part of the collection into it's winter quarters = just further in under the awning to keep them out of the rain for the colder season. What can't be seen is some columnards and opuntias that are hiding underneath the white table plus another table with 30 odd cactii out of frame.

IMG_0138.jpg

It's got alittle out of hand to be honest :blush:

• Like 2

Not really done today but still, moved part of the collection into it's winter quarters = just further in under the awning to keep them out of the rain for the colder season. What can't be seen is some columnards and opuntias that are hiding underneath the white table plus another table with 30 odd cactii out of frame.

IMG_0138.jpg

It's got alittle out of hand to be honest :blush:

Hehe I can see you :)

gotta ask... what are those white sticks for?

Yep, you can see me. That TBM top right ended up in a "good" spot too :rolleyes:

The little white sticks are name labels, no way I could keep track of what they all are just by memory alone! Looks messy but haven't figured out a better way of doing it yet.

Edited by Snowfella