The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

44d29bcc.jpg

took this photo today, the grafts i did after returning from EGA, got me all excited and the pedro's hit the roof anyway.

left is rosea1, right is true blue peruviauns

• Like 1

Weeded all my big plants. Was quite a mission, and I bet it'll be a horror story again in 2 weeks. :/

Gave them some solid fertilizer, and another round of liquid fertilizer.

I sowed more bridgesii and loph seeds recently and they are popping out all over the place. :)

The sun has been out and about much more recently and temps are rising so I potted 3 new bridgesii cuttings, repotted another badly root bound bridgesii, potted a spachianus cutting, put together a green house for them on the balcony and got them together with all my other mature cacti out there! My back was kinda sore at the end but it was worth it.

I grafted a couple trich peruvianus seedlings on pers and potted a nice fat peruvianus cutting I bought off tripsis :)

I took a few pictures :P

Strombocactus disciformis crestata

strombocrestdsc0428.jpg

strombocrestdsc0437.jpg

• Like 8

Zelly you never fail to amaze with photos of your plants :drool2:

Thanks for posting

Cheers

Got

A crested Strombocactus is probably the coolest thing ever.

So pretty in flower :)

That Strombocactus crest is AMAZING!!! :worship:

Edited by tonic

^^^^^

no shit, this thing flowers?

simply awesome!

Nice pics of a great plant there zelly.

Today I potted up my first peres cuts, can't wait to try grafting some babies onto them !

Cheers guys ,

Swiper.

post-10629-0-65426000-1331805995_thumb.j

post-10629-0-65426000-1331805995_thumb.jpg

post-10629-0-65426000-1331805995_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Found out that some of the seedling containers have losses because of fungal root rot. It mostly occurs on the same type of seeds so i assume its because they havent been cleaned enough. Decided its time to open ALL the containers before they get infected too but didnt have enough space for that. As we had 20 degrees yesterday, i thought it might be warm enough in the greenhouse already to bring them outside. This morning, temps went down to zero degree in the greenhouse so i had to take em inside again. Like all of them. Spent three hours bringing the seedlings back in and placing them in three diffrent rooms and put lamps over them to speed up the recovery. Am burning heaps of electricity right now so i hope i´ll have everything under control in a few days. What a day.

Edited by Evil Genius

Received a 250 euro order from Italy, containters, sowing dishes and cacti.

This includes obregonias, lopho diffusas [my first], 2 slightly variegated ferocacti [my first two] and more like astrophytums etc.

Going to pot them now

• Like 1

In Germany it was 17° today and I brought the collection out. I found non of my T.glaucus seedlings had survived the winter in the cellar. I going to plant some new seeds now to calm me down.

Hi Spined, did you bring them outside in the garden or in the greenhouse? Nights can still be pretty cold....wouldnt want to let them outside over night. Im sure most will take the frost but it depends on the species.

They are on my balcony. It has a roof and walls all around except to the south, the walls buffers the night cold a bit. I had left a pot with bridgesii plants outside for about a week, they had night temps around 3° and it looks like it didn't hurt them. Now it is getting warmer here and I decided that spring has started and it won't freeze anymore...I might have been a bit optimistic about that. I'll monitor night temps and if it is getting colder than 3°C again I will have to evacuate them to the living room. My gf will love it...

If they are under a roof, it should be fine. As long as they dont stay wet for a week or so, frost wont hurt them. Most Trichos take frost to minus 10 anyway. But there are many cultivars that dont that much. Bridgesii are hardy as hell so they should be fine. Will take the seedlings in the greenhouse in the next few days again as well. Guess i was overcauteous.

i stepped outside to see the monstrose has a new little pup.

speaking of which, does anyone else like to bet with themselves where they think their plants will pup from?

one of my mates pachanoi full looked like it was pregnant on one rib for like 3 months and it finally sprouted a pup the other week. was quite interesting to watch.

anyways, planted some loph seeds today for the first time so im hoping at least one will sprout!

Today I went and gave my cacti a nice drink of worm pooh, miracle grow and coconut milk mixed with rainwater.

I noticed that on one of my caespitosa grafts, I have what seems to be a crested pup forming.

It is also throwing minute mutated flowers from an areole too. Ill get photos some time tomorrow.

I hope It's not a dicho pup, but the way it's looking I think i finally have a lophophora williamsii caespitosa cristata :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :)

And I am rejoicing

• Like 2

on lopho caespitosa>>>

There are formations that are monstrosous, especially in smaller plants. Some heads might go dichotomous and such. This is been discussed in the past, and even the tendency of the main stem to pup seemingly from no where.

What I haven't noticed is if these strange formations are more often in particular plants, or in underage plants only. Fact is I haven't grown them long enough to form a solid opinion .

maybe this tendency can be considered a monstrosity or even better, since monstrosity are not so successful in habitat, an evolution.

whatever the case, they seem to be quite hardier and faster growing plants in cultivation than single headed types... IME that is.

Not so good for grafting. Mine grow so fast they explode from the inside our so lucky u can get mail order cacti mutant. I would be broke.

Edited by incognito

Grafted to Trichocereus and Opuntia stocks. Did a couple grafts onto some of Mel's SS02 crosses, I want to see how grafting on to seedlings will affect growth.. hopefully the scions wont become so bloated like on pig fat pachs.

What I grafted (all lophs)

Diffusa

Diffusa var koehresii

Fricci var albiflora

Williamsii var caespitosa

Williamsii var texansis

Grafted to Trichocereus and Opuntia stocks. Did a couple grafts onto some of Mel's SS02 crosses, I want to see how grafting on to seedlings will affect growth.. hopefully the scions wont become so bloated like on pig fat pachs.

I am interested in seeing how your grafts onto seedlings go. What size and how old was the seedling stock when you grafted onto them? Can you keep us updated on this please :)

Cheers

Got

Sure thing :)

Scions would have been 0.7 - 1cm wide, stock 10 - 8cm tall.

Not sure on the age of the seedlings as they were grown by Bit, I'm guessing 1-2 years though. They are the runts that were left outside after being seperated from their larger siblings.