The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

at first there was 3... then there was 5! Now its 6!!! (edit my avatar is it 2 christmas ago, thats the missing arm that started it)

8d1d0da4.jpg

and some loph sun dried seeds, ready to go again!!!

8138e653.jpg

taken with an unstead hand and iphone 3gs ouch...

Edited by C_T
  • Like 2

at first there was 3... then there was 5! Now its 6!!! (edit my avatar is it 2 christmas ago, thats the missing arm that started it)

Anything special you;ve been giving that to get so many pups? Most of my stumps don't have more than one or two, although they were all planted and roted as stumps, rather than being cut while actively growing which I have noticed can make them pup more.

nah man, 1/4 strength miracle grow from the supermarket.

lol it looks like when it got to 3 pups a cockroach or something had a nibble, then it continued

i don't have a single cacti with more than 2 pups except this one, and the 2 pups are 1 big 1 new not 3, 4 or 5 new ones. i was and still am totally taken aback. but love the genetics of the bogan.

Yeah actually I remember miracle gro was great for stimulating pups! :)

I couldn;t find any when I first moved back here, but I just realized last week it was because they changed packets so I got some and gave everybody a taste..

although I have always used it at half strength, how often do you give yours quarter strength?

Bogan hey, must try and chase one of those down!

Edited by chilli

afe9dd9f.jpg

what the rest of them look like on exact same diet.

no none of the others really have any pups i have a few new ones which is just normal for this time of the season and the way the light changes angle this time of year... depressing part hasn't started yet :P

So how often do you give them miracle grow C_T?

i give my cacti FULL strength miracle grow like once a week through summer... the ones that get it do seem to show an uncharachteristicly high number/percentage of new pups....it made my williamsii's crack new pups out of their top most aeoles this season, instead of from the bottom like im so used to seeing....i stop before the end of watering season, so they can have only water for last several feedings to help rebalance ph and flush salts out of substrate for winter.

way less than 2d2h

I used to do 1/2 strength every couple of weeks.. I did occasionally get a bit of burn I recall but I might try cranking it up a bit after hearing that 2d2h

just make sure they're getting flushes of water (preferably rain) but most times im using tap in between fertz...

i found seaweed extract ( I use seAsol which i beleive is a form of bull kelp) helps keep the root systems of my cacti incredibly healthy with good mass, which helps to avoid the plant burning....(only my pride and joy so my little round bugger cacti get the nutrient regime. Im too lazy to fert my trichos properly), so we are talking about mexicans with long single taproots in general here.

people knock seasol but i swear by it.....id compare it to Canna's Rhyzotonic, with almost as good results, just dont try and put it through 4mm iriigation lines as it is a little thicker than Ryzo and will quickly block your nozzles...

full routine is every third day they get a feed......Cycle is :seasol, water, miracle grow, water , water .......thats pretty much every fortnight

Even my 2 month old peres/loph grafts have had several (small amount) full strength miracle grow applications, and absolutely love it......

Edited by 2Deep2Handle
  • Like 1

Nah stuff like seasol is great, who knocks it? I alternate fortnights with seasol and npk ferts.. been using carp fert but just started with 1/2 strength miracle gro. Every third day? wow, I would have thought that would have burned them for sure.. how much growth do you notice on your trichs on average per year with so much ferts?

I've changed the soil of my snake plant just early this morning. And I've noticed that Snake Plants do well outside, even though it's rainy, but the last time i watered it, it rotted. Can someone give me an explanation? ):

Today i done some drainage work. Put in a length of aggy pipe and a seepage gravel line through my garden, works perfectly mite i add :lol: Flooding was getting baad so im glad i acted when i did. Then i top dressed with pepples, threw down some slow release, and admired the results of a hard days work :)

looked at my seedling and noticed i have a few variegated ones :) yay finally...

I think the seed was from thed00dabides thank you so much mate xD

Edited by jwerta

chilli.....im too lazy to water all ym trichs and colomer cacti....im talking about my mexicans(tap roots) and mammillaria, loph, tbms, opuntia crests, astros, gymos etc

I repotted a half dozen of this season's Trichocereus seedlings. I think they are almost ready to live in full-sun full-time, which I'm pretty happy with. They look so cute and healthy.

Potted up all the grafting stock: various pachanoi and some opuntia pads.

Killed a couple mealy bugs!

Got all my trades together to post off come Monday.

Grafted what appears to be a double headed L. fricii var. albiflora pup from a BAPd plant.

Also grafted a small cuzco looking pup onto pachanoi stock

Cleaned up the cactus house and cut back the Salvia

Took a photo of some weirdness that I hope continues

post-7609-0-05947800-1330735207_thumb.jp

post-7609-0-05947800-1330735207_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-05947800-1330735207_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I put a couple more cacti in a raised bed yesterday, I pretty much just got finished and it has been torrential rain ever since so I guess they are watered in...lol The bed gets great sun and I think they will like it a lot there.

DSCF2001-7.jpg

• Like 1

I look forward to seeing the growth on these at the end of next season :wink:

Liking the raised bed a lot Stillman B)

Potted this beautiful T. peruvianus cut from the recent Tripsis sale. I think I should have gotten a bigger pot. It’s dwarfing this 13”er.

post-7065-0-54304200-1330922669_thumb.jppost-7065-0-90701900-1330922705_thumb.jppost-7065-0-96628800-1330922735_thumb.jp

Something took a chunk out of one of my bridgesii too :/

post-7065-0-35646500-1330922759_thumb.jp

post-7065-0-54304200-1330922669_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-90701900-1330922705_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-96628800-1330922735_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-35646500-1330922759_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-54304200-1330922669_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-90701900-1330922705_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-96628800-1330922735_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-35646500-1330922759_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Just prepared a mix of confidor (anti-insect), sulfur (anti-fungal) and fertiliser to strenghten some of my most important and somehow not so healthy seedlings and watered them with it. Spidermites werent affected at all so i think about spraying with spruzit as well to get rid of them. If you buy cacti on ebay from time to time and cant overwintering them outside, its pretty much impossible not to use a few chemicals from time to time. One infected plant is enough and spidermites will infect the whole collection in just a few months. Older plants usually dont die from it but for seedlings, spidermites are really really dangerous. If you grow cacti from seed and lose many of them to funfal infections, take a magnifying glass and check for spidermites or mealies. They usually are the entry doors for fungal infections. In most cases, healthy seedlings can deal with fungal infections. But the moment they have a gazillion sucking insects sitting on top of them, they just cant take it anymore.

Edited by Evil Genius

Haha too late 2d2h I already burnt some! :)

be832a5c.jpg

just thought i'd update since its so purty :)

• Like 2