The Corroboree
satyr

Instant Grain Spawn

Could not find any links to this tek, so I thought I just share it…

I use to prepare grain-spawn in those microwavable brown rice bags. Just inject LC (without microwaving!!) and cut a little hole for AE in one corner and fill it with polyfill (all in glove box). Then gently squeeze bag to loosen up the rice a bit. Incubate…done…moisture content of the rice grains seems to bee sufficient.

This particular bag has been inoculated with king-oyster LC on the 13/10 and that is what goes onto bulk.

As with everything there might be some drawbacks as price (around $3 per bag), hard to track myc grow (apart from the bottom-window which is clear plastic), no shaking therefore probably slowed growth…but if you are not too much in a hurry, only need small amounts of spawn and work sterile I found it to be the method with least hassle.

:rolleyes:

post-6036-0-10643600-1320730126_thumb.jp

post-6036-0-73302400-1320730150_thumb.jp

post-6036-0-10643600-1320730126_thumb.jpg

post-6036-0-73302400-1320730150_thumb.jpg

post-6036-0-10643600-1320730126_thumb.jpg

post-6036-0-73302400-1320730150_thumb.jpg

Edited by satyr
  • Like 6

Ha! Novel idea!

Wow, awesome idea...

Does it really work though, i mean have you tried it yourself? I would have thought a product like that would be certain to have some kind of chemical to inhibit fungi and bacterial growth.

Wow, awesome idea...

Does it really work though, i mean have you tried it yourself? I would have thought a product like that would be certain to have some kind of chemical to inhibit fungi and bacterial growth.

yeah sure i tried it...pics just taken :rolleyes:

I believe the rice is precooked and sterilised (via heat) so then those 90secs in the mic bring it to "eatability",

make the kernels "pop" (which we dont want)...

That is a really great idea - never thought of that.

I might just give that a try soon. So much easier than soaking, washing, pressure cooking, keeping it all sealed and sterile - its already done B)

Thanks for sharing

WOW! I have just been using spent mushroom compost, throwing it into a sanger bag and chucking a few pieces of mycelium in, with no contams! Aswell as straight coco coir, I just pure hot tap water of the block to swell it in an esky then close the lid for an hour or so, then bag up and throw in some mycelium. I will say though, that these are only from usuing white oyster mycelium sections. Have not tried it with other edibles.

I will be certainly adding some instant rice to my shopping list! :)

That's just plain cool. :worship:

Where'd you get the idea from?

You'llPutMeOutOfBuisnessPunkin

Awesome idea!!

just a question, about the injecting of the the LC (live culture)into the bag. Is the LC spores in a syringe (as you said inject) or is it a chunk of agar with culture on it?

sorry im a newbie and want to give this ago

about the injecting of the the LC (live culture)into the bag. Is the LC spores in a syringe (as you said inject) or is it a chunk of agar with culture on it?

With LC I mean liquid culture (suspended mycelium). Fiddling a chunk of agar through the lill hole might be a bit hard. But if you have your agar dish just pour some water over the myc, scrape and suck up with syringe => LC.

It also works (to a lesser overall % depending on the cleanliness of your sporeprint) with sporewater.

Edited by satyr

Damn that's so simple! Thanx for sharing!

I went looking in the local supermarket and found these I wonder how they will go as cakes :innocent_n:

Two cups in the pack cost $1.30 on special I think......

post-4489-0-38710500-1320842023.txt

Cheers

Got

Edited by GoOnThen

Yeah saw them GoOnThen. They don't have a clear window to monitor colonisation though. Same with the product Satyr has a pic of in the first post. The same product in the shop where I checked had no window. Might give them a go anyway.

Yeah saw them GoOnThen. They don't have a clear window to monitor colonisation though. Same with the product Satyr has a pic of in the first post. The same product in the shop where I checked had no window. Might give them a go anyway.

Those sachets/bags should be clear plastic @ bottom. But either way would not worry too much about it as total colonisation is best checked by squeezing the bag. Once colonised there is no movement of grains and its very dense/chunky.

Edited by satyr

post-8677-0-69343800-1321162050_thumb.jpI went and check out my local woolies and look what I found! it has a nice big window to see the colonisation :)

post-8677-0-69343800-1321162050_thumb.jpg

post-8677-0-69343800-1321162050_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paradoxical

wow what a fantastic idea....

really it looked like the mycyleum was really strong, you dont microwave first to steralize? or i assume it is sterilized food grade stuff??

no treatment of the rice needed-its sterile-...just inject. I even think moisture is no issue at all, had a colonised king-oyster pack in the fridge for 6 month (still with open venting hole) mycelium remained very lively.

Horribly unsterile conditions but only one bag got contaminated. The one that make is is growing nicely :) awesome idea but I'll have a PC for my next grow :P

WOW! I have just been using spent mushroom compost, throwing it into a sanger bag and chucking a few pieces of mycelium in, with no contams! Aswell as straight coco coir, I just pure hot tap water of the block to swell it in an esky then close the lid for an hour or so, then bag up and throw in some mycelium.

Does THIS actually work for you?? Which one works better? Can I say "fuck off" to bird seed??

Edited by delshanon