The Corroboree
Psylo

The Random Thread.

delospermum on the ground out of it's pot. pick it up, tamp it in, go to place it back the bench. "FUCK ME". three tawny frogmouths among my pots, acting like they're a branch or something but definitely noth edible.

earlier today, two red-triangle slugs as big as whales. each one was meatier than three or four of my fingers.

yesterday, walking around my house, pheasant coucal flies off inches from my head.

the wildlife is certainly out, after this bit of rain.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

November 27

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

November 27 is the 331st day of the year (332nd in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 34 days remaining until the end of the year.

Events

176 – Emperor Marcus Aurelius grants his son Commodus the rank of Imperator and makes him Supreme Commander of the Roman legions.

395 – Rufinus, praetorian prefect of the East, is murdered by Gothic mercenaries under Gainas.

1095 – Pope Urban II declares the First Crusade at the Council of Clermont.

1295 – The first elected representatives from Lancashire are called to Westminster by King Edward I to attend what later became known as "The Model Parliament".

1703 – The first Eddystone Lighthouse is destroyed in the Great Storm of 1703.

1727 – The foundation stone to the Jerusalem's Church in Berlin is laid.

1815 – Adoption of Constitution of the Kingdom of Poland.

1830 – St. Catherine Laboure experiences a vision of the Blessed Virgin standing on a globe, crushing a serpent with her feet, and emanating rays of light from her hands.

1839 – In Boston, Massachusetts, the American Statistical Association is founded.

1856 – The Coup of 1856 leads to Luxembourg's unilateral adoption of a new, reactionary constitution.

1863 – American Civil War: Confederate cavalry leader John Hunt Morgan and several of his men escape the Ohio Penitentiary and return safely to the South.

1863 – American Civil War: Battle of Mine Run – Union forces under General George Meade position against troops led by Confederate General Robert E. Lee.

1868 – Indian Wars: Battle of Washita River – United States Army Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer leads an attack on Cheyenne living on reservation land.

1886 – German judge Emil Hartwich sustains fatal injuries in a duel, which would become the background for "Effi Briest", a classic work of German literature.

1895 – At the Swedish-Norwegian Club in Paris, Alfred Nobel signs his last will and testament, setting aside his estate to establish the Nobel Prize after he dies.

1901 – The U.S. Army War College is established.

1912 – Spain declares a protectorate over the north shore of Morocco.

1924 – In New York City, the first Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is held.

1934 – Bank robber Baby Face Nelson dies in a shoot-out with the FBI.

1940 – In Romania, the ruling party Iron Guard arrests and executes over 60 of exiled King Carol II of Romania's aides, including former minister Nicolae Iorga.

1940 – World War II: At the Battle of Cape Spartivento, the Royal Navy engages the Regia Marina in the Mediterranean Sea.

1942 – World War II: At Toulon, the French navy scuttles its ships and submarines to keep them out of Nazi hands.

1944 – World War II: An explosion at a Royal Air Force ammunition dump at Fauld, Staffordshire kills seventy people.

1954 – Alger Hiss is released from prison after serving 44 months for perjury.

1963 – The Convention on the Unification of Certain Points of Substantive Law on Patents for Invention is signed at Strasbourg.

1963 – U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson makes his first address to Congress as president following the assassination of John F. Kennedy five days prior.

1964 – Cold War: Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru appeals to the United States and the Soviet Union to end nuclear testing and to start nuclear disarmament, stating that such an action would "save humanity from the ultimate disaster".

1965 – Vietnam War: The Pentagon tells U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson that if planned operations are to succeed, the number of American troops in Vietnam has to be increased from 120,000 to 400,000.

1971 – The Soviet space program's Mars 2 orbiter releases a descent module. It malfunctions and crashes, but it is the first man-made object to reach the surface of Mars.

1973 – The Twenty-fifth Amendment: The United States Senate votes 92 to 3 to confirm Gerald Ford as Vice President of the United States (on December 6, the House confirmed him 387 to 35).

1975 – The Provisional IRA assassinates Ross McWhirter, after a press conference in which McWhirter had announced a reward for the capture of those responsible for multiple bombings and shootings across England.

1978 – In San Francisco, California, city mayor George Moscone and openly gay city supervisor Harvey Milk are assassinated by former supervisor Dan White.

1978 – The Kurdish party PKK is founded in the city of Riha (Urfa) in Turkey.

1983 – Avianca Flight 011, a Boeing 747 crashes near Madrid's Barajas Airport, killing 181.

1984 – Under the Brussels Agreement signed between the governments of the United Kingdom and Spain, the former agreed to enter into discussions with Spain over Gibraltar, including sovereignty.

1989 – Avianca Flight 203, a Boeing 727, explodes in mid-air over Colombia, killing all 107 people on board and three people on the ground. The Medellín Cartel claimed responsibility for the attack.

1991 – The United Nations Security Council adopts Security Council Resolution 721, leading the way to the establishment of peacekeeping operations in Yugoslavia.

1992 – For the second time in a year, military forces try to overthrow president Carlos Andres Perez in Venezuela.

1997 – Twenty-five are killed in the second Souhane massacre in Algeria.

1999 – The left-wing Labour Party takes control of the New Zealand government with leader Helen Clark becoming the first elected female Prime Minister in New Zealand's history.

2001 – A hydrogen atmosphere is discovered on the extrasolar planet Osiris by the Hubble Space Telescope, the first atmosphere detected on an extrasolar planet.

2004 – Pope John Paul II returns the relics of Saint John Chrysostom to the Eastern Orthodox Church.

2005 – The first partial human face transplant is completed in Amiens, France.

2006 – The Canadian House of Commons endorses Prime Minister Stephen Harper's motion to declare Quebec a nation within a unified Canada.

ARGH! The loud bang of an electrical transform on the 'poles right outside my house is NOT what I needed to hear while quietly entertaining Lucy and getting into Shpongle.

Chill space is a little quiet at the moment, so i thought i would bump this 'Random Thread'.

So hows this for random....

Its hard rubbish time around here at the moment, you know.... where people put all their unwanted junk on the nature strip and the council collect it ( after everyone has picked out the treasures).....anyway..... the other day, someone had neatly arranged some of the hard rubbish on some of the round abouts. One round about was set up like a lounge room. It had a lounge suite, lamps, a rug, a TV cabinet complete with TV and stereo, a pot plant and a bean bag. The next round about was set up like an office with a desk and a monitor on it, a desk chair, a waste basket, a lamp, and a phone. These round abouts have no plants or barriers on them, so the furniture stood out. It was very very random, but i was amused by it all day :) .(the council were not amused though, as it was soon removed). Spewin' i didn't take photos.

whenever i watch tv now i feel i always have to turn the volume up in multiples of 3 or it makes me real uncomfortable

and sometimes when i shave i also go over my forehead because it's good exfoliation

I do that but with even numbers... my ex passed it on to me.

but then i will settle for 10...15...20

I find it annoying when there isn't much definition of what value your volume is on certain TV sets.

For Christmas my parents will be visiting with her 3 dogs making a total of 8 dogs in the house.... for a month...

and the majority have some queer anxiety issues... fun times ahead. Bah!

since 1945 the US military has been directly responsible for the deaths of over 10 million people and that America has in that time overthrown 50 governments, including democracies, and intervened in at least 30 more.

amazing - source http://tv.globalresearch.ca/2011/12/iraq-withdrawal-smokescreen-confronting-obamas-hypocrisy

Edited by tipz

(just for a little social relevance) i see things like that and i think, are some people in the west any less brainwashed by propaganda than someone in north korea? it's almost worse in the west, where people have ready access to information to show exactly what their governments are like, and yet still support such a global dictatorship?

• Like 4

Simo Häyhä

In temperatures between −40 and −20 degrees Celsius, dressed completely in white camouflage, Häyhä was credited with 505 confirmed kills of Soviet soldiers.[3][5] A daily account of the kills at Kollaa was conducted for the Finnish snipers. Besides his sniper kills, Häyhä was also credited with over 200 kills with a Suomi KP/-31 submachine gun.[5] Remarkably, all of Häyhä's kills were accomplished in fewer than 100 days at a time of year with very short hours of daylight.[6][7][8] Häyhä used a Finnish militia variant, White Guard M/28 "Pystykorva" or "Spitz", of the Russian Mosin-Nagant rifle, because it suited his small frame (5 ft 3 in/1.60 m). He preferred to use iron sights rather than telescopic sights to present a smaller target (the sniper must raise his head higher when using a telescopic sight), for more reliable visibility (a telescopic sight's glass can fog up easily in cold weather), and aid concealment (sunlight glare in telescopic sight lenses can reveal a sniper's position). Another tactic used by Häyhä was to compact the snow in front of him so that the shot would not disturb the snow and reveal his position.[citation needed] He also kept snow in his mouth, so that the vapor of his breath would not give him away ... On March 6, 1940, Häyhä was shot in the lower left jaw by a Russian soldier during combat. The bullet tumbled upon impact and exited his head. He was picked up by fellow soldiers who said "half his head was missing", but he was not dead: he regained consciousness on March 13, the day peace was declared.

simo-hayha.jpg

400px-Simo_Hayha-3.jpg

220px-Simo_hayha_second_lieutenant_1940.png

the things that this man's eyes have seen

Edited by bulls on parade
  • Like 2

^^^ Wow!

:bong: wake n bake in celebration of being in love for the first time :blush:

really?

a finnish WWII sniper? isn't he a bit old, and, you know, murderous? okay it was war but who kills 500 men, seriously?

• Haha 1

he was just a farmer/hunter that volunteered to defend his country against the invading red army, who happened to better than anyone else at what he did

i reckon what's interesting is what doing that would do to a person's soul, when i first came across him i was baked, i remember really staring at this photo for a long time, from a ceremony where he was given a new rifle from the government http://img.mtv3.fi/mn_kuvat/mtv3/ohjelmat/talvisota/talvisota_paiva_paivalta/884220.jpg look at the frown i don't think he's closing his eyes to blink, and being given the award, http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/563623-2/Simo+Hayha+receives+honorary+rifle just imagine what he'd be thinking at that moment

i donno.. different people find different things interesting i spose

i was just trying to have a joke with FP

it's very interesting indeed. i have an unexplainable interest in finnland, it seems like such a funny little country, it reminds me of australia in ways. australia has minerals, finnland has nokia.

finnlands military was laughably small!!!

most people could probably massacre 500 invaders if the circumstances were right. anyone who tries marching into a place like afghanistan or scandinavia and taking over the place is gonna cop hell from the locals.

Hah! Yeah took me long enough lol.

Does anyone wanna pretend to be an ex-landlord of mine and say how awesome I was? Paid rent on time all the time, looked after the house. I do that stuff in real life, but for some reason people tend to not like the idea of a house with male tenants only.

Edit: I just woke up

Edited by Yawning Man

I've come to the 1,270-year-old Kanda Shrine in Tokyo to purify and bless something very near and dear to me: my cell phone. I've had hellish luck with mobiles over the past year. I left one on a ride at Universal Studios Japan. Its successor suddenly—and mysteriously—died. The next one accompanied my pants into the washing machine, and its replacement went AWOL in less than a week. Divine intervention was needed, and pronto.

Japan's Shinto religion holds that nearly every object in the world, animate or inanimate, has a spiritual essence. Therefore, anything can be blessed, from a newborn child to an automobile. Priests at the Kanda Shrine, which overlooks Akihabara—Tokyo's mecca for consumer electronics—offer prayers for the well-being of gadgets.

http://www.wired.com/culture/culturereviews/magazine/17-07/st_gadgetshrine?currentPage=1

^^^ I was told I can use reiki energy on microwaved food, and just about anything really if I wanted to. Unwanted energy won't penetrate anyway so there's no harm in trying.

My friend and I got our second reiki attunement yesterday, my hands still won't stop itching, just like after the first one. Pretty cool! I used the pain relief symbol on my acheing hip and it kind of went warm-numb (best I can describe).

I went to a market today and bought a hemp handbag. B)

Edited by Amazonian

^ and for the first time in a while today, i met with a relative of that sacred connectional sacrament/handbag B)

life is good

Just checking out the bag...... Big tag says Margret River (Australia) hempco,,,, little tag inside the bag says ..... made in China :(

1. Using the word (God) openly

2. Eating an apple at Thy house

3. Making a feather while on Thy day

4. Denying that I made it.

5. Making a mousetrap on Thy day

6. Contriving of the chimes on Thy day

7. Squirting water on Thy day

8. Making pies on Sunday night

9. Swimming in a kimnel on Thy day

10. Putting a pin in John Keys hat on Thy day to pick him.

11. Carelessly hearing and committing many sermons.

12. Refusing to go to the close at my mothers command.

13. Threatning my father and mother Smith to burne them and the house over them

14. Wishing death and hoping it to some

15. Striking many

16. Having uncleane thoughts words and actions and dreamese.

17. Stealing cherry cobs from Eduard Storer

18. Denying that I did so

19. Denying a crossbow to my mother and grandmother though I knew of it

20. Setting my heart on money learning pleasure more than Thee

21. A relapse

22. A relapse

23. A breaking again of my covenant renued in the Lords Supper.

24. Punching my sister

25. Robbing my mothers box of plums and sugar

26. Calling Dorothy Rose a jade

27. Glutiny in my sickness.

28. Peevishness with my mother.

29. With my sister.

30. Falling out with the servants

31. Divers commissions of alle my duties

32. Idle discourse on Thy day and at other times

33. Not turning nearer to Thee for my affections

34. Not living according to my belief

35. Not loving Thee for Thy self.

36. Not loving Thee for Thy goodness to us

37. Not desiring Thy ordinances

38. Not long [longing] for Thee in [illegible]

39. Fearing man above Thee

40. Using unlawful means to bring us out of distresses

41. Caring for worldly things more than God

42. Not craving a blessing from God on our honest endeavors.

43. Missing chapel.

44. Beating Arthur Storer.

45. Peevishness at Master Clarks for a piece of bread and butter.

46. Striving to cheat with a brass halfe crowne.

47. Twisting a cord on Sunday morning

48. Reading the history of the Christian champions on Sunday

isaac newton's confessions (age 19)

• Like 1

Saturday

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saturday (i/ˈsætərdi/ or /ˈsætərdeɪ/) is the day of the week following Friday and preceding Sunday.

Saturday is the last (seventh) day of the week on many calendars and in conventions that consider the week as beginning on Sunday, or the sixth day of the week according to international standard ISO 8601 which was first published in 1988.

Saturday was named no later than the 2nd century for the planet Saturn, which controlled the first hour of that day according to Vettius Valens. Its Latin name dies Saturni ("Saturn's Day") entered into Old English as Saeternesdaeg.

Contents

1 Origins in antiquity

2 Name and associations in European cultures

3 Reception outside of Europe

4 Position in the week

5 Astrology

6 Activities

7 Saturday in popular culture

8 Named days

9 See also

10 References

Origins in antiquity

The weekday heptagram, i.e. the association of the days of the seven-day week with the seven classical planets, probably dates to the Hellenistic period.[1] Between the 1st and 3rd centuries, the Roman Empire gradually replaced the eight day Roman nundinal cycle with the seven-day week. The astrological order of the days was explained by Vettius Valens and Dio Cassius (and Chaucer gave the same explanation in his Treatise on the Astrolabe). According to these authors, it was a principle of astrology that the heavenly bodies presided, in succession, over the hours of the day. The association of the weekdays with the respective deities is thus indirect, the days are named for the planets, which were in turn named for the deities.

For both Jews and the Seventh-day Adventist, the seventh day of the week, known as Shabbat (or Sabbath for SDA), stretches from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday and is the day of rest. Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches distinguish between Saturday (Sabbath) and the Lord's Day (Sunday). Quakers traditionally refer to Saturday as "Seventh Day", eschewing the "pagan" origin of the name. In Islamic countries, Fridays are considered as the last day of the week and are holidays along with Thursdays; Saturday is called Sabt (cognate to Sabbath) and it is the first day of the week in many Arabic countries.

In the Eastern Orthodox Church Saturdays are days on which the Theotokos (Mother of God) and All Saints are commemorated, The day is also a general day of prayer for the dead, because it was on a Saturday that Jesus lay dead in the tomb. The Octoechos contains hymns on these themes, arranged in an eight-week cycle, that are chanted on Saturdays throughout the year. At the end of services on Saturday, the dismissal begins with the words: "May Christ our True God, through the intercessions of his most-pure Mother, of the holy, glorious and right victorious Martyrs, of our reverend and God-bearing Fathers…". For the Orthodox, Saturday—with the sole exception of Holy Saturday–is never a strict fast day. When a Saturday falls during one of the fasting seasons (Great Lent, Nativity Fast, Apostles' Fast, Dormition Fast) the fasting rules are always lessened to an extent. The Great Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross and the Beheading of St. John the Baptist are normally observed as strict fast days, but if they fall on a Saturday or Sunday, the fast is lessened.

Name and associations in European cultures

In Scandinavian countries, Saturday is called lördag, "lørdag," or laurdag, the name being derived from the old word laugr/laug (hence Icelandic name Laugardagur), meaning bath, thus Lördag equates to bath-day. This is due to the Viking practice of bathing on Saturdays.

Today, Saturday is officially called Samstag in all German-speaking countries, but there it has two names in modern Standard German. Samstag is always used in Austria, Liechtenstein, and the German speaking part of Switzerland, and generally used in southern and western Germany. It derives from Old High German sambaztac, which itself derives from Greek Σάββατο, and this Greek word derives from Hebrew שבת (Shabbat). However, the current German word for Sabbath is Sabbat. The second name for Saturday in German is Sonnabend, which derives from Old High German sunnunaband, and is closely related to the Old English word sunnanæfen. It means literally "Sun eve", i.e., "The day before Sunday". Sonnabend is generally used in northern and eastern Germany, and was also the official name for Saturday in East Germany. In the Westphalian dialects of Low Saxon, in East Frisian Low Saxon and in the Saterland Frisian language, Saturday is called Satertag, also akin to Dutch Zaterdag, which has the same linguistic roots as the English word Saturday. In West Frisian there are also two words for Saturday. In Wood Frisian it is saterdei and in Clay Frisian it is sneon, derived from snjoen, a combination of Old Frisian sunne, meaning sun and joen, meaning eve.

All Slavic languages derive their name for Saturday from the name for Sabbath: (Czech/Slovak/Polish/Slovene: sobota; Russian: суббота subbota, Serbian/Ukrainian субота subota).[citation needed] A similar numbering trend is also exhibited by the Baltic languages.

Similarly, the Romance languages follow the Greek usage, so that their word for "Saturday" is also a variation on "Sabbath": the Italian is sabato, the French is samedi, the Spanish and Portuguese is sábado and the Romanian is sâmbătă.

The Celtic languages also name this day for Saturn: Irish an Satharn or dia Sathuirn, Scottish Gaelic Disathairne, Welsh dydd Sadwrn, Breton Sadorn or disadorn.

Reception outside of Europe

The modern Maori name for it, Rahoroi, literally means "washing-day" - a vestige of early colonized life when Māori converts would set aside time on the Saturday to wash their whites for Church on Sunday. A common alternative Māori name for Saturday is the transliteration Hatarei. For other languages, see Days of the week Planetary table.

The Chinese-based Korean word for Saturday is 토요일 (To-Yo-Il [meaning: Earth - day]) from the Chinese character 土 meaning Earth, or Ground but more significantly makes reference to 토성 (To-Sung 土星) which means Saturn.

In India, Saturday is Shanivar, based on Shani, the Vedic god manifested in the planet Saturn. In the Thai solar calendar of Thailand, the day is named from the Pali word for Saturn, and the color associated with Saturday is purple.

Position in the week

The international standard ISO 8601 sets Saturday as the sixth day of the week. The three Abrahamic religions, via their original languages, regard Saturday as the seventh day of the week (Judaism via Hebrew, Christianity via Ecclesiastical Latin, and Islam via Arabic). As a result of the Julian calendar's international acceptance, many contemporary followers of the Abrahamic religions have associated Saturday with their "seventh day". As a result, many refused the ISO 8601 standards and continue to use Saturday as their "seventh day". This is concordant with the European Pagan tradition, which named the days of the week after the seven Classical planets (in order Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn), naming the first day of the week for the Sun, perceived as most important, and moving to those perceived as lesser.

Astrology

Saturday is associated with the planet Saturn and symbolized by that planet's symbol ♄.

Activities

Saturday is a weekend day in most countries (see Workweek).

In Nepal Saturday is last day of the week and is the only official weekly holiday.

Saturday is the official day of rest in Israel, on which all government offices and most businesses, including some public transportation, are closed.

Saturday is the usual day for elections in Australia and the only day in New Zealand on which elections can be held, and also the preferred election day in the U.S. state of Louisiana.

Saturday morning is a notable television time block aimed at children while airing generally animated cartoons.

It is common for clubs, bars and restaurants to be open later on Saturday night than on other nights. Thus "Saturday Night" has come to imply the party scene, and has lent its name to the films Saturday Night Fever, which showcased New York discotheques, Uptown Saturday Night, as well as many songs (see below).

Saturday night is also a popular time slot for comedy shows on television. The most famous of these is Saturday Night Live, a skit show that has aired on NBC nearly every week since 1975. Other notable examples include Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell. This practise lent its name to the film Mr. Saturday Night, starring Billy Crystal.

In folklore, Saturday was the preferred day to hunt vampires, because on that day they were restricted to their coffins. It was also believed in the Balkans that someone born on Saturday could see a vampire when it was otherwise invisible, and that such people were particularly apt to become vampire hunters.[2][3] Accordingly, in this context, people born on Saturday were specially designated as sabbatianoí in Greek[4] and sâbotnichavi in Bulgarian;[3] the term has been rendered in English as "Sabbatarians".[4]

The amount of criminal activities that take place on Saturday nights has led to the expression, "Saturday night special" a pejorative slang term used in the United States and Canada for any inexpensive handgun.

In Sweden, Saturday is usually the only day of the week when children are allowed to eat sweets, lördagsgodis. Lördag derives from lögardag; old word löga meaning to wash/clean. This tradition was introduced in the 1960s to limit dental caries, utilizing the results of the infamous Vipeholm experiments. See festivities in Sweden.

Saturday in popular culture

In the folk rhyme Monday's Child, "Saturday's child works hard for a living".

In another rhyme reciting the days of the week, Solomon Grundy 'Died on Saturday.'

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal is a single-panel webcomic by Zach Weiner.

The Saturday Evening Post

Saturday Night Live

Saturday (Fall Out Boy song) from the album Take This to Your Grave.

Saturday (Kids in Glass Houses song) from the album Smart Casual.

The Saturdays (female pop group).

The 1977 disco film Saturday Night Fever.

Named days

Lazarus Saturday is the day before Palm Sunday, and is part of the Holy Week.

Holy Saturday is the day before Easter.

Black Saturday is a day named after the beginning of a tragic bushfire in Victoria, Australia.

^ "It was with the adoption and widespread use of the seven-day week throughout the Hellenistic world of mixed cultures that this heptagram was created." Symbol 29:16

^ McClelland, Bruce A. (2006). Slayers and Their Vampires: A Cultural History of Killing the Dead. University of Michigan. pp. 62–79. ISBN 9780472069231.

^ a b Димитрова, Иваничка (1983). "Българска народна митология" (in Bulgarian).

^ a b Abbott, George F. (1903). Macedonian Folklore. pp. 221–222. In Summers, Montague (2008) [1929]. The Vampire: His Kith and Kin. Forgotten Books. p. 36.

best chocolate ever

590546b.jpg

hell yes.Load the GVG, pop the kettle on, and snap me off a row or two, I'm on my way.

Edited by Psylo Dread