The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bogfrog

t. peruvianus crest on ebay australia

From it's outrageously expensive beginnings, that clone has become both common and cheap in a remarkably short amount of time.

Exactly, Tripsis. Breeders are mass producing clones like this and the prices will drop soon. This particular clone is new to me but im sure it will be relatively common in a year or two. Ebay germany is full of em and we have new ones every week or two.

Yeah, this one is from Hamilton's, probably Australia's largest commercial cactus nursery. They clearly propagated it extensively before releasing rooted cuttings one or two at a time to the public, to maximise their profits. Now this clone is worth only a fraction of the price is once was.

Dammit shhhh I was watching and waiting for that one... :P

Yeah me too :(

Now it's up to 22 lol.

It's still got 3 days, people should only make their first bid 10 seconds before it ends :)

Or an auction sniper, they're always handy!

There will be another one put up instantly after this one sells. They definately have no shortage of them. I got one a few weeks ago for $30.

Maybe you should try emailing the seller and seeing if you can do a deal bypassing ebay. You might get a bargain :wink: .

good advice tipz (see what I did there?)

yeah I got one of these too, a while back, I think there's plenty to come.

whoops, sorry i wont do that again guys

i was trying to be helpful.. but i guess it didnt work :(

I managed to score this one:

$(KGrHqV,!jEE6fy1WCF0BOo94Knnrw~~60_12.JPG

I'll post an actual image when it arrives. Keen to know if it was somebody here that scored the other one? :drool2:

Edit: The pictured cactus is Trichocereus cv. Akira monstrose and crested.

Edited by ErraneousHerbalist

It's a cereus not a trichocereus :( still a nice cacti tho. He would know it's a cereus too :( someone should let ebay know he is being so disonest

• Like 1

(EDIT) Thought we were talking about the trichocereus 'akira' crest as i only looked at the photo posted above, not the thread title. Sorry :)

Edited by tipz

It's a cereus not a trichocereus :( still a nice cacti tho. He would know it's a cereus too :( someone should let ebay know he is being so disonest

Are you sure? He has been selling them for years on Ebay.

This is a new crested form of Trichocereus peruvianus (not to be confused with the crested and monstrose forms of Cereus peruvianus, which have been around for a long time).

Yeah i was talking about the akira that erraneousherbalist is talking about a couple of post above i could be wrong but I've seen it for sale as a cereus Peru and it looks just like one I've grown from seed

Yeah i was talking about the akira that erraneousherbalist is talking about a couple of post above i could be wrong but I've seen it for sale as a cereus Peru and it looks just like one I've grown from seed

Cool. Thanks mate.

Wah? Really? That's a bummer. I'll get some pics up when it arrives and you can take a stab at ID'ing it... I'm not sure any more :wacko:

The ebay listing says one parent is T grandiflorus & the other parent is unknown. I dont know of any tricho that produces wool, so I'm hypothesizing a T grandiflorus was crossed with a plant with wool producing aeroles.

Nice plant whatever it is, price seems right as well.

So I and everyone else who has purchased the infamous trichocereus 'akira', are being knowingly decieved by this particular ebay seller ? :BANGHEAD2: Really ?

I bought one last week.

I asked the seller and sent them the link. This is my reply:

Hi there, my ID is based on info I received when I first obtained this plant over 8 years ago. I have seen the link you refer to but it's relatively new and doesn't offer any concrete info about their ID ("Cereus sp." is extremely vague) and so I've never taken that info as likely to be better than that I already had, which was more detailed. Due to the highly mutated nature of this plant it's impossible to be 100% about the ID - it does not flower and DNA analysis would be prohibitively expensive. The very few, rare "normal" offsets it can have remain in the juvenile form and never mature, making botanical ID difficult. It is said to have come from seed from a Trich. grandiflorus, with pollen parent unknown. It is likely to be an intergeneric hybrid, as such hybrids are more likely to produce highly mutated plants such as this one. Some years after I obtained my original plant, it was propagated for a time en masse by Thai nurseries and distributed as a Trichocereus but with the cv. name gone (Thai nurseries often don't pass the names on very well), so some people who then distributed the plant called it "Trich. Thai Crested" for a time. The info I had when I got my plant originally was the most detailed and sensible (with references to the seed parent etc.) so I've stayed with this for this plant, as I've never come across anything more credible. Hope this helps! Cheers

The conniving charlatan !

He is definately pulling a swifty :wave-finger::uzi:

Hi there, I have based my ID of this plant on info I received about 8 years ago when I first received this plant. I was told that it arose in a seedling from a batch of seed from a a T. grandiflorus, with the pollen parent unknown. It was thought to be a hybrid, probably an intergeneric, (so could have been T. grandiflorus x a Cereus, for example). This seemed likely as intergeneric hybrids are often the source of highly mutated plants such as this which is both crested and monstrose. I have not until now heard of any other very good info on its ID, though I'm happy to update any information for a better ID. I am not out to mislead anyone - if you are not happy with your purchase I will refund it and will cease to sell this plant. I am a member of the CSSNSW, am a plant enthusiast and do appreciate correct IDs - but there's not always accurate information available when it comes to unusual cultivars, especially as no official cultivar register exists for cacti and succulents (probably should be, it would be so helpful to record the proper history of these plants so confusion doesn't occur!). Out of curiosity - why are people so keen on Trichocereus but not so keen about Cereus? I hope this helps, if the information I have is wrong (I felt it was credible because it was the most detailed information I found about this plant over the years I've had it) then I too was misled many years ago. Cheers, Jess.

Here is the response i recieved.

Pleadng ignorance to the popularity of trichocereus is laughable considering his level of knowledge and involvement in the cactus retail industry. He is most definately ripping us off me thinks :uzi:

Hi Herbalist, there is no doubt about the ID of this plant. In my eyes, its nothing but a monstrose version of a cereus. People sometimes sell it as Trichocereus Santiaguensis Cristate but the truth is, its a cereus cristate. Cereus cristate is a lot less worth than a Trichocereus so its pretty obvious why people sell em as Trichos. If i´d buy some of them labeled as Trichocereus i´d think about leaving a neutral ebay statement, dependig on the experience of the seller. If its someone who sells like thousand cacti a year, i have no doubts he knows what plant this is. Its actually impossible not to know it if you grow cacti for some time. Its very common. There are no Trichocereus that have wool or this kind of spination. I never saw a hybrid of Cereus and Trichocereus and up to now, i didnt even believe that this is possible. Still dont believe it but i will make a test when my cereus are flowering in a few years. It could have always been an accidential pollination from a flowering cereus nearby. You know, i dont like people who sell plants under a diffrent name to higher their benefit. I dont know the guys from the cactus art website but they obviously know their shit. Sure, they are in it for the money but i dont see a problem with that as long as they offer such an interesting cactus database.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1