The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bogfrog

t. peruvianus crest on ebay australia

here is my conversation with him over this plant.

Gryphon. I would like some verification of the true identity of this crest. I am a member of the cactus society. This crest has been taken down to the state herbarium and recognised as a crested monstrose cereus peruvianus. As pictured in this link : http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/CEREUS/Cereus_sp/Cereus_sp_cristata/Cereus_sp_cristata.htm

An aereole graft has also been undertaken andwe shall see results of this soon.

There are many people who are dubious about your sales tactics on this particular plant, and many i have spoken to, since affirmation of the true nature of this spp, definately feel ripped off.

His response was the one given in my previous post,

My reply :

From what your telling me jess, It is nothing more than heresay that the mother was a trichocereus. You were "told" it came from a trich, therefore you should not claim what you do in your advertisements for the plant. Really it is from completely unknown heritage !.If someone gave me a cricket bat and told me it was signed by Donald Bradman and i advertised it as such and sold it for a lot of money, and it was found to be false,one could be done for false advertising e.tc e.t.c, You are well versed in cacti and I am sure you are fully aware of why trichocereus(now echinopsis) are much more sought after than other species. And all bullshit aside it seems to me you are taking advantage of this demand by misrepresenting a product. A good friend of mine is a botanist student, who said he is happy to profle this plants genetcs at Adelaide uni. I would put money on it being a straight cereus spp and I believe, and many others believe we have been misled on this one Jess. And i think you know where you stand from a legal viewpoint here.... you are not a silly person, obviously.

And this was his reply :

Hi there, I am sorry is how you feel. I have refunded the total, even including the postage. As I said before, I will cease to sell this plant. I don't know what else I can do. If you must know, this issue has been very stressful and has had me in tears (and still). I am sorry. I don't know what else I can do

Edited by tipz

Yeah, you know its not worth it to argue over something like this because its actually impossible to prove or say for sure if its intentional. Some people buy a plant under that label from someone else because they´ve been ripped off themselves. In that particular case, i think i wouldnt give him a bad rating. Dont make the old man cry, Tipz. Bad Bad Tipz! :P

Those are the experiences you make when buying cacti. You get used to it and the more experienced you get, the better you get at seeing through marketing claims. I recently had a similar case when someone wanted to sell a diffrent cereus monstrose as a trichocereus to me. But in the end, the trade turned out very good as the guy gave me some awesome tricho crests for almost nothing. So, sometimes you buy stuff that you know is bs but brings you to other much more valuable plants. Courtesy Buy, isnt that the word for it? Also i bought a giant cereus monstrose once because i suspected it to be a Trichocereus thelegonus Monstrose. The pic was too bad to say for sure so i bought it and ended up with a 1 x 1 meter big cereus monstrose. But its a nice one and it was cheap. Like 20 bucks or so.

Edited by Evil Genius

I just got the price of my crest, no postage, refunded just then. I never asked for a refund. I just sent them the link and asked if it was a Trichocereus.

Sounds like you must have worried them Tipz.

I know EG... but IT IS OBVIOUS she is fully aware of the fact that it cannot be proven, and is therefore taking advantage of a situation.

It's out of character for me to crucify someone like this and i do feel kind of bad. 'She' did fully refund my 42 dollars though(postage too). She would not have done so quite so readily or quickly if she thought she had a leg to stand on mind you.

But the facts are that she 'was' making fraudulant claims and if people like this dont get a kickup the ass every know and then it becomes more prevalent.

Im really a nice guy Eg :P , I promise

You're a harsh man tipz. :) Fair enough though, if you feel ripped off, you have every right to make her squirm. It does seem unlikely that she would be ignorant about it not being a Tricho. It also seem likely she's cashing in on the popularity of Trichocereus spp.

Now my questions are, have you really taken it to the state herbarium and do you actually have a friend who is willing to DNA sequence it?

No :blush::innocent_n::rolleyes:

You got me tripsis. No i dont :wink: . I dont know what came over me, lol.

I just knew she was being deliberately deceptive, so i suppose i thought that justified my own slippery tactics. Im generally very honest and very loyal... I think it is a scorpio trait if you believe that stuff. Do me a favour ill do you ten, but take me for a fool or do me wrong and well.... :devil: My evil side comes out :wink:

If its a girl, its even worse. :lol:

Just kidding Tipz. I know your a good guy and i definately share your thoughts about this. You know, if people sell plants on ebay, they gotta expect unhappy customers. If someone starts crying over something like this, they shouldnt even think about putting something on ebay. I had experiences on ebay that would have killed her then, i think.

Neutral Rating is the best way to deal with this. Its not as bad as a negative one but it shows its not right. Keep in mind some have been ripped off themselves. But like i said, i understand your feeling. Would have done the same when i was younger. Meanwhile, i dont buy cereus by accident anymore. :rolleyes: usually...

Edited by Evil Genius

Meanwhile, i usully dont accidentially buy cereus anymore. :rolleyes:

:lol::blush:

Bah humbug, Tipz.. man you've got thick skin. Thanks to all who've helped to correctly ID this cactus. Either way, it's a pretty awesome cactus to add to my budding collection. :devil:

I just want to add that after centipede posted the link & I saw the different forms of the plant on the cactus-art site, I realized I have the very same crested monstrose plant in a variegated form. It was sold as a T.peruvianus "Blond Moment" with a Japanese cultivar name, which was obviously more marketing hype. At least now I know what the hell it really is.

Oh shit look what I've started lol

I though every one knew that was a cereus should have said something earlier. It's been sold by her like that for years i just thought nobody was falling for it. Ow well it's a nice cacti and even nicer for free :) wish id bought one