The Corroboree
bogfrog

any classical enthusiasts?

i took this thread to be western classical art music. hindustani classical is another thread altogether, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rG3Rpv78DA

YEAH. we're talking about CLASSICAL MUSIC, like mozart, mendelssohn, and motorhead.

btw that clip is fucking epic qualia.

i took this thread to be western classical art music. hindustani classical is another thread altogether, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rG3Rpv78DA

Zakir Hussein played in Sydney last night. My brother (who lurks around this here forum sometimes) saw it and he's still shaking with emotion.

Eastern and Middle Eastern music - yeah!

Fugues for organ - yeah!

And opera... Well, when I saw Pretty Woman the first time I didn't quite understand opera the way Richard Gere's character pontificated about it. Ironically, it clicked for me in

of the scene from Gaetano Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor: "Il dolce suono" in that bizarre movie, The Fifth Element.

Then it made sense.

On that subject, if anyone here knows where the music to "Diva Dance", the trance part at the end of Plavalaguna's performance, originally comes from I'd be most interested. I've heard it played on ABC Classic without the trancey music score from the movie, but I don't know if it's from another scene in Lucia di Lammermoor. And as much as I enjoyed the "Il dolce suono" scene, I've not yet listened to the whole opera to find out if the "Diva Dance" is also from Donizetti's opera. As a functional musical illiterate I have a nagging feeling that it has a riff that resembles something from Mozart, but I can't put my finger on it just at the moment.

Forgot to mention in passing

of "Il dolce suono". Very commercial, and a bit camp, but the guy does know how to range across the octaves.

I'd like two violinists just like his...

I like debussy and classic piano music if its good but thats pretty much it. Like classically influenced rock and hip hop music though. French rap sounds very classical. Akhenathon, Iam, booba use old master pieces and put modern elements in. Awesome!

Edited by Evil Genius

please no one limit what you would like to share within the typical classical genre, as i am open to anything and actually really like the broad spectrum of what people have been mentioning.

as much as the standard classical archetypes are magestic in their own right i am more into the the music which is difficult to define into a particular genre.

and i'm a she!

thanks for reminding me of john williams, my mum used to go on about him all the time,

still not a huge fan of bach, i like this scarlatti stuff much better

^^^ Different John Williams from the film composer, but also awesome. I pull out some John Williams (guitarist) if I really need to chill out.

Another thing I do dig a lot is Jazz interpretations of classical music. Our own Joe Chindamo recently released an album of Chopin interpretations that are amazing. Milt Jackson's Modern Jazz Quartet did an album of Bach interpretations and baroque inspired originals. Jacques Loussier is probably the most well known artist who has done this sort of thing. Um... here's a vid.

...and one more (audio only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7_fCWCixDk&feature=related

Edited by Rabaelthazar