The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bogfrog

Praise be to dump shops!

I would just like to take a moment to celebrate dump shops!

i just scored a mountain of awesome old photography books, books about the Amazon rainforest, psychology text books and books about supernatural phenomena, all for $5!

Check out your local dump shop and i'm sure you too will find some very nicely priced gems

the satisfaction... I'm familiar with it! :drool2:

ive been hitting the dump shop regularly picking up big screen tvs for $5 each and extracting the glass to use for kiln moulding projects.a big screen tv has up to 7kg of cast glass,and considering glass from a supplier costs $30 a kg, each $5 tv is worth $200+ to me :)

and with tv going digital this year theres going to be no shortage of old tvs around for the plundering

Where might I locate such a shop? They look like they'd be full of interesting and cheap knick nacks that I'd love...

I would just like to take a moment to celebrate dump shops!

i just scored a mountain of awesome old photography books, books about the Amazon rainforest, psychology text books and books about supernatural phenomena, all for $5!

Check out your local dump shop and i'm sure you too will find some very nicely priced gems

Nice! Haven't been to that one in a while.

Not to mention, your significant other picking up that mint shade house for like 2 bux or something a couple months back.

i have been frequenting one here in perth, im more of a collector so in reality im there for hidden gems but i cant resist getting stuff which is just too good to resist even though i may not exactly need them yet. have not got to the books yet but there tonnes to go thru. last week for a total of $15 i bought a full set of titliest pro forged irons, $5 a proper inflatable boat (army type not kmart type), $2 as new pair of leather iranian gloves, $2 20kg dumbell with weights, memorabilia from golds gym (arnolds famous training place), the furniture there is amazing and stored in sheds, $5 a genuine sydney australian leather purse in mint condition, i bought a grandfather clock fully operational for $20, some other stuff i dont want to mention because i collect it and dont want other scouts knowing.

some things i saw i didnt buy were a double dragon working arcade game $50, a fridge size bank vault size safe with keys for $75 (considering the pieces of crap people buy for hundreds of dollars from bunnings how could you go wrong), there was a 1908 upright piano weathered but the sound was sensational for $100 i just got the feeling it was an anique of the best regard but couldnt check, there was those cactus called opuntias and other types, lots of garden pots and stuff that can help.............but you really gotta know what your looking for and have a good rapport with the workers because they get alot of those city style dickheads come along who are ebay junk sellers and the worst thing you can do is haggle for a few dollars of stuff at a dump, thats disrespectful and they have seen a 1000 of that type of person before.

i was actually going to do a thread on the salvos and sammys etc, i have been a visitor over the years and once again its more looking for hidden gems so i can keep them for life, i love those telly shows like the antique anthology dudes i really do and to the right person to the right place i might sell one day and i have, but this new current flock of try hard morons who are saturating the market just ruin it for everybody, they have no ethics and are the type that steal in the middle of the night from outside of salvo's etc. now as a result the salvos have become this big marketable entity and now advertise and have marked up goods to absolutely ridiculous prices, as a matter of fact i saw a cheap clock selling for more at the salvos then it was brand new at the $2 shop next door, the last 2 years has seen their prices inflate at least 300%....i wonder what the salvos CEO gets paid?? i know apparently the money goes to charity but the unethical part i find of salvos and the majors is that before stuff gets to the shop floors, it goes through the truckies (who stop off at home to shed the good stuff along the way), it goes to the sorting areas where the staff are able to buy for below cost (cost yet to be determined) the goods, the managers have a look to and then finally the staff, all before it gets out to the public for buying. your talking about 3 or 4 steps of legalised theft here before you the buyer gets to buy a $2 shop clock at over its new price. i think this is highly unethical as i dont believe the people who give stuff for free to the salvos want to line the salvos pockets, it should be about helping the very people who need it most, the poor and underprivelaged but then once again if that happened these ebay morons who are generally well off anyway would just come and trade the good stuff. its a rort, first things first..........if you work for the salvos there is no way you should be allowed to staff purchase anything, anyway i think the whole charity and op shop code has gone to hell and considering the government has just put alot of money to prop up these industries i think there is alot of code of conduct and fraud going on within this industry, which ius why i boycott those stores now and go directly to the dump.

The St Vincent De Paul shops are part of the Catholic Church and I won't shop their for personal reasons. They are also very overpriced. Only a few months ago I bought a white melamine cupboard at the Salvos for $30 and Vinneies wanted $70 for the exact same cupboard but in worse condition.

Recently saw a humidifier for $10. Should have bought it but I don't really need 2!!

I have never seen prices as low as you are talking bogfrog. Maybe thats just Sydney........

Edited by OPP

3-5 days a week, you'll find me in the queue in front of my local Vinnies, ready for the 9am opening... And yes, there is a queue!

• Like 1

Where might I locate such a shop? They look like they'd be full of interesting and cheap knick nacks that I'd love...

at most rubbish dumps they will have a nick nack shop of stuff thats too good to chuck out, have a look in your phone book

• Like 1

Had to buy a suit two month ago,stuffed if I was paying $400 for even the cheapest retail one, some polyester off the rack thing. So I hit the Vinnies, and ended up with an australian made wool blend suit in perfect condition, fits quite well (amazing, cos Im a long limbed bastard) and it costs me the grand sum of $25. Internal corruption aside, I am going to shop there for other clothes in future.

Cheers,

Hobo Psylo

hey san p, does this mean that it was you who made those chillums you had a while back?

awesome stuff, if you could do a glassblowing apprenticeship i'm pretty sure that there is guaranteed nonstop work here in nz as soon as you know how to do it.

there's a pretty high demand for beautiful smoking utensils!

good thinking mr opportunist with the tvs, i'm sure you will have them coming out your ears in no time :)

3-5 days a week, you'll find me in the queue in front of my local Vinnies, ready for the 9am opening... And yes, there is a queue!

now thats what you called devoted!

hey san p, does this mean that it was you who made those chillums you had a while back?

awesome stuff, if you could do a glassblowing apprenticeship i'm pretty sure that there is guaranteed nonstop work here in nz as soon as you know how to do it.

there's a pretty high demand for beautiful smoking utensils!

Sadly that seems to be all the demand that there is for glass blown goods here and it is quite hard to make a living from it.

That's the impression I have gotten by a few people who have gone to the glass blowing school up Norf and from someone who taught there.

Apparently you can get kicked out for making pipes.

fuck that "its my tobacco pipe!"

hey bogfrog,na all the glass ive had in the past was just stuff i imported.

the tv glass is just for casting sculptures etc in the kiln,iim working on a peyote paper weight at the moment :)

but ive recently bought all the flameworking gear and getting into making my own stuff now.a friend of mine is a trained glass artist with a fully functioning glass studio and hes teaching me how to do flamework.gonna focus on tobacco pipes & beadmaking.

hey centepede,the glass school in whanganui doesnt actually teach flame work,its all furnace work etc and yeah i think flamework and pipemaking is almost beneath alot of glass artists but thats what im most keen on :)

hey centepede,the glass school in whanganui doesnt actually teach flame work,its all furnace work etc and yeah i think flamework and pipemaking is almost beneath alot of glass artists but thats what im most keen on :)

That's the one I was talking bout, with the big furnace. Can you not make pipes and billys with a furnace?

Bugger I was hoping some of those cool little pipes were your own creations. Hope you post pics here of some of your creations bro

yes please do i would be really keen to see any of your creations too.

peyote paper weight sounds excellent!

went yesterday and i must take pics, have no idea what they are but there are cactus and succulents aplenty, they look more normal than ethno related if that makes sense but my guess would be $5-$10 for some 30-45cm clay pots with few kg specimans. im quite happy nurturing what i have for the time being so im not that interested but ill try take some pics to be ID'd and see if their worth it.

i love it so much, wish i had of discovered picking and junking earlier, today i hit the council collections and a brand new hose and reel, house painting set with rollers and so on. a 4 litre of roundup still intact and recent. i spent 10mins on it today.

yesterday i salvaged a english 1920's thermom/barometer, a couple of collectable porcelain port containers with the corks, a mini mini mini weber style bbq (so cute its not funny), a 80's train toy set for kids with rails etc fully intact, some crazy sports stuff like a cricket bat SS, a burley league leather football, a very very weird set of tarot cards with book and all cards, some other collectables. all for $25.

im addicted to the smell of the place now, for me that light tip smell so distinct and stanky sweet is the smell of opportunity.

yesterday i salvaged a english 1920's thermom/barometer

Can we have a look at that ?

yeh bud certainly will, when i take my friend this week to snapshot the cactus for id ill use his camera to snap the barometer, it was the junkmaster who said it was 20's maybe 30's, its in great condition so i personally thought 60's but she was adament it was earlier, its from england one can imagine the wear factor is a bit like a clock (thats one of my fav collectables but there are so many horologists around its not funny, just try bid for clocks on the bay and you will see what i mean) not much wear as it hangs like a painting (the barometer not clocks : )............its quite quant as cos its made in england there are no hot days apon it, all showers clearing and cool if you get my gist but the make is SB.

i dont think it would auction more than 40-60 but i kinda have given up on that as i think the real value is having a house full of great stuff, but as you prolly know psylo cos i get the feeling you have collecting in your blood that there is a devout barometer collectors who have to have this stuff constantly but the way i see it these are worth SO much more as a long term investment (old collectables) as they simply are losing quantity and fast, which can only mean up for supply and demand. one only has to look at 70's furniture of a average quality to realise that this stuff was deemed rubbish a decade ago and now it still gets looked over but the people that look over 70's quality goods in order to buy chipboard modern crap from harvey norman are the real fools. but as i said the resale value has no pull at all for me, im looking to hoard the good stuff so to speak and then somehow release an item or two and so on in 30 years or at least have some cool stuff for my descendants when i die. i get totally attached to my antiques i could not possibly think of selling................so yeh dont waste a minute whoever has a collectable bone in their body, the time is now as there is a hugely decent amount of quality stuff out there that in a purely financial way will be worth 1000 times todays value in a few decades.

My mother used to do admin type stuff out at the local tip. You know how there's those little perks behind every job? Well with hers she could have anything from the tip shop for 0 cost.

Next time i head home for a visit i'll take a few photos of our shed for you guys. I know a lot of you will love it. The car can't fit in and there's litterally stuff hanging from the ceiling.

Heck half of our plates and bowls are from the tip shop. The real good stuff gets snatched up before 'the public' even gets a chance. ;)

Last time I was at my local 2nd hand shop, I picked up an antique metal ice cream scoop, that retails for around $30 on ebay.

Screw that though, I care not for collectables or re-selling things given to charities (I find that personally morally feral) but I have to say

BEST ICE CREAM SCOOP EVER!! :drool2:

the moral feral part is curios i totally get that as there is something really lurid about the whole process, its akin to cannibalism i would say in that it appeals to a more basic instinct of reducing your morals down to scab duty, which probably has alot to do with scab duty repressed feelings from school, do they still have scab duty or is that deemed to harshe for the education dept these days.

but then on the flip side that kinda thinking obviously signifies superiority, which is not wrong but certainly not applicable to society as a whole as superiority can be often defined within mental illness or ego confusion, or perhaps germaphobia but could be as simple as you have never needed to buy bread and milk when in time of desperate hunger.

the reason why these shops and tips are in operation are to ironically provide a moral service to the poor and destitute so they may recieve charity, they may resell or burn the stuff for firewood if so needed, i complained about the rich classes re-classifying second hand for misclassed profit earlier but if so be it, they have the desire and hunger then they deserve to buy and sell as much as the street person.

its a bad way to think along moral guidlines. i know because the smell of a salvos used stink i thought, then amazingly your mind lets go of inhibitions, actually come to think of it it was around the time i started music and earlier mentioned differing brain pathways evolving. now the so called lower parts of society are my salvation, as robinson crusoe's father says............the 3 classes, rich, middle, poor.............the absolute pinnacle of life is to be the richest of the poor category. easiest on body, spirit and mind......and your rich in all ways. Read the book, it explains it well.

meh. Thats what happens when one doesn't edit oneself before typing on forum. Someone's gonna *correct* you or lecture you on your opinions.

the 3 classes, rich, middle, poor.............the absolute pinnacle of life is to be the richest of the poor category. easiest on body, spirit and mind......and your rich in all ways. Read the book, it explains it well

bah, I'm already poor and don't plan on attempting to make any money anytime soon anyway, I care not for your book, oh lecturer of anti-morality !!! :P

Anyway

There's a really really really cheap little op shop or two I know that has alot of crap but often a few little gems tucked away.

Pm me for addresses if you're an Adelaide dump shop junkie whore like myself :wink: