The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Leccinum scabrum

No one? Apparently been found in Melbourne and Tassie and its supposed to be the best tasting edible in Australia (ignoring the newly collected porcini in Adelaide). Ive never looked under birch trees before but next season ill go their first...

I'd be happy if there were birch trees in Sydney, let alone edible boletes under them.

Man, do I love birch trees. The king of trees, for sure (junipers being the queen).

Good luck on your hunt,Zen.

• Like 1

I hear rumors some are found in eastern victoria, but i know no more than that.

I have spotted this one in the suburbs of Melbourne. There is a birch in a friend's backyard that has leccinum scabrum growing under it, which he harvests and devours everytime he spots them. I have no knowledge of mycorrhizal biology, but would taking spores, mixing with spring water and sprinkling under birch trees be likely to help spread this species, or whould I be wasting my time?

simulacrum: I don't think that's a waste of time at all. Pick a fruit, vigourously tap it, sponge side down, over your water 'bowl', then take that sporey water and spray it around other birches...it's a fine idea.

Another one is to hope your mates birch sprouts a few seedlings around it, dig those up and transplant them, you should have success there too.

As for sourcing some, maybe contact Chris at http://autumnharvest.com.au/produce/

• Like 1

Ive found a huge stand of birch up in the hills so I assume there will be one or two somewhere below them. Surprisingly quiet up around the hills - a few saffrons about but thats about it so far.

Hey BlueGreenie, I found a couple of these about a month ago and im pretty sure it'll be the same place youre talking of. Theres often an old couple picking there so I think they probably get most of them.

They're not uncommon around Hobart, especially the higher suburbs. Some are out right now.

MMMMM.

and i now suspect i have a stack of these growing around the briches in my back yard.

and there i was getting annoyed with them not being ceps.

i just need to go id one to make sure. bluegreenie or Tas75, any other you know they could get confused with?

Cheers, Ob.

If they are a bolete growing under a birch tree, tan on top with brown pores and a (relatively) fat, reticulate-textured foot, there's not much more they could be. IMO they're not as tasty as ceps, and they get spongy when they grow. I prefer them young and tight... ;)

BTW expect them to turn black on cooking, that's normal.

ive found a few under birch that were more of the pepper bolete so far. I found another stand of these trees out past Monbulk so ill keep an eye peeled.

Knocked off early from work and headed out to the first spot. I dont know if it was the same spot as Shroomup was talking about but it has a massive pine stand right near it and there wasnt any grass left around any of the 40+ birches - because it had all been bloody trampled by people! And then a carload of people arrive which in a monday arvo I would assume is pretty weird and start obviously looking for shrooms!

I headed off into the pines which were littered under with saffrons, yet these oldies were purely looking under the Birch trees then got in their car and left.

So off i went to another, larger stand of birch that is about a 2km walk from any road which I hoped made it less well known.

First thing I learned - birch leaves are very orangey/brown and pretty good at making it hard to spot anything below them.

Second thing I learned was that there are a lot of different and odd mushrooms species that grow under them

Finally found two old specimens. Ive ot photos on my phone that Ill try and post tonight. Not a particularly attractive mushroom to be honest. The stem has these weird black scales on the stipe and its pores kinda hang below the cap in an unattractive way. the caps were very dark brown - different to what i was expecting. But im pretty confident on the ID.

Ill go up next rains and grab a few and give them a taste.

Now im off to try and find those reputed chanterelles...

As for thos Autumn harvest bloke - they are making a fortune. I occasionally supply a local restuarant with 8 saffrons for free coffee and he was telling me that another bloke wanted some outrageous price for them. i bet they are all picked them on crown land too...

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

Livin' the dream, Zen.

Crown land or state forest, no doubt.

I recently sold a few kilos at the market, got a reasonable price for them. It's a lot of hours work for the price per kilo though. Not what I'd call that profitable once you pay yourself an hourly rate.

I found Australian chanterelles too.

Yeah bluemeanie, thats definitely the same place i'm talking about. Those bloody oldies have completely flattened the whole area ay. Not much chance of a good haul from there with them picking it clean so often. the few I found there also had the dark brown caps

Here are some of the tiny little aussie chanterelles, Cantherellus concinnus:

Very very tiny, but growing on natives

photo.jpg

• Like 2

Emerald? And I would congratulate if i wasnt so jealous... You should have posted this shit man!

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

Yeah it is mate. Theres lots of stands of different trees there

Here are some of the tiny little aussie chanterelles, Cantherellus concinnus:

Very very tiny, but growing on natives

Damn! Awesome find.

Hope you are endeavouring to culture these.

How do they taste?

Cheers, Ob.

Here are some of the tiny little aussie chanterelles, Cantherellus concinnus: Very very tiny, but growing on natives photo.jpg

Holy shit! What a find. How were they?