The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
El Presidente Hillbillios

What would be a good book for bush foods

i just ordered "Wild Food Plants: Field Guide by Tim Lowe", i read before that was a bit of a staple. there's a medicine plants version as well, it's being reprinted come november i think

http://bushtuckershop.com/

Edited by qualia

Depends on what kind of climate you're talking about I suppose.

I've got 'Bush Tucker' by Tim Low. It's a 233 page book covering wild edibles across different parts of Australia. While I wouldn't use it as a field guide, it's definitely an interesting read.

Not too sure of a book on native medicines though.

Edit: looks like qualia beat me to it. If you're going to pick one of the two, I'd probably go with the field guide.

Edited by Argyreia

Yeah, I've had that wild food plants field guide by tim lowe for years and I take it everywhere I go. it really has helped me identify a heap of bush foods that I guess you could probably survive off. Although (kind of off the subject) everything I've found has been to unpalatable or to hard to extract to make a viable food source.

Peace

i just ordered "Wild Food Plants: Field Guide by Tim Lowe", i read before that was a bit of a staple. there's a medicine plants version as well, it's being reprinted come november i think

http://bushtuckershop.com/

update: i got this in the mail today. maybe i was expecting more, but for someone like me with little to no field ID experience it may pose a problem. just a broad photo with a (brief) description, i guess maybe i was expecting more detailed descriptions of plants, with detailed ID of leaf shape etc. Still, i think if I go to the BG's I may be able to see it in action. I doubt that, if you have as little experience as myself in identifying wild plants, that it would prove useful. I'll keep my eye out for a more comprehensive book I think.

If you're at all interested in Western Australian bush food plants, a good book that I've found interesting and useful is:

Mayi

update: i got this in the mail today. maybe i was expecting more, but for someone like me with little to no field ID experience it may pose a problem. just a broad photo with a (brief) description, i guess maybe i was expecting more detailed descriptions of plants, with detailed ID of leaf shape etc. Still, i think if I go to the BG's I may be able to see it in action. I doubt that, if you have as little experience as myself in identifying wild plants, that it would prove useful. I'll keep my eye out for a more comprehensive book I think.

It is fairly broad. But it's probably the best guide you could hope for, as something that can fit easierly in your backpack and which covers the whole of Australia. If your looking for something more detailed you'd probably want to look at a guide which concentrates on specific regions.

But if you like to travel our great land and like bushwalking, then you'll probably be surprised with what you do end up identifying with it. I was and I ain't no expert either.

Peace