The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

ephedroxane

a P.org'er asked what i thought was an interesting & relevant question, so....

quote:

So...happened to be browsing a few old articles I had on chemical constituents of Ephedra species and at the same time was aquainting myself with "speedy" chemicals used for increased concentration/energy and noticed an odd similarity between an ephedrine-derived alkaloid found in a few Ephedra species (eg. E. distachya and E. intermedia) called ephedroxane and one of the chemicals used for increased concentration, 4-methylaminorex (4-MA or 4-MAR)...apparantly ephedroxane is a 2-keto version of 4-MAR! The articles I could find checked for various central nervous system and ant-inflammatory actions and found that it was a CNS depressant (unlike ephedrine/pseudoephedrine OR 4-MAR) and an anti-inflammatory...so is this 2-amino group necessary for stimulant properties of 4-MAR? Does anyone have any references for analogs at the 2 position of 4-MAR or aminorex that might explain this? The tests were all done in mice or guinea pigs so it is not necessarily applicable to us and I can't find any cases of testing ephedroxane in humans or even any articles that note the structural similarities between the two...any thought here?

original post

[ 22. September 2005, 20:20: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

Ill never forget the few times I had Methyaminorex, amazing stuff, like a super meth high wihtout all the jitters or most of the yucky side effects and the actual high rather jst stimulation lasted forever, like a good 36hr.

did it taste really really wrong?

rather disgusting with a hint of pilliness (if you know what i mean) what i am thinking of is gross but not disgusting

i realize this dosnt really make any sense but im sure anyone who had tasted this stuff would know exactly what i mean

quote:

i did also notice that both ephedroxane and methylaminorex have structural similarity to another compound, pemoline - was used for ADHD treatment until liver toxicity was noted...it differs from methylaminorex by having a keto group in place of the methyl at the 4 position (ie. it is "4-keto-aminorex) but the effects of pemoline do not sound anywhere near as interesting as methylaminorex....

still can't find any cases of ephedroxane effects on humans, but i did have another thought

if a bit more research is pushed into ephedra alkaloid biosynthesis, maybe "we" can engineer the plant (Ephedra or another ephedra alkaloid accumulating plant like Sida cordifolia or Catha edulis) to transaminate that keto group in ephedroxane thus producing a plant which accumulates a hydrogenated form of methylaminorex...or add a few more steps (eg. hydroxylation, dehydration) and bingo -
a plant which accumulates methylaminorex itself
...yay

right...someone needs to buy me a lab

• Like 1