The Corroboree
obtuse

Will Rekowski aka Gomaos has died.

Negging people for showing compassion has nothing to do with whether Gom deserves criticism or not. Whoever is doing the negging is negging the people making the comments, not Gom himself, comments which have been made in heartfelt sympathy for the death of a fellow community member. How are those negs deserved?

If someone disagrees with a statement made about gom then he's got a right to neg. For example if someone got ripped off by him then he would likely neg people who praise his generosity . However, I will look into it and see if it is systematic. problem is that all I see is Mr Pink with negs and others with positives, ie the exact opposite of what is being decribed. I've been looking at this thread many times today and it has always been that way round. So I am a bit lost at where to start.

Edit: Looks like there was some systematic negging going on, followed immediately by some systematic pozitising. Neither is acceptable, but I am inclined to cut the latter more slack given the circumstances [and because it saves me from having to undo them all].

A man who spoke his mind even if it caused him great discomfort. I admired this in Will.

As sad as this is I suspect in a way part of him got what he wanted.

I'm sure he's in a more comfortable place now. This dimension can be painful for some souls.

Edited by ethnodude
  • Like 1

16 negs for Mr Pink's post.... is that a record?

One of those negs is mine, just out of principle. I had a good friend die earlier this year, from a head injury as it happened although he used to be quite heavily into the heroin scene. I posted an announcement on facebook to let some mutual friends know that the funeral detail would be announced and some bastard posted a youtube vid of "Needle and the Damage Done" by Neil Young. Just pure insensitivity to those people closer to the departed who were in mourning. Your post, Mr Pink, stank in exactly the same way.

I never met or dealt with Gom personally although his internet presence couldn't be missed. Rest in peace and enjoy whatever happens after that.

Never met Gom, but people I know say he was a generous & helpful soul.

RIP Gom

Gom was undeniably a cranky, irrascible, opinionated old bugger, and I never had the chance to meet him, but he always treated me with the utmost respect and generosity in our conversations. And he loved his son Oscar as much as any dad could love his kids. That's all I need to know.

I for one will miss him incredibly, as much as I miss others who have been lost too early.

Peace, Will.

• Like 1

I've seen Gomaos around these forums for the past five years but I regret I never had any dealings with him. A sad day for the corroboree indeed. You've gone back home brother.

Sad to see another good one gone.

For the shit stirrers and insulters I'd just like to point out something to ponder upon- isnt it odd how when one has a bad day for oneself they excuse their crankiness and course attitude as excusable because its a bad day but they never give that concession to others. Of course Gom had bad days now and then, everyone does, and some travel an even harder road than others.

• Like 4

RIP Will you will be missed.

My heart goes out to your family.

Till we meet again

wow, this news is suprising. I've also done trades with him in the past and learned a lot about plants and cacti from his posts. What happened to him? Who was the other SAB member that passed away recently?

I had nothing but good dealings with him. I'll miss his little blue watering can on ebay. RIP

RIP and cheers mate :) your presence will never be forgotton.

Goodbye Will,hope you found the peace you deserved.You will be

missed.

Andrew.

Oh no!!!

:(:o:huh::blink::unsure::(

May you find peace in the next phase.... Goodbye.

When I die please reveal all my personal info and tell my life story... show people who I really was :innocent_n:

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

2 plantheads in the space of a week, very sad indeed.

Oh no, who else?!

rip Will. Was good catching up with you and the Brisbane ethno community at the couple of Botanical garden meets I went too. Was sad to hear that your vegas house got affected by the floods this year. Warm wishes to your family and son. Your plants will live on in my garden.

Not good at all. Im pretty sure I did a few trades with Gom and I certainly got some entertainment from some of his posts. Sad to hear this news.

• Like 1

Dear Gom, I wasnt very close to you but im very sorry to find out you passed away! I certainly wont praise you only based on the fact your gone now but its sad to see another member of our Community go. To me, you always seemed to be a reminder of a time that is long gone now. Something that reminds me of the stories my parents once shared about the times when they were living the summer of love. It also felt to me that your summer of love didnt actually end. Ever. You did the best to maintain the spirit of that time and in psychedelics, you found a handy tool and constant companion. Some say you overdid it but hey, who hasnt had times when they got lost somehow and tried to fill a void with something else. I, for one know how that feels. Like i said, you werent perfect but i always felt like you had an honest soul. Somehow, it felt to me that you are the Archetype of a hippie who´s trying to fit in nowadays society but didnt really find a place. Thats why you created a forum where you could be nothing but yourself. By doing this, you created a safe haven for many likeminded people and gave em a place to feel home. Though many people try to make it up, there never was a feud between the two Australian Ethno Forums and i wish everyone from AE nothing but the best. Gom, we both know you werent always easy to deal with and that some of the anger people have may probably be justified somewhere, but deep inside your thick skin, you had some very nice characteristics that will be terribly missed by the people you leave behind. I still have some of the Woodrose seeds you sent me many years ago and guess what; they are still viable! Though you are gone now, you left so many plants and seeds behind and i am sure that they will be grown for the next decades. I will plant some of the nervosa seed now to create new life and to remind me why the circle of life is so important.

I hope that all our mutual Friends and members from your forum would honor you as an Admin by keeping up the forum you once started. I know it wont be easy and i can promise you that your people are very welcome on SAB if it´s not possible to follow your footsteps. Though it always looked there was a distance between the two boards, we were always nothing but ONE big Community and we will make sure that the ethnobotanical scene wont split in two over this event. I give you my word. To say goodbye, sincerely EG

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 4

Sad news,

sadder that Oscar is now without a father. Does anyone know if his mother is still around?

I just realized exactly who this is.... now I'm really sad :(

• Like 1

Very sad to hear of gom's passing. I too got my first cacti from gomaos many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed reading his posts at the old AE forums and his short stories - he seemed like he had seen a lot of the world in his time. It's a shame I never got to meet the man who got me involved in ethnobotany in the first place. RIP

Oh shit another one down? Crazy times.

Never had any interactions with the guy but I know he meant something to alot of people in the plant scene.. Sad to hear he had a kid too.. RIP gom.

Very sad for his young children...it's also very sad that he was so down on himself. He had such low self esteem.

I didn't know him really....many years ago when he joined SAB, I offered to put up a website for him ("Gomaos' Garden") - he had said that he didn't know how to create a site offering his plants, etc. so I offered. I spent hours re-sizing pics & working up the website graphics (I did code, but was never a designer).

Once I actually put up an initial site - he never once said thanks & he acted like it was some sort of deserved community service (?) ... when we corresponded - he didn't even seem to get that it was me that did the site? he didn't demand anything, but he made requests and never said thanks...he sent me packets of envelopes of old photos, upon his request, that I scanned (included nude pics of himself from the 70's) and uploaded to the website... he sent me emails to correct any errors on the site.

I could never understand him