The Corroboree

I doubt very much that is a virus infection in the pic in the first post. Virus spread through a plant by infecting new cells produced from an infected cell. Therefore a virus would not spread "around" the column but only from the tip after initial infection. Also circular pattens tend to indicate either fungal or bacterial infections rather than viral, or possibly a sap sucking insect.

Mutants close up pics look very much like a fungal infection but the rest of mutants pics and the pics in post 1 resemble some marking that I remember seeing on some of my PC after spraying with aerosol confidor on one occasion and pyrethrum on another.

• Like 1

I doubt very much that is a virus infection in the pic in the first post. Virus spread through a plant by infecting new cells produced from an infected cell. Therefore a virus would not spread "around" the column but only from the tip after initial infection. Also circular pattens tend to indicate either fungal or bacterial infections rather than viral, or possibly a sap sucking insect.

Mutants close up pics look very much like a fungal infection but the rest of mutants pics and the pics in post 1 resemble some marking that I remember seeing on some of my PC after spraying with aerosol confidor on one occasion and pyrethrum on another.

that is simply not true at all, I cannot accept it, and must question it...

Viruses of plants are well known to be able to be spread through vascular tissue, it is not a matter of infected cells reproducing. They can and do spread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobamovirus

The infection is localized to begin with but if the virus remains unchallenged it will spread via the vascular system into a systemic infection.

Likewise circular patterns from viruses are well known

http://www.cactusnursery.co.uk/images/opuntia.jpg

Additionally they can be circles, rings or spots.

One virus is even called ring spot virus...

Bacteria and fungi produce necrosis, not discoloration.

Pyrethrum damage also produces necrosis or even kills them outright, it does not produce spots or marks like a virus does instead it burns them and destroys their skin, it does not leave the skin intact and produce little marks.

The damage caused by pyrethrum is called a burn for a reason.

Edited by Gunter

I also dont believe that virals wouldnt spread aroun the column. No Reason why, just dont believe it. :lol:

Edited by Evil Genius

that is simply not true at all, I cannot accept it, and must question it...

Viruses of plants are well known to be able to be spread through vascular tissue, it is not a matter of infected cells reproducing. They can and do spread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobamovirus

Likewise circular patterns from viruses are well known

http://www.cactusnursery.co.uk/images/opuntia.jpg

Additionally they can be circles, rings or spots.

One virus is even called ring spot virus...

Bacteria and fungi produce necrosis, not discoloration.

Pyrethrum damage also produces necrosis or even kills them outright, it does not produce spots or marks like a virus does instead it burns them and destroys their skin, it does not leave the skin intact and produce little marks.

The damage caused by pyrethrum is called a burn for a reason.

Nothing that I stated is incorrect. Plant viruses do habitat and reproduce within plant cells. There are many vectors for plant viruses to spread from plant to plant but what I am getting at is that it is very unlikely that a virus will spread through the plant in the picture the way what ever is effecting it has. Yes there are viruses that produce ring patterns but fungal and bacterial diseases are much more common, many many of which produce ring shaped symptoms. As for fungal and bacterial infections not producing discolouration... that is absolutely wrong. Fungal infections will ALWAYS produce discolouration, especially during early infection, as the hyphea invade surrounding cells, steal nutrients and disrupt cell function. As the infection progresses a necrotic center can form from the consumed plant material and a discoloured halo will be visible surrounding the necrosis where the fungus is continuing to invade and feed. Sometimes this discolouration is yellow or sometimes it's red or pink. Depends upon the specific fungus and its host. Bacteria can produce similar symptoms to fungal with some differences.

I'm not saying it's not a virus, I'm saying it's unlikely from what I can see from the image and considering the fact that plants fungal pathogens out number viral pathogens in variety and instance by more than 100 to 1. There is more I could say about the methodology of identifying plant diseases but I don't have the time at the moment so I'll leave it there.

Edited by ENtiTY

hey mutant does it look similar to this, my psycho0 all of a sudden started developing these white blotches which are a little sunken, happened almost overnight. came home after a fairly hot day and found it like this, eileen was much worse and got hacked and left 3 pups which look ok. now the yowie is looking a little suspicious but everything else still looks ok. the white blotch near the tip is snail or slug damage, bastards :angry:

post-7899-0-92509000-1322470818_thumb.jp

psycho0

post-7899-0-82718400-1322470821_thumb.jp

psycho0

post-7899-0-15671400-1322470824_thumb.jp

yowie

post-7899-0-92509000-1322470818_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-82718400-1322470821_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-15671400-1322470824_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-92509000-1322470818_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-82718400-1322470821_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-15671400-1322470824_thumb.jpg

oh shit elwad dont tell me...

but it could be sunburn, i got some hellish sunburn last week so severe i had to do the chop...

some other plants i had with yellow splotches came good once they were put in the ground , which is why i believe it to be a symptom of stress... as all affected plants in my collection were in dire need of re-potting , i wont put off re-potting again .. better yet im gonna try get them all in the ground from now on.

yeah i'm hoping it's just from stress, it was freakishly hot all of a sudden. and the areas were all northwest facing. i actually cut the top 2 inches of the eileen into horizontal slices to follow the blotch under the skin to see if it was an insect. was almost like a bubble under the skin that fininished just before the tip, shoulda taken photos :BANGHEAD2: the worst affected areas that were sunken in did not have the bubble syndrome though. only the marginally affected bits did, which looked like they were going to get worse. pray it stops and doesn't spread. now i have to decide whether or not to put yowie in the ground or not.

also could commercial soil suppliers have viral/bacterial agents in their soil and either don't know or don't care? i wanted to make my own organic mix but the raised bed i built for my trichs took 5 cubic metres to fill so it wasn't an option

could be sun could be sun + viral