The Corroboree
apothecary

Smoking mixes

Wow, the search faeries like me today!

Just a quickie, threw this stuff together a week ago and it's been interesting ever since... amounts are "averages"... nothing was formally measured, weighed, whatever...

First I chucked a good half handful of this "mystery salvia" that popped up down the back... looks somewhere between S.gregii and S.coccinea..blue n pink flowers on very widely spaced flower heads, hairy leaves, very pungent odour... quite pleasant inn itself. Got seeds if yez want some.

I then added half that amount again of very well cured mint scented lions tail (leaf n flowers)... chopped real fine.

Then two whole cured single white brug flowers, minus green bits... chopped to dust once again.

Half a handful of Salvia leucantha leaves, well cured, fine chopped.

Maybe a quarter handful of Datura stramonium leaves, dried but not overly cured.

And (bear with me here) maybe a tablespoon of well cured and fine cut lavendar.

On all this, I drizzled about 40 drops of a commercial valerian tincture (made by Greenharvest, 20 drops in a glass of water puts meo n my arse rest of the day) ... this stuff is in an alc. base, so it starts off pretty wet but a lil stir near a window and it all dried out nicely.

Then chop mix and stir like hell.... tucked into a tally ho or as a couple of fast pipes, I find this stuff hits quite a few fun buttons, thought it can leave you groggy the next morning (drink more water). In the meantimme it swings on about a half hour cycle for around 4 hours ... from chilled and quiet to up and bouncing, CEVs and the odd OEV (disturbances rather than "objects"). Never felt impaired, but there was the distinct back of the throat and 4th chakra or so tropane/anticholinergin feeling... that slight trembling expectancy. I have some to some tokers I know and the first report was wow, that doubles my buds no worries... but then they chewed thru it twice as fast out of novelty value :P

Otherwise I spent a good deal of the last couple nights sittin on the back steps looking at the stars, and getting a giggle when the glowing points of light would then stay with me as I looked at the dark ground, went inside, whatever... showing up as black stars against white walls... not bad at all.

Only real hassle is this stuff smells at least 500 times more illegal than any cone I've smelt for quite a while , haha :D Wouldnt drive on it either... and havent tried drinking with it, though I can imagine it might not be real pretty... overall I'd give it a 7 outa 10 for dodgy hippy blends... made the already great task of taking some cuttings and shifting some plants around a lot more quietly spiritual.

VM

edity bit... forgot to make mention of the tablespoon of very finely chopped , cured but pretty fresh Hickory Wattle phyllodes... I find theyre good for "thickening" any thin kinds of smoke and might pack a magic all their own...that inner bark is certainly bright red and tarry.Couldn't tell you for sure though.

Edited by Vertmorpheus
  • Like 1

Damn, Vertmorpheus! Sounds like you should sell that gear commercially! Never thought I'd find myself curious about tropanes, but that certainly sounds like a hell of a mix :lol: So was it worthy of a trip report or would you say it was more of a shits-n-giggles type of experience?

If people weren't aware, darcy from Herbalistics is already selling a Maconha mix (search for Zornia on his store).

bit of hijack: anyone have any experience with this, herbalistics' VOID? or any combination of the ingredients, which from memory are zornia diphylla, salvia splendens, leonurus sibiricus, and lagochilus inebrians. well that's what it was when i bought mine, it is now:

Maconha Brava (Zornia diphylla)

Spendid Sage (Salvia splendens)

Catnip (Nepeta cataria)

Turkestan Mint (Lagochilus inebrians)

Wild Dagga (Leonotis nepetaefolia)

Dwarf Scullcap (Scutellaria nana subsp. sapphrina)

i would really like some of those on their own, especially the last one... it would seem that herbalistics is waiting for the supply of 'void' to get low, then topping it up with whatever is around! I'm yet to try the old blend btw.

haha maybe, I might just be a greedy shit instead :D If I knew what the other salvia thing was I'd think about it, I like to be specific where possible. Makes the allergy prone everywhere wheeze a lil more happily lol.

I guess I could do a taptaptap about it, been a busy kind of week though so didn't pay entirely as much attention as I otherwise would have... stay tuned but don't rush back after the ads, I guess. There was certainly very altered moments, but then othertimes you'd forget to pay attention ti lyou realised you'd been staring at the wood grain on the furniture for half an hour lol. had a lot of the usual bedtime trop thing going on too, extended intermediate state of consciousness where you think youre somewhere else...dreaming before youre asleep , kind of sums it up. None of the mates walking thru walls to rant about two minute noodles with missing flavour sachets, as with long gone xperiments with other anticholinergics. But not far from it either... slip into a daydream and a whole other world was hanging around on the other side, but never in an intrusive or disorientating way... the "pilot" stays intact, hes just distracted... so a lot of time spent looking blankly at familiar objects thinking "roundedmetalstalk. spoon. for eating. food. but is that what makes it a spoon?".

Teaming it up with a mild case of sleep dep...well not that, but allowing yourself time to sit and rest when youre normally asleep..so your own dreaminess meets up nicely with the added kind.. seems to help quite a bit if you want something more profound. Personally I kept it on the low side, not too often either, things to do but its nice to have a lil helper monkey riding the mind at times. WHen I did go to sleep though there was that typical thing I used to get with buds, where you lay down and don't feel the wrinkles in the sheets, every last ache and pain inyour bones, etc. Definitely a nocturnal, quiet kinda thing... bright lights and anything involving trops are a bad idea IME. Unless you want to start your own spotty vision post that is!

Definitely no driving, machine operation, banking, child care, medical procedures, flying of commercial airplanes, running around, dehydration, mixing with other things that tend to put you down and out, dog training, midwifery or anything else involving constant attention and rational thinking. Not that it ever made me feel irrational but some people myself inc. tend to feel a lot more ..."tempted" when trops are around. Maybe not the right word. Anyrate, the lil niceties of day to day life can seem a lot less important. And there was a bit of numbness, drunkness to how I used my hands.. still got a lot of fiddly stuff done well enough but it took a lil more attention than usual. Might be a sign its highly toxic, or just actually doing something unlike most entirely ganj free smoking blends I've had before.

Overall its a good way to veeeery slowly sneak up on trop effects with a few "friends" along to way to help you make proper introductions... any of the trop sisters can get very grumpy about people just banging on their door demanding to use the phone haha.

Also haven't really felt like a cigarette for a few days, and when I have one it just seems... pointless? And walked into a room fulla bud smoke and didn't even register what I was smelling, certainly didnt get the old mouth watering effect that I'd accepted I'd be getting for the rest of my life, no matter how long it was between sessions... interesting.

I know you can get skullcap at most places with the big ol jars of herbs... good place will have two jars of everything, standard and cert. organic. Priced accordingly. A few ebay sellers stock that and a whole lot more, I tend to have doubts about their storage and freshness a lot of the time though. Chinese herbalists stock it too but I think thats another kind, not the "normal" one people talk about. Which I have tried, and didn't do much. Tastes v. nasty. I think its more of a tonic component than a medicine in itself, maybe.

If you don't have any luck anywhere else, and you should, I've got a small but happy amount of the minty lions tail you could probably have. It's hard to get to know on its own, the taste and feel trigger the bud sensors but its really nothing like it... I exp. it as somewhere between half an hour at an oxy bar crossed with a couple strong coffees and a glass of wine. Quite odd and spacey really, but I have found it useful when feeling generally pooey... get up n go without the "go go go". Might just be how it hits me though. The normal wild dagga is probably more like getting stuck into sage, to my mind, with a slight flyspray edge that is probably stronger in the minted stuff but somehow more... penetrating.. in the leonitus.

Catnip can be had from eden seeds and a few other places, or as plants from nurseries, couple bucks. I didnt get much out of any kinds of it I've tried, Jackie French reckons its cos cats actually trip better off "catthyme", but I cant get hold of that.

Salvia splendens is from anywhere that sells seeds too, you can get plants from nurseries but with those nice sappy leaves and soft stems, they get sprayed weekly sometimes to keep the bugs off... taking it home and knocking it into cuttings, growing chem free from there on should take care of MOST of that, but never quite all of it.

Word is that simple red salvias are more fun than the "improved" ones from yates etc... there is a skinnier more feral version of red salvia (whether its splendens, coccinea or something of the two I dont know) of it you find usually on eastern slopes of ridges in cow country... same thing but way underfed looking. Bitter as hell, not a bad thing to do to pass time between cowpats. Stockmen blame it for miscarriage in cows, but then they blame almost every other plant other than turf grasses for the same thing... I think that has a touch to do with selling calves out the back gate to mates and telling the actual owners of the station that ah nah mate, sorry, lost em to weeds... Phalaris staggers is a very real thing, but I've also been told that sheep would prefer upland phalaris free areas but only have to go down into gullies cos their caretakers havent been refreshing their water... so its the grass they eat PLUS the massive dehydration and heatstroke... apparently.

That Inebriating Mint shows up at a few of the bigger online herbal places... sounds like itd make good bitters in a brew actually.

Ace,just think stinky faery sprinkles with a big warning label on the box, haha.

VM

edity bit - there were at times during a fair bit of physical activity brief moments of what felt like a faster , lighter heartbeat... nothing over the top, certainly nothing like some of the powders people eat... but probably not really clever if youre taking blood thinners, heart meds, prone to arrythmia, or planning on laying a concrete slab in the heat of the day. It made me feel like eating 2 or 3 bananas in a row, minerals and vege fats I guess... makes sense. Lecithin might be in order for people that tend to feel like shit at the drop of a hat.

Edited by Vertmorpheus

A few brief notes...

A half half blend (not sure how it came into being) of ground datura metel seed and stinky new leptospermum sp. growth (smells like domestos, you know the stuff) was reported by an "unschooled impartial observer" to be a fairly strong aphrodisiac in women, and has been found by quite a few people of either gender to nicely increase the impact of a pipe or two of their favourite smoke ;) No idea why. Things we do. A few wee pinches of it on its own left me sitting blinking and trying to get my head together for quite a while.

Also have found that cocoa powder in quite small amounts gives a smooth sweet richness to just about any blend, and would seem to help the goodies infiltrate the lungs too. Good for knocking sharp or harsh blends on the head. A little mixed thoroughly through tobacco is pretty nice too, a very contemplative, clearing combo.

I didn't get new lungs for Christmas,

VM

VM that is very interesting about the cocoa in the smoking mix, sounds really cool, i have often wondered about adding some cocoa to snuff mixes but have never done this.

Lately, I've really been enjoying a ~4:1 mixture of Tagetes lucida/Artemisia tridentata. It makes a nice tasty mix by itself or as a substrate for extracts. nananananananananananana! :innocent_n:

thanx 4 sharing your very interesting work vm!

was meaning to post about ratsch's roasted rue receipes.........

roast seeds,some smoke should come off, 150 degrees foe 40 mins should be a good place to start.

grind very fine,some say a better product is produced if only the outer coat is used.

soak in lemon juice ,vinegar or similar ,at least overnight.

allow to dry or roast to dryness in over.

regrind.

nice tasty smoke without the harshness or exploding seeds!

t s t .

cool might have to give that a go one day tst, thanks.

Lately, I've really been enjoying a ~4:1 mixture of Tagetes lucida/Artemisia tridentata. It makes a nice tasty mix by itself or as a substrate for extracts. nananananananananananana! :innocent_n:

Does the Artemisia tridentata add any activity? I have about 40,000 metric tons available here :lol:

Sure smells great when the fires come each year, like someone lit a incense block the size of a building :drool2:

Well, the mix has mild effects of its own, but nothing to write home about. I mostly enjoy the flavor as a carrier. I have smoked various Artemisias and they all seem to give a mild buzz, but I love the lingering sagey/minty taste on the lips and tongue. Actually, Auxin, seeing as how you like to maintain your mental clarity, you may enjoy the plant more than most. I'd compare it to the smoking equivalent of a sage tea. Yes, it does have effects on the mind, but it is more apparent to those who don't take themselves off baseline very often or have a well calibrated groundstate for whatever reason.

Yeah, we've got tons o' tridentata here also :) To me, having grown up in a farmish area of cali, the smell of Avocado leaves, Artemisia tridentata and some little gray fuzz covered compositae plant that smells of fermented lemons all combine on the wind to make the smell of my childhood. I really need to figure out what that last plant is....

an old classic thread for new members!

t s t .

so... apothecary! what you been up to lately? any new mixes?

This needs a good bump

My mix

Hops

Damiana

Echinacea

Panax ginseng leaf

a pinch of Brug

VM that is very interesting about the cocoa in the smoking mix, sounds really cool, i have often wondered about adding some cocoa to snuff mixes but have never done this.

Yep, I've also used crushed nuts. I also put vanilla sticks in my baggies to give flavor. Another really nice additive is acacia blossom, it has a honeylike aroma.

Until recently I used the following mix for two years: Red clover, shredded kanna, cannabis leaves left from harvest, acacia blossom, shredded vanilla sticks. All dried in blue lotus essential oil. Smokes really good and gives a good synergy with weed.

Now I just just crushed mullein and justicia pectoralis and it's fucking great. It smokes really fast and it makes the smoking of weed very light for the throat and lungs. Justicia adds a really nice flavor.

One day when I have enough money I'll just buy a vaporizer though.

Edited by amanito
  • Like 1

very inspirational, and quite sophisticated arrangement of botanicals.

i wonder, if flowers could be used to safely, re moisture a smoking herb which has dried out too much?

• Like 1

Why not, as long as there aren't any substances in it that could be harmful ...

That has actually been a concern, you know. I use acacia blossoms (dried though), having no clue what species it is and if it can be harmful or not. Same for vanilla and chocolate. I also have used green tea already. Kinda stupid if you know that I'm using this as a tobacco alternative, healthier and all that.

It would be really nice if someone has some refs on the smoking of certain herbs and consequences.

Until recently I used the following mix for two years: Red clover, shredded kanna, cannabis leaves left from harvest, acacia blossom, shredded vanilla sticks. All dried in blue lotus essential oil. Smokes really good and gives a good synergy with weed.

Now I just just crushed mullein and justicia pectoralis and it's fucking great. It smokes really fast and it makes the smoking of weed very light for the throat and lungs. Justicia adds a really nice flavor.

One day when I have enough money I'll just buy a vaporizer though.

sounds like a nice mix! I have been experimenting with incense mixes, using dagga flowers, kanna extract, hops, ground syrian rue and shredded jurema bark. love the contrast of flavours and colours of this mix, the purple of the jurema bark is stunning. was using a little square of brugmansia too at one point but it seems to cause too many chaotic synchronicities in life for my liking. the problem with vapourisors is that they are not powerful enough for things such as jurema and syrian rue...

I find dagga flowers hard to burn/smoke away. Jurema bark? Why, that wouldn't do much if it's not an extract. Syrian rue, hmzz, sounds harsh for the throat.

Could someone tell me the effects of smoked brugmansia and also the taste of that? I have some toé cigars from Peru.

Effects of smoked brugmansia don't become apparent unless you smoke quite a bit of it - i.e. you'll get a wicked dry mouth etc if you smoke enough of it.

The leaf is a pretty bland taste smoked, but it works as a great bronchiodilator so works a treat for asthma. The flower tastes like you'd expect smoking a flower would.. I like the taste personally. Used to roll up spliffs, with a bit of brug flower added, and sometimes a tiny amount of kretek tobacco for flavour (sampoerna, not gadangs) along with usual spinner... I remember I guy a passed one to on a dance floor at a doof said it tasted beautiful and like honey hahaha.

Potentiates cannabis quite strongly, and if you smoke a shitload of flower material alone you'll probably experience disorientation, hallucinations and general antichonlinergic drug symptoms but I never achieved such effects from smoking it alone (had to take some orally as well). Other people beg to differ and claim smoking a small amount of flower was enough to cause mild hallucinations, but I believe a lot of that is probably placebo\plant spirit\whatever you wanna believe.

I find dagga flowers hard to burn/smoke away. Jurema bark? Why, that wouldn't do much if it's not an extract. Syrian rue, hmzz, sounds harsh for the throat.

dagga seems to burn okay, just need to compact it down a bit as it tends to be very fluffy. jurema (root) bark because I had some lying around and the purple colour makes the mix look amazing. maybe its placebo but seems to add an extra dimension esp with syrian rue; you can even get an affect off rue just by throwing some on hot coals and letting the smoke waft about (nice experiment to try when investigating fungi).

A mix I've been making for a while is based on chamomile, and rasberry leaf. They make for a really smooth, little bit sweet smoke. I also love the way the chamomile crackles when it burns, sort of like the sound gudangs make when you smoke them. I also don't mind throwing in some dagga leaf to bulk it out. Although I haven't noticed that it has a nice flavour or any effect, it isn't harsh and is easy enough to grow. When I can be bothered I make a honey/water mixture and soak the dried herbs in it, then dry them (not completely) again after. Pretty smooth, pretty tasty.

• Like 2

brug leaf

dried shroom

bacco

jane

Just made a mix of:

N. rustica

Rose petals

Lavender flowers

Lotus Petals

Extremely pleasant tasting and relaxing.

• Like 1