The Corroboree
planthelper

heimia salicifolia preparation

I believe water is the best solvent of choice, regarding extracting heimia, and above tek doesn't use a microwave oven....

here a few pics of how I prepare the heimia plants, during the seasons.

the issue with heimia plants is, that they start looking very "poor", if you never prune them back harshly.

I have seen heimia plants in Europe, and they looked rather poor, as well although they received far more frequent rain, meaning lack of water is only halve the reason why old, mature heima plants hardly produce lot's of healthy foliage.

the problem is, old heimias mostly produce flowers and seeds, instead of leaves, meaning the yield of plants like this will be very low.

on top, I believe that those "poor looking" heimias, now produce far less activas,

whilst young growth, produces more potency.

the answer is to prune them back strongly, right after they received heavy rainfall, than they will grow back, producing heaps of very active herb.

I simply run the lawn mower over them!!

choose the highest setting of the mower, and yes, it's hard for me as well to, bloody run my mower of my beloved heimia...

1, shows heimia in a "poor" state, right after some heavy rain.

post-70-0-04446200-1390103619_thumb.jpg

2, job done, heima was cut back with the mower.

post-70-0-27797100-1390103724_thumb.jpg

3, one month later, the plants grew back and started to produce, lush growth and with higher potency.

post-70-0-83500300-1390103840_thumb.jpg

maybe, the plant produces more actives, when young or re shooting, because it's more vunerable to grazing, whilst an old mature and seed producing plant, doesn't have to worry about those issues, because it's, large enough to survive being eaten, and as well already saved it's kind via seed production.

heimia#1.JPG

heimia#2.JPG

heimia#3.JPG

heimia#1.JPG

heimia#2.JPG

heimia#3.JPG

• Like 6

Does your tech remove the muscle aches. I've never had it. I planted some seeds last week.

I have great hopes of using the plant as a companion smokeable.

Is it just boiling the dried leaves that makes people ache.

Thanks

• Like 1

I use this technique before this was posted and got a hardened resin. I am curious if there is a way to pull the alkaloids out of this resin and clean it up a bit. I am not concerned about using solvents or other chemicals. Has anyone seen anything on refining the resin?

I have sum material if any1 is keen

I know this is an old thread but I have some things to add. I noticed earlier in the tread that someone mentioned that this needs to be tried with Tagetes lucida. I can testify that the the traditional method for preparing Heimia salicifolia does indeed make Tagetes active so it is very likely this method will also work with it. Curiously it also has the same has a similar growth pattern. In fact, my plant will 'cut' itself back when in the 'poor state' (Old foliage dies off - haven't paid attention to which season though but could be after flowering) then resurrect itself in nice new lush growth from the roots. I may test this extraction method and post my results. I do prefer to do my sun assisted fermentation i mid-late Autumn though as the Queensland summer sun just cooks anything you put out in it.

I've just pruned my Hemia and put the leaves in a jar for sun fermentation. Its a closed vessel, i didnt want contaminants. I didnt add the stems, I only used the flowers and leaves. Maybe I shouldnt have chucked out the stems, but they were mostly woody. Anyways, I'm interested to see what happens. There wasn't much sun today so I'll ferment one more day in the sun before testing, and I intend to not strain it but use the lot.

Today's tea, after a good day in the garden before the heat and some productive planty output, was a little more spiritual and medicinal, keeping some traditional medicine roots.

Prepared some Heimia (Sinicuichi/Sun Opener). Starting with 10g aerial parts as an aqueous decoction, I've used it a bit but never really at a standardised dose. It's subjectively always been a mild tonic, pleasant but not at all overwhelming. It's a really quite a pleasant tasting tea, slight bitterness but on the whole palatable. Medicinally, it has strong evidence based antiinflammatory potential. In traditional medicine this herb is regarded as a healer and tonic with varied applications.

It's not had the full traditional period of sun fermentation but it has been given most of a day, just wanted to work with a dose while I had a spare moment, probably attempt to replicate after a full time in the sun.

This is said to be a powerful Teaching Plant when used in a way that honors the traditional use of this medicine. A shaman stated that Sinicuichi helps to enter the trance state.

"Sinicuichi is said to provide “strength, energy, and joy, awakens the spirit. Objects are very clearly seen in great detail. […] There is nothing unpleasant... Users say it is the remedy to secure happiness.”

To me, it's pleasant relaxation 'spiritual' tea, it's not mind-bending, it's a subtlety of plant medicine that heightens the senses/with improved perceptual awareness, calms and attunes with receptivity to the world around you. In a pleasant place, not intoxication, just greater attunement.

Extracts from H. myrtifolia that contain lythrine and lythridine alkaloids exhibit diuretic activity. Strong anti-inflammatory activity of H. myrtifolia originates from an alkaloidal fraction containing vertine (Cryogenine) [also antispasmodic, and sedative properties] while an acetone extract of H. myrtifolia has a strong cytotoxic effect on human promyelocytic leukemia cells. Sinicuichine is known to act as a muscle relaxant and tranquiliser. The CNS properties of these alkaloids has not been extensively characterised.

Potential inhibition of acetylcholine, enhancement of epinephrine, slight reduction of blood pressure and potentially increased memory function are some notable medicinal aspects.

It is a good source of phenolic compounds: Apigenin-7-O-rutinoside, protocatechuic acid; vanillic acid; apigenin-4'-O-methyl ether 7-O-glucoside (acacetin-7-O-β-glucoside); methyl gallate; gallic acid; apigenin-7-O-β-D-4C1-glucoside; 5,7,4'-trihydroxy-3-methoxyflavanone (dihydrokaempferol-3-O-methyl ether); dehydrotrigallic acid; 3,4,3'-trimethoxyellagic acid; 3,3'-dimethoxyellagic acid; 3-methoxyellagic acid; ellagic acid; apigenin; and kaempferol. 1,6-di-O-dehydrotrigalloyl-β-D-4C1-glucopyranose, was a new natural product isolated from H. salicifolia, 5,7,4'-trihydroxy-3-methoxyflavanone (dihydrokaempferol-3-O-methyl ether), was a rare natural product found.

Its high content of phenolic compounds, which may help in calcium deposition in the bone cells matrix, may lead to the extract playing a role in the prevention of osteoporosis.

Safety:

Rare cases of bradycardia and faintness have been reported at high doses. CNS depressant effects may be noted.

Had an interesting journey to the community garden on Heimia. Normally I'd venture there to dose up on some basil, get some calendula etc and caretake a bit but it was a nicer walk there and back. Just more receptive to the world, appreciative, aligned, attuned. Calming, somewhat anxiolytic. Felt like simply appreciating the calendula blossoms as they were, not needing more. The basil, as an alive entity, not needing more. Instead simply caretake the Hibiscus tray, water the seedlings, nourish the Holy Basil. Giving instead of expecting. Coming a place of satisfied fullness, rather than requiring 'more'

Edited by Alchemica

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2014 at 8:19 AM, doxneed2c-me said:

I use this technique before this was posted and got a hardened resin. I am curious if there is a way to pull the alkaloids out of this resin and clean it up a bit. I am not concerned about using solvents or other chemicals. Has anyone seen anything on refining the resin?

in other words, you haven't read anything, what has been posted in this thread!

the whole thread is only about, refining the resin, without any other solvents than water!!!!!

but, to put the whole topic in just a short sentence:

DARK GOO, PUT WATER ON TOP, DON'T DISTURBE, BE PATIENT, GOOD STUFF GOES TO FRESH WATER, AND IS SYPHONED OFF, SEDIMENTS STAY BEHIND, AND GET DISCARDED.

if you want to try differently, copy orbs salvia divinorum teks,

or pull the alkaloids with an a/b

alchemica, I will read your reply again, and than post a reply. different solvent do pull different active materials.

this tek, could maybe improofed by modiefying the ph of the water, at different times (sorry dyslexia).

Edited by withdrawl clinic
  • Like 2