The Corroboree
Stillman

salvia splendens psychoactivity

How would one know what is a dwarf or regular splendens?

Edited by klip247

The more I think about my few experiences with this plant, the more i feel it drawing me back in. this season i am going to grow as many different sources of this salvia as i can (will overtake both the inlaws and mums garden haha) and try as many different extraction and dosing options as i can.

i am unfamiliar with how a "credible" test would be carried out on the different products that may be created.. anybody who would like to get involved should pm me. there is no reason why this community cannot do a group bioessay and get some good factual information out there RE this plant, its about time somebody tries with it at least!!

d00d

• Like 1

I have a heap of plants I'll start you some off. Klip the dwarf, what I have called them, ar eusually only about 50cm high bred for various colours, most are just labelled salvia species as they have been heavily Hybridised (from my understanding) You can get some old school ones from the Nurseries which get really tall, the leaves are heaps stinkier in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have some seed here too ill start off early. Gonna do another nursery run in a few weeks and will get as many different varieties as I can.

Keep in touch in this thread stillman, and anybody else who wants to participate :)

D00d

Some pics of a few of my Salvias (not all are splendens)

DSCF2225.jpg

DSCF2227.jpg

DSCF2229.jpg

DSCF2231.jpg

DSCF2234.jpg

• Like 2

DSCF2225.jpg

This is the Salvia vanhouttei the apparent grand daddy of what we see in the nurseries as S.splendens.

• Like 2

How are you going to keep the genetics straight with all those other Salvias around? Is the vanhouttei active or some of the offspring? Are you doing lots of cuttings? ;)

I'm only propagating from cutting, but I know doubt will have some hybridising which I think will be interesting to say the least. lol I think I might have to get a heap of cuttings going and pass them around.

as far as the medicinal nature of the Salvia vanhouttei I think its the great unknown. We will have to do some research i imagine.

Mine are stragly too, they don't like winter at all. I will probably cut mine back and hope for green shoots.

Nice plants stillman, Ive got a few seedlings (Salvia Scarlet Piccolo) at the moment, they seem to be doing fine on the heatpad at 30+ degrees.

IMG_4530.jpgIMG_4531.jpg

• Like 1

The plants on the left from previous photo got eaten by insects, this is what the one on the right looks like now:

IMG_4647.jpgIMG_4644.jpg

Decided not to thin them out, the clumping together looks nice.

Edited by klip247
  • Like 2

Salvia "costa rica blue" just noticed its coming into flower.

DSCF2013-4.jpg

also 4 cuttings from the Van houti strain took well and are growing nicely. I'll propagate a few more and pass them around in a couple months.

• Like 2

This is definitely one of my favourite flowers

DSCF2004-10.jpg

• Like 1

nice. i keep trawling the internet for active salvias. There should really be somebody testing salvias against kappa alkoids

SallyD acvitivty