The Corroboree
Stillman

Tagetes lucida

So I have procured a nice Tagetes lucida specimen. Has anyone got much experience growing this interesting herb, I have only started doing a little research on it but has been used extensively in mexican spiritual ceremonies in combination with other plants. Its also an excellent hangover cure and apparently a natural anti depressant.

I've only purchased some seeds recently, but definitely something I'll be investigating in the future as well. The following is an extract from herbalistics..

"Traditionally smoked by the Huichol Indians of Mexico either with Nicotiana rustica or alone to induce visions. It is still used today as an incense in Mexico. Also called Yuauhtli, Tumutsali or Pericon. Tagetes lucida contains salvinorin-like substances whose structures have not yet been fully clarified (Ratsch, 1998)."

Sounds quite interesting.

I'd also love to hear about anyone's experiences with this plant.

From what I have read the drying process can destroy alot of the potency so the key I think is subtle quick drying, I think a strong tea of this in conjuncture with smoking this and maybe a blend of Tagetes minutus? spelling ( stinking roger plant).

After reading some more Tagete lucida most beneficial use may be with nausea and as a calmative during peyote/ san pedro ceremonies?

I grow one from the SS Peru field trip. Not sure if its lucida though. I have planted it out in my garden and it grew huge but i am not sure it would take frost in winter. Anyone know how cold hardy they are? bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Nice plant,leaves tastes like a mild licorice [anise], so more for cooking food.

The one i grew was just a type of weed 2 feet tall at best.

I have just started to grow this herb. I initially had a few problems getting good viable seed, but have over come that now.

Tagets lucida apparently synergises with Cannabis and tobacco. I have done a little bit of reading on this and discovered why this might be. Among other things T.lucida contains Methyl chavicol (AKA estragole). What I can conclude is that methyl chavicol is inactivated by the cytochrome P450’s – CYP1A2 AND CYP2A6. Apparently nicotine and cannabis both inhibit CYP2A6, therefore maybe allowing stronger effects of this herb. German Chamomile (Matricaria recutita) inhibits CYP1A2.

I got this info from here: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23400#ixzz1Zg2XSn2O

Combination of tagtes and these might be the most interesting way to approach this herb.

Also apparently the herb is only active fresh.

I haven’t tried this yet as my plants are still rather small, but I will and get back to you.

I grow one from the SS Peru field trip

which one?

i smoked an 8x acetone extract of this plant once and it nearly killed me i could hardly breathe for about 40mins. I remember there being some speculation that a drink of this was given prior to human sacrifices, so, you know, it might not be that great to experiment with. I certainly never did again - although I probably should have eaten a whole bunch raw to test that raw-only theory.

I remember there being some speculation that a drink of this was given prior to human sacrifices

Aztecs blew the powdered herb in the faces of sacrificial victims!

So give it a try.

I have.

The plant is still known as 'Flor de los muertos' I believe.

Evil Genius: the plant tends to die in winter but come back in Spring.

Look who´s here. :wub: How´s it going? Long time no see. Hope all is fine.

Edited by Evil Genius

So give it a try.

I have.

You blew powdered narcotic plant material in somebody's face and then ripped out their heart atop a scared sacrificial temple?

We are talking about the correct species right? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagetes_erecta

• Like 1

I can take it as a snuff or food plant.

But leave me out of the [ripped out their heart atop a scared sacrificial temple?]

Edited by devance

mie have started flowering right now :-)

hmmm acetone extract..... hehehe...... maybe a 2x xtract.