The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SaBReT00tH

Yerba Mate lovers thread

Thought I'd start a thread for fiends and lovers of Yerba Mate :)

Drink it at work every few days and it gets me through the day and makes me feel great. Thought I'd start by asking if anyone knows of a filter one can add to a mate straw so powdered mate doesn't pass through and into the mouth? In the commercial packages of Mate I found a normal metal straw is fine as the mate is just chopped into half cm leaf or stem but in South Brazil - Porto Allegre markets I bought about 1KG of pure powdered mate (they had about 20 different types, all powdered) and everytime I try to drink it my straw blocks up and I can't drink it. I'm thinking there is some kind of local accessory the Gauchos of South Brazil must use to drink this powdered form and was hoping someone would know where I can get it?

Do you use a spring bombilla? I find the tea strainer-looking ones don't quite cut the mustard, but powdered yerba sounds weird.. Most of the yerba mate I buy has about a 20% powder content. Are you sure the yerba was meant to be drunken with a bombilla?

Funnily enough, I have a friend who is a major entheo-head in Porto Alegre, who is also an epic yerba fiend, I'll talk to him and see what the bizo is.

Edited by Illustro Verum

Do you use a spring bombilla? I find the tea strainer-looking ones don't quite cut the mustard, but powdered yerba sounds weird.. Most of the yerba mate I buy has about a 20% powder content. Are you sure the yerba was meant to be drunken with a bombilla?

Funnily enough, I have a friend who is a major entheo-head in Porto Alegre, who is also an epic yerba fiend, I'll talk to him and see what the bizo is.

Hey man,

I have a spring one but used a flat one with some slits in both sides at the end. Thanks, that'd be great if you could ask your friend. Yes, me and some Porto Allegre friends took his bombilla to a park and used the powdered Mate I bought it worked properly. Maybe he had a certain kind of bombilla. I have about 3 and will keep trying them, but I've been finding the hole keep getting blocked up with the powder :(

Here are a pic with a few different types of bombilla I found: bombillas-para-mate.jpg

Edited by SaBReT00tH

I was gonna try this because my doc told me its good for inflammatory conditions with the added benefit of a mild caffeine buzz. How does the flavour compare to other caffeinated drinks?

It's kind of sweet grassy, if you add honey as I do. It's really tasty :)

I fnd it a less jittery buzz than coffee, though I prefer the taste of coffee to yerba mate. My argentine friend got me into it.

I have a plant growing that is around 50cm tall. Haven't tried it yet want to let it grow out a bit more first.

What method of preparation do you use to create your tea, assuming you were starting with raw plant materials.

mate is supposed to have as little dust as possible, so powdered mate is probably for making teabags of for cooking.

powder is also good for making the venezuelan mountain drink, which is powdered mate caramelised with molten and burning sugar and then quenched with water.

A cup of mate has more caffeine than coffee, but the buzz is gentler - especially on the come down.

mate is supposed to have as little dust as possible, so powdered mate is probably for making teabags of for cooking.

powder is also good for making the venezuelan mountain drink, which is powdered mate caramelised with molten and burning sugar and then quenched with water.

A cup of mate has more caffeine than coffee, but the buzz is gentler - especially on the come down.

Thanks Tort. By cooking do you mean boiling in a big pot and straining with a fine filter or using it in food? I'll also have a look on the net for that Venezualan molten drink, sound interesting and delicious!! I still recall a nice big mature Yerba Mate tree in the Adelaide Botanic Gardens and was still wondering if it's possible to do some kind of home roasting in the oven or if it needs a heavy cooking process like standard Tea leaves?

i've recently made the change from coffee to mate. its awesome.

i didnt like the taste at first but i didnt like coffee at first either. honey is a must for me.

i've noticed a metalic taste lately and i think its because my bombilla isn't stainless steel and its oxidising on the inside... so maybe stainless is best

the bombilla is actually #93 in the pic

Edited by 2meke

You could use the powdered mate in a saucepan with milk and you will get a green milky drink,good bedtime drink :), sweeten or not, your call My Argentinian friends drank this alot!

Does anyone know where I can get seeds / plants in Australia please?