The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

Some plants of interest

Someone gave me a fascinating book on medicinal plants that has a selection of a huge amount of oplants and their medical properties.

The following plants caught my eye:

Adlumia fungosa - action: narcotic

Aerva javanica - action: narcotic

Corydalis cava - action: sedative, hallucinagen

cypripedium calceolus - action: sedative, mood enhancer, tranquiliser.

Any one have any knowledge of these plants??

• Like 1

Corydalis yanhusuo is used as an analgesic and sedative in China and elsewhere.

I can vouch for it's effectiveness. The 5x is still available, but the 25x is mostly pulled from the market these days. A few unscrupulous companies still provide it, despite the proven health hazards.

Repeated use of the extracts is said to cause idiopsyncratic pre-hepatic syndrome in some after only a short duration of usage. Hallucinogenic? Not hardly.

I see no reason to believe that related species are inactive, but advise caution with new species with unproven properties. Start with a very small amount and slowly each day work up the dose in small increments until efficacy, toxicity or placebo effects are determined.

I am unfamiliar with the others.

What is the title of the book, if I may ask?

• Like 1

The book is entitled: Medicinal Plants of the world. Includes 320 medicinal plants and a quick guide checklist of 900 of the most important and well known medicinal plants of the world.

Its got everything in it prettymuch -

• Like 1

I humbly suggest the CRC Ethnobotany Desk Reference by Timothy Johnson, CRC Press, 1998 to be another valuable reference guide with 28659 plants listed by (1) Species name, (2)common name, (3) Family, (4) Range, (5) action, (6) Used to Treat, (7) Contains, (8) Indigenous use, (9) Use, (10) Body part treated, (11) Habitat, and (12) Comments, for each plant listed.

I have run into a few who have disagreements with the book for various reasons, but I have found it to be an extraordinarily valuable resource.

For specifically entheogenic plants and related matters, I can find no better reference than Garden of Eden, self published by Snu Voogelbreinder in 2009.

A similar volume to the first, but more specific is Native American Ethnobotany by Daniel E. Moerman, Timber Press, 1998. It goes even further than CRC in it's descriptions and usages by native peoples of North America.

Edited by friendly

Wyk & Wink write excellent books as guides, but not for in depth knowledge. I love their concise structure, but really, you have to look muhc deeper than what they write. Corydalis cava is a mild sedative. not even as good as the more popular Corydalis species.

sorry for sidetrack, if it interests you zen, they've also got Mind Altering and Poisonous Plants of the World, essentially same format as med. plants.

wow just looking up the authors other texts after T's 'write excellent books', found Wink's Annual plant review biochemistry and plant secondary metabolism, relatively fresh out, pricey but wow sounds interesting.

Edited by gerbil

Yeah i noticed in some cases they missed major things like salvia elegans being a potent ACE inhibator and stuff.

ive got a few texts - i really love that kind of stuff.

Ill have a look out for the other book, thanks heaps for the heads up.

Zen Peddler: I owe you an apology. I saw that my 'reputation' button (something new I had not noticed previously) had been pressed by someone unknown and given me a 1, so without thinking I pressed the button on your entry to see what would happen. I did not mean to give you a negative reputation, and I cannot find out how to reverse my action, so I gave you a positive 1 in your next entry to try to undo any damage I may have caused.

Please accept my apology; there was no malice intended, just stupidity on my part.

omtao,

friendly

Edited by friendly