The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Dunkel

Luminous fungi

What ever happened to the glowing fungus perti dish culture. Was it you Rev or Earthalchemist or someone else...

E D

Rev..... Reeeevvvvv...... REEEEVVVVVVV!

I want some too wink.gif

Guest saucer-like

We get those little glowing mushies around here alot. I think theres a few types in Aust' but these ones are the type that look like a proper regular mushroom. very cute and very bright they glow hard all night long and the biggest I've seen would be a little smaller than a 50c coin. They only grow out of rotting old logs on the rainforest floor and I've put some of the smaller logs in my terrarium but never had any further fungal growth. I could have a go at making a print if anyone wants one but I've never done it before and would need advice.

I was also wondering how reliable it is to get prints of OTHER SPECIAL mushrooms growing wild since the proceedures seem to insist on being sterile but a wild mushroom wouldnt be sterile anymore would it?

Get some paper and put it in an oven at 120ºC or a little higher (make sure the paper doesn't brown and degrade).

Get a sterilised glass (washed and cleaned with isopropanol, bleach, peroxide etc....) and place it over the paper that has only recently been taken out of the oven.

Now place the fresh mushroom cap with the stem removed with a sterile knife (use a sterile pin placed in the cap to move it around with) on the paper and put the glass over the cap and paper. Leave this for a day or so and remove the cap and glass and fold the paper in half. Cut all the remaining paper away with a clean pair of scissors and place the folded paper with spore print in a new ziplock baggie and Bob's your Marley.

Otherwise read a mushroom cultivation manual found at http://www.shroomery.org/ or any other site.

Good luck

hi, yes i saw those mushies, maybees

fly eaten one...protected allways by

dense forest wait a while and close to

water.true i wrote a pallative poem

about them.

its Pixi stuff with glowin insects as

well,bla,bla

Guest reville

I still have the prints from EB2001

i grew a culture but i lost it during the year

ill do another

problem was that althugh i got a culture

(the mycelium does not glow in vitro BTW)

very easily it wouldnt take to the usual grain spawn technique

It may need to be liquid innoculated - like a honey tek to the enriched sawdust of an appropriate rainforest wood

The ones i had were coming out of a tussock of grass, my best guess is to go the same as some of these other grassland species and use ryegrass seed Ala Psilocybe mexicanna

fruiting it is another matter...

best to just do the first bit then put it back in the environment it came from

old logs and rotting grass and hope

BTW i found soem really cool ganodermas at Mt Coot-tha botanic gdns

I think Ganoderma applanatum

and - also i found wild G lucidum at the City botanic Gdns coming out of a water oak

oh well it exciting for me

one more thing Cordyceps sinensis (some of you may remember the caterpillar fungus from Christians' talk) sells for $150/ 37.5g in the valley in brisbane - however i hear the fungus can be cultivated in bioreactors an also on Brown rice.Go i wish it would eat cabbage whites or silk worms