The Corroboree
Torsten

eatfoo has been suspended for abuse of reputation system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Godwin put forth the hyperbolic observation that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably criticizes some point made in the discussion by comparing it to beliefs held by Hitler and the Nazis...there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress
Edited by ballzac
  • Like 2

Sorry to bring this up, let sleeping dogs lie and all that... I just really didn't like this post of yours T, so decided to leave the forum for a few days which turned into a nice break anyway. I still feel I need to address this.

I think you're also assuming a bit too much about me as you seem to have little idea where i personally stand on the various conspiracies. You seem to assume that because I dislike the way a certain theory is presented that I actually dislike the theory, which has given you a bit of a wrong picture.

...perhaps, in that case instead of shutting down a theory, and the members who support it for being unstable, because of its presentation, try to mediate this and get to the truth of the theory by giving your perspective. If you (wholly or partly) agree with the content just not the style of the post, then you do yourself and the community a disservice by dismissing it and shutting it down without explenation (unless its a personal attack on someones state of mind). ...I guess you can blame the proponent as instable when they get defensive over people attacking them personally, (instead of the theory itself... we all know that fallacy yeah?), and by extension cast doubt on the theory because of peoples natural tendency to defend their ego.

because I see things from a different angle to you Torsten, I must be a lesser quality contributer (or even paranoid).

I've never said or thought you are paranoid.

I never said you did, although by generally dismissing conspiracy theories as the fantasies of paranoid and unstable people, the argument may as well extend to me for entertaining some of these theories.

I do know that you dislike me and the way I run the forums and that you miss no opportunity to state so publically, but I don't have a problem with that. This isn't a popularity contest and I've never noticed you damaging the forums in any way. Mind you, negging/pozzing 12 posts in this thread in as many minutes is probably faster than you can read the posts, so that probably came close to abuse, but looks like a couple of other people did that too, so never mind.

Now who's paranoid? How many ASSumptions can you make in one paragraph? Wow!

First of all this whole thread started over people taking disagreements personally. I disagree with you on a certain issue and now apparently I dislike you and the way you run the forums and I miss no opportunity to state so publically... If it wasn't for this public statement of how my concerns are nothing more than a personal dislike of you, thereby dismissing them as anything more than a petty grievance, I probably wouldn't bother with this here rebuttal. I really like you Torsten, you're a top bloke and all that, I'm just critical of what I don't like, don't take it personally.

I only positise or negatise after I've read a post, cheers for calling me a slow reader! :) So you disbelieving my reading speed is not abuse this time because a couple other people can read and rate posts quick too?

Not all conspiracy nuts are mentally unstable, but then again many are. It's not the conspiracy belief that makes someone unstable, but rather it is the instability that increases the likelihood that someone believes in conspiracies. When I called mescalito mentally unstable then this was before he even posted conspiracy stuff. It was because he was so unstable he shafted me on a trust issue. You should read the thread that caused the problem and I doubt you would still claim he was mentally stable then. And synchro even advertises his instability in his sig line, so please explain to me what your issue is.

so you don't have to be crazy to believe in conspiracy theories... but if you're crazy you are much more likely to believe in conspiracy theories, ergo, if you entertain/believe in conspiracy theories chances are high that you're crazy. Those conspiracy theories that I promote are sane, all the other ones I dismiss are the crazy ones :P

What's my issue? Freedom of speech, ad hominem logical fallacies, people trolling conspiracy threads and then blaming the OP when the thread turns into a shit fight ...but mostly, I just don't like you Torsten and needed to say so publically! :P

tbh, I'm not all that phased by the phasing out of conspiracy theory discussions, I find it hilarious that this community would take such a restricted approach to investigating the possible hidden realities around us, but to each their own. I'll stick to plants and occasionally expressing my dislike of Torsten from now on, I don't want to step on any toes and discuss taboo subjects.

I just needed to "please explain" to answer your request, and defend my position as a real concern, not "being argumentative and jumping on the bandwagon" or simply a personal dislike, ...and to think this all started because people took disagreements personally. :lol:

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 2

that this community would take such a restricted approach to investigating the possible hidden realities around us,

:unsure:

yeah!

but oh well.

• Like 2

This is simply not true. You know, we have no problem with people posting their opinions about uncomfortable beliefs. But there´s a limit about what a botanical community is able to take in regard to conspiracy theories. This is a private community with the focus on plants and ethnobotany and its not our very first priority to give every conspiracy theorist of the world a place to blogg his ideas on a regular basis. I dont have the slightest problem with people who do that but this is not the place for it. Chill Space is a pretty open forum and to a certain degree, i am willing to allow critical questions and topics. I usually dont interfere with the content that people post. And i know for a fact that Torsten doesnt either. But in the past, people used that leeway to spam some of the forums with posts that were out of place for the kind of board that we are. People can post their opinions about conspiracy theories, but one post about one certain topic simply needs to be enough. I want the chill space to be a cool place with all kinds of people. Diffrent people with diffrent believes and thats how we ran it right from the start. But my first second and third priority around here are to protect the ethnobotanical scene and to give their members a place where they enjoy being at. You know, if i´d go to the "911-Lose Change Forum" or to any global warming message board and open five threads about how nice my cacti shine in the sun, i already know where they´d tell me to put em in. :wink: bye EG

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 7

...perhaps, in that case instead of shutting down a theory, and the members who support it for being unstable, because of its presentation, try to mediate this and get to the truth of the theory by giving your perspective.

Conspiracy theories are not a great part of my life. Miniature animals, human rights, electronic media and music however are [not necessarily in that order]. You don't see me spamming this ETHNOBOTANY forum with all of that stuff even though it's my forum and I could. I respect that the people who come here do so primarily for the plant and pharmacology discussion. They will also bring a bit of their own interests and character here which is why there is plenty of scope for other topics and tangents. I think if I can respect the core purpose of this forum then I can also expect others to do the same. So when a particular aspect of posting becomes a problem to many of the other members here then I guess I am OK with setting some limits. It's not like we've stopped discussing conspiracies - we've just made them less intrusive.

As for the connection between unstable minds and conspiracies, yes you summed it up quite well, but I generally do not regard people as unstable because they post conspiracies. There are many things that go into making that assessment, including the posting style and the language used. I don't believe for a moment that you actually believe I would be making those decisions on such a simple basis, which makes me wonder why you imply it.

by generally dismissing conspiracy theories as the fantasies of paranoid and unstable people

Now look who is generalising ;)

I never did that.

I only positise or negatise after I've read a post, cheers for calling me a slow reader! :) So you disbelieving my reading speed is not abuse this time because a couple other people can read and rate posts quick too?

My admin panel gives me the first few lines of each rated post, but not the whole post. I am not a slow reader, but I could not even read this short form in the time it took you to read the full post AND rate it.

so you don't have to be crazy to believe in conspiracy theories... but if you're crazy you are much more likely to believe in conspiracy theories, ergo, if you entertain/believe in conspiracy theories chances are high that you're crazy.

yes, psych 101.

After more than a decade of having to read between the lines to understand people's states of mind here I've learnt a thing or two. Our community as a whole would already rate quite high on the paranoia scale, but that doesn't excuse the extremes.

What's my issue? Freedom of speech, ad hominem logical fallacies, people trolling conspiracy threads and then blaming the OP when the thread turns into a shit fight ...but mostly, I just don't like you Torsten and needed to say so publically! :P

see, I was right ;)

Please don't think I don't see the trolling in those threads. It's often a difficult situation because the highly strung and less stable nature of many conspiracy posters make them perfect trolling targets. But what do you propose? Let all conspiracy posters rant, rave and insult as they wish because we need to feel sorry for them? All we can do is try to hold them to the same standards as everyone else. if they can't handle the criticism then maybe they shouldn't be posting controversial stuff or at least should not get into discussions about it.

The problem with absolute freedom of speech is that it brings the discussion down to the lwoest common denominator. sadly the crazies, morons, and trolls generally have a lot more time on their hands than people who contribute substantial content. There are plenty of places that claim free speech, but this isn't one of them. we try to keep it as free as possible, but will intervene where it infringes on the welfare of other individuals or the group as a whole. That's the legal model of free speech used in australia where we do not need to put up with being hurt by others who try to abuse that right [ref westboro baptists]

I find it hilarious that this community would take such a restricted approach to investigating the possible hidden realities around us, but to each their own. I'll stick to plants and occasionally expressing my dislike of Torsten from now on

See, now you get it. This forum is about plants and ME ME ME :bootyshake:

No seriously, it's about plants. Which makes it so silly that we spend more time moderating the chill space than any other forum ;)

• Like 5

damn, my dad and his buddies where considering joining this forum.

What the fuck does all of this have to do with me being a tard with the little red button?

• Like 7

...it just pissed me off that you dismissed my concerns as nothing more than a personal dislike of you and a need to publically vent or something. I think you're a champ, for putting all this money, time and effort into this website and associated community, and on the couple occasions we've met you seem really chill, so it upset me that you reckon this difference of opinion is cuz of me disliking you. ...Meh

Incognito... so what's their problem exactly? They won't join the forum if there are certain discussions they don't like? Don't worry, discussions about their special boys club are at an all time low, the conspiracy theorists have been shown the door, or at least made to feel really uncomfortable, so your dad and his friends can join now.

...also, what's so bad about my post that it deserved two negz? ...I mean really, show me where I wrote anything abusive or misleading or trollish. "Ah, forget about it!" <--said Sicilian mafia stylee.

Edited by The Dude

damn, my dad and his buddies where considering joining this forum.

Incognito... so what's their problem exactly? They won't join the forum if there are certain discussions they don't like? Don't worry, discussions about their special boys club are at an all time low, the conspiracy theorists have been shown the door, or at least made to feel really uncomfortable, so your dad and his friends can join now.

Unless I'm off the mark, I think that incognito was being sarcastic (i.e. joking about her dad being a conspiracy theorist). I.e. - you were not being antagonized at all.

Edit:

I wasn't going to create a whole post just to laugh, but I'll append this one.

Conspiracy theories are not a great part of my life. Miniature animals, human rights, electronic media and music however are [not necessarily in that order].

BAHAHAHA :lol:

Edited by βluntmuffin
  • Like 2

Incognito is a girl?

Oh wow. All this time, and didn't even look at the "gender" tag under her avatar...

Don't forget to wash your eyes out once you've looked at incognitos gender tag :P

• Like 1

I don't want to be seen as the guy pushing some sort of reactionary hetero-normativity on this here forum, but having just spent a couple of nights camped a mere two metres from the debauched den that is Incognito's tent, I can tell you with terrified confidence that if he is in fact a woman, then she's not a woman in the way mainstream science defines it.

• Like 4

Incognito is not a girl. I know he was being sarcastic, his old man used to be the "grand poobah" of some lodge. So as long as their secrets are not revealed, him and his mates would be happy to be here, however by bringing up the big c word, he now obviously feels that his boys club will not be welcome here. ...that being the explained version of the sarcastic comment.

Edited by The Dude

Btw, just out of pure curiosity, is there any reason I can’t see my own or anyone else’s reputation points? When I was hanging around here last summer I could see reputation points by clicking on the profile, but now I can’t. Like can trusted members and moderators only see them now? Or do I have something turned off or something?

Couldn’t find anything about it in the search engine.

Peace

Your penis size shouldn't be readily available to the public. When it is available even to yourself people start discussing and comparing penis size and really it doesn't matter. apparently.

• Like 2

Seriously. Get your own thread dudes ...

• Like 3

Seriously. Get your own thread dudes ...

lol eatfoo, must be frustrating to see that thread still being alive. :lol:

• Like 2

More so that the thread is in my name and contains pretty much nothing but conspiracy debate. Wich i have no association with on either side.

• Like 1

More so that the thread is in my name and contains pretty much nothing but conspiracy debate. Wich i have no association with on either side.

Which is exactly what a secret Illuminati member would say!

• Like 9

threads often take on a life of their own. this one certainly has.

^^

do u still live with ur poor mother dude?

u must drive her nuts with this shite. if i where her i would have shook u out of the nest long ago.

damn you all for not appreciating my feminity u chauvanistic pricks.

actually, my daddy and his pals, just right after drinking the blood from a newborn infant out of their favourite freemason coffee mugs, said they r gonna hunt u down and suck the life from your left testy for releasing top secret information about their plot for world domination. you upset my dad, u bastard. now your gonna pay.

nah i like ur fruitloopery dude, i really do pay alot of attention to it, about as much attention as i pay a freshly eliminated turd.

viva la fruitloops!!

...Not that this is any way relevant but no I don't live with my mum, and we get along fine. The thing is she doesn't censor what I have to say, and then when bought up on said issue, tell me that my issue stems from my dislike of her, so I don't need to tell her she's committing the strawman fallacy of distorting/making up what my real position is and attacking that. ...so no, I do not "drive her nuts with this shite"

I used to think you were alright incog, I don't know why you felt the need to post that. The saddest thing is that it wasn't even funny. For someone that you consider worthy of as much attention as a freshly eliminated turd you sure spent a lot of time writing that hilarious response. Cheers for comparing my "fruitloopery" to a turd, awfully nice of you. It's a shame you do not see any sense in my writings, but that is not my problem, and I think your dismissal of my opinion and calling it shit was a little bit rude, but hey, conspiracy theorists are fair game.

Sorry eatfoo, it's this thing called ego that keeps me coming back to defend it. Then again I guess I don't need to defend myself from such a low caliber attack.

• Like 4

low caliber is my specialty.

but anyhoo, i really shouldnt go near the conspiracy threads, im glad slybacon has got a thread dedicated to such topics of discussion.

Dude, to be honest ive never been much of a fan, mainly stemming from the limited social interactions i have had with you.

i guess the online persona just compliments that image. But yeah different strokes for different folks and all that shiz, i aplogise for calling you a fruitloop and the comparison to freshly passed fecal matter. sincerely.

i can really be a spiteful prick, for which i duly apologise.

Edited by incognito